Why was Semmy Schilt so technically poor?

I followed his entire career and even back then when I didn't do martial arts, I could tell he was technically inferior.
Flat out lie. No you didn't. You probably found out about him a few weeks ago.

I'm a huge stickler for technique and come from a striking background. (I've done boxing, karate, TKD, and Muy Thai) I also gamble very heavily on MMA and dissect the smallest elements of a fighter's mechanics on tape regularly.

Thus, I can confidently state that that Semmy Schilt's technique was good. Was it the very best? No. Were there certain things he couldn't do other heavies could? Sure.

But he was certainly good, even by the standards of world-class kickboxing, then and now, and presented a riddle that no one really solved.

He was a nearly 7' guy with a good jab who, if you closed the distance, would splatter you with either his left hook or his brutal knees in the clinch, some of the greatest in kickboxing history.

For a guy with such a monstrous height and length advantage, that's really all you need. Those aren't my words, either, but the legendary heavyweight boxing champion Larry Holmes when talking about the match-up problems Gerry Cooney presented him, another very tall guy who had a good jab and powerful left hook.

As for "losing" to Hongman Choi, you realize that was a blatant hometown robbery? (The fight was in Seoul)

Nevermind that Choi was an okay kickboxer with a number of good (legitimate) wins before medical problems curtailed his career, dropped a prime Badr Hari, and went to extra rounds against a JLB only slightly past his.

I don't think you can say anyone who was proficient in Kyokushin was not flexible.

if semmy's "bad technique" means being able to beat the who's who in kickboxing, i'd much rather not have good technique

He just looks that way because he is gigantic. His timing and distance control was good from what i've seen. Maybe OP thinks Semmy's technique isn't very aesthetically pleasing but that's a different matter.

Last edited:
]
Easily imo. Hoost was for a time the main candidate because he had the most GP wins and it kinda became a meme to have him as the best, but one of those GP wins involved him getting knocked out by Bob Sapp twice. Semmy achieved more with zero losses to bumswinging football players.

He fucking lost to Hong Man Choi, who is ten times worse than Sapp, and proved that once the height advantage is nullified, he's mediocre

He just looks that way because he is gigantic. His timing and distance control was good from what i've seen. Maybe OP doesn't think Semmy's technique isn't very aesthetically pleasing but that's a different matter.
Doesn't look to be generating much force beyond his freakish size. He is doing the equivalent of tapping people, but with a sledgehammer

If you're the biggest guy around you often don't need great technique. The great thing about having someone like that around is that it forces all the others to hone their technique since that's the only thing that can (potentially) negate the size and strength difference.

If you're the biggest guy around you often don't need great technique. The great thing about having someone like that around is that it forces all the others to hone their technique since that's the only thing that can (potentially) negate the size and strength difference.

I had a practice just punching open palms. The dude I did it with had giant hands and all he needed was a slight tap, and it hurt more than my explosive petite hands..

Thankfully my my legs are big, so I can just turning my hip over and it's a bomb on the mitts. So yeah, it's fucking depressing when you realise the role of anatomy

Doesn't look to be generating much force beyond his freakish size. He is doing the equivalent of tapping people, but with a sledgehammer
Who cares what it looks like, if you can knock down people with a jab, that's tremendous force.

]

He fucking lost to Hong Man Choi, who is ten times worse than Sapp, and proved that once the height advantage is nullified, he's mediocre
By what metric is Sapp better than Choi? Choi was never the best but he was certainly a solid fighter who knew how to use his size. He also beat Bob Sapp when they actually fought. Also he's bigger than Schilt so by your logic we can assume his win doesn't count :rolleyes:

Have you ever wondered to yourself why every fight sport isn't dominated by some 7ft guy? After all Semmy is in your words "just a giant fucking around" so any tall guy who tries it will become the GOAT with minimal effort. In reality the best HWs tend to be guys who weigh around 240.

I had a practice just punching open palms. The dude I did it with had giant hands and all he needed was a slight tap, and it hurt more than my explosive petite hands..

Thankfully my my legs are big, so I can just turning my hip over and it's a bomb on the mitts. So yeah, it's fucking depressing when you realise the role of anatomy
What exactly is going on in your avatar? I'm assuming that is you based on how weak that person looks. Are you throwing a bad side kick? Your planted foot is flat, so is your kicking foot, but your hips are turned like a roundhouse. Is that supposed to be a poor roundhouse with your hands like that with your left arm straight out across your body? Are those these "big legs" you are talking about?

Why hadn't you responded to my prior posts? Why are you posting in here when you are out of your depth?

I have so many questions...

Last edited:
Oh common..you have to admit that Semmi had really weak technique... there is no scentific support to suggest that taller people are less flexible, so even if he's alot slower, he should be able to do proper shit
Even in the NBA that has the most athletic 7 foot guys you'll still notice they aren't as athletic or coordinated as smaller players. Anyone who's trained can also tell you that big lumbering guys, not even anywhere near as big as semmy, usually look like shit when they start off compared even to other newbs. It's hard when you're that big

By what metric is Sapp better than Choi? Choi was never the best but he was certainly a solid fighter who knew how to use his size. He also beat Bob Sapp when they actually fought. Also he's bigger than Schilt so by your logic we can assume his win doesn't count :rolleyes:

Have you ever wondered to yourself why every fight sport isn't dominated by some 7ft guy? After all Semmy is in your words "just a giant fucking around" so any tall guy who tries it will become the GOAT with minimal effort. In reality the best HWs tend to be guys who weigh around 240.

We don't have that many... All it takes is someone above average, like schilt, and the size does it all. Sapp proved it against Hoost

What exactly is going on in your avatar? I'm assuming that is you based on how weak that person looks. Are you throwing a bad side kick? Your planted foot is flat, so is your kicking foot, but your hips are turned like a roundhouse. Is that supposed to be a poor roundhouse with your hands like that with your left arm straight out across your body? Are those these "big legs" you are talking about?

Why hadn't you responded to my prior posts? Why are you posting in here when you are out of your depth?

I have so many questions...
Dude, you need to check this guy YT channel.

He is either a troll or the Charlie Zelenoff of TKD/Kickboxing.

I remember Semmy knocking Hunt out with a spinning body kick, and finishing Badr Hari with a question mark kick... he had technique, it's just that he was looked very slow and uncoordinated probably due to his large size.
Of course he wasn't as technical as say Hoost... if he were, he would have won 10 titles instead of four.

Lol. Link plz
Even better.

He has his own thread in the Striking Technique forum (that has totally deviated after 25 pages):
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/spacetime.4006411/page-25#post-158203853

Honestly.. @spacetime is one of the best trolls in this site and we should appreciate him. Plus he uploads videos.

Just look at this response from another user (in a Wonderboy bashing thread):

Claims he does not know grappling but spent a month or so trolling the Grappling forum and arguing with seasoned grapplers about why they were wrong - would ask dumb questions he could google then would argue about why the answers given were wrong.

Then type something about "catch wrestling >>> BJJ"

Not THAT is a good trolljob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back