Why was Cro Cop such a disappointment in the UFC?

Pride fighters were used to juicing throughout camp and peaking on fight week. I'm sure even just the timing of testing threw him off quite a bit.

Lots of factors.... completely underestimated the opposition, incredibly inadequate training , a lack of hunger and just a lot of overconfidence. One of the saddest mma events to me

Wasn't he having nerve problems by this point or did that come later?

Cage and no roids. Or at least less roids.

Loosing a split decision to Mark hunt and a UD to Fedor isn’t bad plus he was only 32 when he entered the UFC so I don’t buy into the whole out of prime thing. You would think he would train in an octagon though

If you look at history, virtually every legendary fighter started losing and going downhill around 32. And again, after those fights he lost in pride, he had easier competition for his last year in pride. He was already going downhill, had some easier fights for a year while still physically declining and then went to the ufc.

Even in the ufc he could beat guys who were easier, just not the top guys anymore (like he couldn't have if pride still existed). And losing to Hunt was a big deal since it was Hunt's 4th MMA fight.

Last edited:
If you look at history, virtually every legendary fighter started losing and going downhill around 32. And again, after those fights he lost in pride, he had easier competition for his last year in pride. He was already going downhill, had some easier fights for a year while still physically declining and then went to the ufc. Even in the ufc he could beat guys who were easier, just not the top guys anymore (like he couldn't have if pride still existed).
You’ve summed it up perfectly

Back