Why would Wilder turn down a 120 million dollar offer from Dazn

MoreKane

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
for the Joshua fight... to this day, i don't understand it...the human psychology of it

would of been the biggest pay day of his career. Now he probably won't ever get a shot like that again

for the Joshua fight... to this day, i don't understand it...the human psychology of it

would of been the biggest pay day of his career. Now he probably won't ever get a shot like that again
Because he felt like it should be 50/50. He bet on himself and was litterally always one punch away from that paying off. Or heck even a couple seconds away from it in the first fight. Or a judgement call. He gambled and lost some. Hes already rich. He still made tons more money off the Fury trilogy and he is a prideful man that didnt want to bow to Hearn or AJ in the negotiations.

Because he felt like it should be 50/50. He bet on himself and was litterally always one punch away from that paying off. Or heck even a couple seconds away from it in the first fight. Or a judgement call. He gambled and lost some. Hes already rich. He still made tons more money off the Fury trilogy and he is a prideful man that didnt want to bow to Hearn or AJ in the negotiations.
he probably assumed having Fury on his resume and the linear title would give him more power in negotaitions with Joshua and Hearn

talk about cherry pick gone wrong

When was that? any related link please?

Oh good. Weve never discussed this.

Hes not bright, bet on himself and lost.

It's 120 now? I swear that number keeps going up.

120 mil for a long term deal with dazn?

No way was it for a Joshua fight

he probably assumed having Fury on his resume and the linear title would give him more power in negotaitions with Joshua and Hearn

talk about cherry pick gone wrong
That's not an assumption it would have...Especially after Joshua took a bad stoppage loss. Could have been 60-40 the other way at that point. I wouldn't call fighting the lineal larger undefeated champ a cherry pick.

It was a 3 fight 100 Million deal supposed to be Breazeale and 2 fights with AJ

He turned it down and got significantly less and knocked out.

People criticise Wilder's career management, but this was his finest moment

AJ lost to Ruiz, meaning the 100m daZN would have gone up in smoke. Wilder got a deal close to 100m with showtime shortly afterward anyway, so it worked almost perfectly for him financially. Hats off to Haymon and Finkel .

He got 2 PPV paychecks before the global financial turmoil, if he had signed with DaZN he would likely have had none by now. The true 'gamble' would have been to sign with DaZN and it would have been a gamble that failed thanks to Ruiz and corona. . Did they see that coming? Who knows , who cares? You hire your business team to make you the most money, end of story. Aj beat Ruiz in the rematch in dec 2019 meaning no wilder vs AJ fight could have happened on DaZN by now, Wilder is probably not in a good place, now, but he is likely in a better one, that if he had signed that daZN deal over 1 yr ago, he would be looking at almost 2 yrs in virtual limbo

Hopefully AJ gets his big undisputed fight by the end of the year. As Whyte has a WBC mandatory due by Feb 2021, I hope that Whyte timeline doesn't interfere with a undisputed fight

Last edited:

For some people, pride and principle is worth more than money. Accepting less than 50-50 is admitting he is 'worth' less than Joshua.
He is already a rich man. Fair play to him to not accept that.

AJ doesn’t accept a 50m Instagram offer = duck.

Wilder doesn’t accept a 100m offer with contracts and all that silly stuff = good for him.

What is it with these incessant threads??

I heard it was $140 million anyway

100m for 3 fights; the breezy mandatory, then 2 fights with Joshua. Hardly a long term deal. It would’ve all been wrapped up by this summer at the latest (without covid-19). As someone posted earlier, fury was a cherry pick gone horribly wrong

For some people, pride and principle is worth more than money. Accepting less than 50-50 is admitting he is 'worth' less than Joshua.
He is already a rich man. Fair play to him to not accept that.

he wasn’t worth 50/50. He would’ve been if he beat fury but got a gifted draw, then got smashed.

Thankfully we now have 2 champions that are prepared to take the tough challenges, rather than just talk and spin!

100m for 3 fights; the breezy mandatory, then 2 fights with Joshua. Hardly a long term deal. It would’ve all been wrapped up by this summer at the latest (without covid-19). As someone posted earlier, fury was a cherry pick gone horribly wrong
Has Wilder confirmed this???

I know there’s articles about the offer but has Wilder himself commented?

Its insane if he did turn it down, that makes two Haymon fighters turn down big money, Ortiz turned down 5 mil which I find hard to buy that story, who on earth would pay Ortiz that much money?

With both heavyweights turning down huge offers I’m sure there’s some politics behind closed doors that we don’t know about.

Back