News Wilder vs Zhang

I can't imagine that the fight would last very long. Zhang is pretty slow and stiff, while Wilder is just really awkward-looking and uncoordinated at this point. Both guys carry huge power and are not that difficult to hit.

I think people are making Zhang out to be a lot more than he is. Joe Joyce has never been more than a big walking heavy bag. Guys like Joyce who's entire game is based on being able to eat punches and keep going never last long.
Fight fans have a tendency to pick the guy who doesn't have a big fight lined up and pretend he's the second coming, thats what I see with Zhang.
Wilder did look pretty shot against Parker though. His timing was gone, he couldn't seem to let his hands go at all. Maybe it was a bad night, maybe he got too enamored with landing a counter punch on opponents that simply wasn't there with his opponent but he looked lke trash against Parker.

Parker was Game that night. Perfect execution.

Always find it hard to hear someone is seen as average or a can. Zhang gave Hrovic a very very tough night. Dubois who's getting marinated into title contention again got shut down by Joyce hard. Same for Parker.

Good times for the division and glad the Saudis are making it happen everytime. With some luck we could get 2 undisputed fights in 2024. Could go anywhere from Usyk vs Ngannou to Fury vs Joshua or some other pairing

Zhang is a perfect opponent for Wilder, he won't be hiding.

That said, this is much better timing (career wise) for Zhang than it is for Wilder.

Will watch... even if it's at 2 in the afternoon ;)

Zhang is a poor man's old Foreman, heavy hands, crafty and reasonable durable, and more active than Wilder of late. Wilder winning after his last showing would be an upset in my mind.

Wilder has always had terrible fundamentals, but that's where he lost himself, trying to be more than he is. Just go back to the old step back, paw left hand, nuclear missile straight right. Nothing more is needed. If the killer instinct is gone then we'll find out soon enough.

Parker was Game that night. Perfect execution.

Always find it hard to hear someone is seen as average or a can. Zhang gave Hrovic a very very tough night. Dubois who's getting marinated into title contention again got shut down by Joyce hard. Same for Parker.

Good times for the division and glad the Saudis are making it happen everytime. With some luck we could get 2 undisputed fights in 2024. Could go anywhere from Usyk vs Ngannou to Fury vs Joshua or some other pairing

Zhang is terrible matchup for Wilder. Zhang is much better boxer & hits as hard as Wilder if not harder.

If I am planning Joshua vs Wilder fight then I wouldn't let Wilder fight Zhang... cause Zhang would ruin it just like Parker.

I agree, Wilder should be avoiding him if he can, shame for him he didn't get the Ngannou fight, that would be a lot of fun.

Wilder should probably retire if he can't find the fire he had a few years ago. His showing against Parker was embarrassing .

Wilder should probably retire if he can't find the fire he had a few years ago. His showing against Parker was embarrassing .
Probably but if Parker woke him up some and he actually shows up for Zhang, could be some heavy fisted drama we’ll never forget. I’m crossing my fingers as a fan of the Bronze Bomber this gets made.

Reactions: Po
I can't imagine that the fight would last very long. Zhang is pretty slow and stiff, while Wilder is just really awkward-looking and uncoordinated at this point. Both guys carry huge power and are not that difficult to hit.

Zhang has decent defense actually.
It's when he gasses he gets hit more.

Watch his fight vs Hrgovic

Zhang seems like a bad match up for Wilder.

I think they’re a bad match up for each other in some ways. Zhang is southpaw, hits very hard and is technically a good boxer.

Even though wilder is absolutely awful he has a decent chance against anyone with slow feet, and zhang is a plodder with a huge head/target. This is why he looked great against brezealle, helanius, and why he finally caught Ortiz in their 2 fights. However zhang hits harder and is way more proven than any of those guys. The fact that wilder is long and his signature punch is the straight right, is also beneficial against a southpaw though he probably won’t have the longer reach, which he usually always does have

I wouldn’t pick against zhang though, he probably catches and ko’s him within a few rounds, but wilder will always have a chance of catching him the longer the fight goes. If wilder gets past the half way point, I’d possibly favour him from there?

My guess is this fight won’t happen. Wilders spent his whole career following the path of least resistance. Even Parker looked done after Joyce battered him which is probably why wilder agreed to their fight. If wilder is gonna take a risk, I think this is more winnable than hrgovic or rematching Parker because of zhangs slow feet. However I think Parker vs zhang may be more likely and would be a much better fight as well

Last edited:
meh, Parker is average at best

Back