Will doing Judo or Sambo improve your BJJ?

high right kick said:
wrestling, cuz if u get good ull never get taken down.

Just want to ask: are you guys talking about Freestyle wrestling or submission wrestling? If its the first, the clubs here are few and far between. :(

Absolutely, Judo is great for helping BJJ, better balance, control, and obviously standing takedowns.

blanko said:
between sambo and judo i would say sambo.

The problem with Sambo is that it is hard to find a school that would have what he is looking for. Traditional Russian Sambo with the Kurtka would be perfect, but I think most of the Sambo is 'combat sambo' with no gi outside of Russia. And who knows what you'll be working on then. We, for example, do almost all mat work.

I would so like to work with the Kurtka...

yea, from what i saw and from what korean judoins told me; Sambo throws/takedowns seem to be a better fit for BJJ than judo. BTW, Kurtkas are cool.

I'm interested in the subs of Sambo & whilst speaking to a couple BB at my BJJ club, they honestly say, Judo doesn't give them any extra edge. He says, you have a slightly better understanding about controlling the gi & they are used to arm locks, but aside from that, there isn't much of an edge.

Sambo in the UK is pretty rare aswell. I saw one place though, I forger where, but in London & they only trained for an hour, didn't seem worth the travel.

yes it gives u different kind of pace and intensity compared to bjj- i would do wrestling as u can play the top postion better and it gives u excellent base and fitness

Wrestling is relatively easy to learn as a beginner, but essential for MMA. Judo is much harder to learn, but it will improve your balance, timing and throws immensely.

Wrestlers have to unlearn certain habits (leaning over, grabbing for knees, going to their knees to stand-up) whereas Judo has a better transition to MMA with the exception of going into the "turtle" position.

They are both great, but in America, wrestling is much more intense. If you can find a good Judo school, try it out. Just don't go to those YMCA local judo gyms because they do more harm than good IMO.

I really wish England taught wrestling as a sport rather than football, rugby etc. I like rugby, but at a young age, I've always wanted to do wrestling.

My University may even have a wrestling team, so I'll check it out. I need to get in better shape however to wear one of those wrestling training clothes.

I do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Judo. Judo helps my grappling game a lot. And soon, when I start competing in Judo, we'll see how BJJ helps that.

Big Red said:
My University may even have a wrestling team, so I'll check it out. I need to get in better shape however to wear one of those wrestling training clothes.

the problem with teams is that you need competition

I really doubt your university has a wrestling team, most lack judo teams and wrestling is at least 10 times smaller in England

I couldn't find a wrestling place near my house or a Sambo place for that matter (if anyone knows where to find a Sambo or Wrestling place for Vancouver , BC please let me know). But I did find like 3 places that teach Pankration. And one of them is taught by this Western and World Champion at Pankration. Their team also enrolls alot in tourneys that are strictly grappling (no Gi). So I am thinking maybe I should just take Pankration on top of BJJ. Pankration still has lots of ground work and ofcourse no Gi work. The school also offers Shootfighting (which is a rare find!). www.kelleesama.com if anyone is interested. So what do you guys think of BJJ and Pankration?

Judo has a lot of taqkedowns to choose from, if you have a great td coach at BJJ you might not need the switch, but if you want to learn great td's give Judo a try.

Back