Will doing Judo or Sambo improve your BJJ?

gracie_barra**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've always wondered how much more beneficial it might be to do Sambo, Judo ,Wrestling or even Japanese Jiu Jitsu for your BJJ game. Anyone with experience on this matter?

Wrestling for your take downs and take down defense..Sambo for your leg locks..

Yeah I love BJJ (doing it for 8 months), but I love Sambo's leglocks and Judo's throws. Wrestling ofcourse also has great takedowns, and Japanese Jiu Jitsu has great standing joint locks. However, money is tight ofcourse, and I don't want to sign up to another course unless I'm absolutely sure.

Judo will impress your stand up to a new level and help a litle bit your ground game

no, judo and sambo are heretic arts and should not be practiced under article 5 subsection 6 of the Gracie Bible.

you would get the most out of wrestling imo

You'd probably want to go with Judo. It is a long time established art with plenty of schools. Sambo is in its infancy. It is a sport with tons of potential, but just 'isn't there' in comparison with Jiu Jitsu and Judo (on the west coast anyway).

Great for a recreational grappler like myself, but for a guy who is training regularly in BJJ already you'd probably best be served by a really competitive Judo school.

aaron_mag said:
You'd probably want to go with Judo. It is a long time established art with plenty of schools. Sambo is in its infancy. It is a sport with tons of potential, but just 'isn't there' in comparison with Jiu Jitsu and Judo (on the west coast anyway).

Great for a recreational grappler like myself, but for a guy who is training regularly in BJJ already you'd probably best be served by a really competitive Judo school.

alot of people have never heard of sambo. i just tell them it's judo with leg locks ;)

If you are already doing bjj, then go for wrestling.

Im learning Judo as well as BJJ. I am a BJJ blue belt and the Judo is definately help me round my grappling game completely

yes both will help your game a lot ... wrestling is probably the best way to go because it will improve your ground game as well as takedowns

I'd love to start doing judo someday but as of now my priorities are to continue to work on bjj strictly for at least another 6 or so months then begin taking my stand up game seriously.

Steeltwo said:
alot of people have never heard of sambo. i just tell them it's judo with leg locks ;)
... & shorts.

If you're not a very big and/or strong guy then Judo will definately help out with throws and your ground control, but wrestling's good too, but tends to require more strength then technique in takedowns. I would say BJJ, and either wrestling or Judo is the best combo.

wrestling > *

it fills the grappling graps in bjj. gives you that conditioning and takedown game that a lot of bjj'ers look like they're lacking.

Back