Will concrete destroy my rubber jump rope?

Dyson350

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Trying to find a good surface for jump rope. My two options atm are grass and concrete but it seems like if I use it on concrete the rope will eventually wear thin and break. But grass is harder because it seems like it slows down the rope, any suggestions?

More then likely, nothing last forever. Even a leather jump rope will wear out over time. I would try something like a tile floor if possible. If not I still think you will get your moneys worth out of the rope.

true, the only problem is its not smooth concrete, it is real ridged

Trying to find a good surface for jump rope. My two options atm are grass and concrete but it seems like if I use it on concrete the rope will eventually wear thin and break. But grass is harder because it seems like it slows down the rope, any suggestions?

Yeah, concrete will wear out the rope pretty quickly. My plastic coated speed rope has worn through to bare wire core in the center. If you must jump rope outside, my suggestion would be to get a sheet of MDF (it's smoother than plywood) and lay that down and jump on that. A 4' x 8' sheet should be no more than around $20.

can you bring out a few squares of the jigsaw rubber flooring or even a big cardboard box?

There is a reason why ropes are cheap. Even branded ones.

i actually found a big piece of cardboard and started laying that over the grass. Jumping is much easier now that the grass doesn't interfere.

... or in other words, about the cost of three new jump ropes.

A good speed rope costs about $15. The quality of equipment you use makes and difference and I'd much rather buy a good product for a lifetime rather than keep buying cheap replacements.

Cardboard on grass will work as well as MDF but it's hard to go at full speed on a surface with give. Cardboard on concrete would work though.

Back