Why Ronda getting smashed is good for MMA

Frenchfighter02

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
While it is true that Ronda did bring WMMA to the UFC and put the light on WMMA, her getting smashed tonight was a necessary good.
Let's face it, apart from Cyborg, before Ronda became a star, there wasn't much talent in WMMA at 135/145.
Ronda brought something new, she had exceptional judo and would counter or throw anyone with ease and her opponents at that time were nor ready for this. She also had a near flawless transition to get to the armbar.
Add the fact that she had power and strengh, yeah she seemed unbeatable.

When she knocked out Davis and Correia people were tricked into thinking she could actually strike, but if you are truely honest, Davis was mostly knocked out by the impact on the throw and Correia is just a brawler with no real power.

Holm was the 1st true striker Ronda faced and exposed her big time by simply sticking and moving, showing Ronda had no technique, no footwork, head movement and most of all, no wrestling. If she can't clinch, she can't get the fight to the ground.

Ronda is a 2 trick pony : hip toss followed by a nice transition to an armbar. Sure she did it beautifully but as soon as other fighters starting upping their game and seeing thru that, it was all over.

Ronda has never been seen throwing a double leg (or single leg) or a kick...She did try a triangle in the rematch vs Tate but is was pathetic...

So yeah this is kind of the accelerated version of the MMA story, with very mediocre fighters, suddently one emerges with a particular array of skill beats everyone, like Royce did, making other fighters get better but she did not.
Amanda Nunes is a complete fighter with heavy hands, and you shouldn't expect a judoka who's been hitting the pads a few times to just beat her.
Ronda was so arrogant she thought she could still go in there and do her 2 tricks and it would suffice...But we have a real champion now, and it will take all the tools, wrestling, boxing, kicking, BJJ to defeat her.

When Nunes loses you'll call her a bum. Admit it.

i think its good cuz i dont have to see her mean mugging and acting hard and i also assume that she and her fans no longer thinks she is the female jesus christ anymore

She brought millions of eyeballs.

I'm super happy for Nunes and totally get the hate for Rona, but it's not even debatable that Ronda winning this fight would have been far better for the health of the sport as a whole.

All good points......Thank the Lord she is gone.....that was one of the most one sided ass kickings I have ever seen.... and I have been watching MMA since it's beginning......I think it was karma....she deserved it....

I wish Rousey would have won because it would have kept things exciting. I really don't care about any of these girls unless it's a spectacle like this. Full three or god forbid five rounds of wmma is a tough prospect.

She brought millions of eyeballs.

I'm super happy for Nunes and totally get the hate for Rona, but it's not even debatable that Ronda winning this fight would have been far better for the health of the sport as a whole.
So having the FAR inferior fighter holding the belt is good for the sport?

So having the FAR inferior fighter holding the belt is good for the sport?

Having the most charismatic fighter holding the belt is good for the sport.

That's how professional sports work. More eyeballs = more $$$.

Good ?

She still made more money than the person that destroyed her

This will never end. Fighter HAVE to be popular to make money.

Or keep winning quick and not getting themselves hurt and getting bonuses maybe

And people thought she could have beat up Floyd lol. 1st jab he landed would make her do the stanky leg.

No if Ronda had won it would have been good for the UFC as a show...I said Ronda being smashed is good for MMA. it might not be good for the UFC finance wise but it sure is good for the image of the sport.
this is Lesnar all over again. if MMA is to be respected as a sport you shouldn't be able to just come in here and use the same technique time and time again, specially if you lack every other aspect of the sport.

i think its good cuz i dont have to see her mean mugging and acting hard and i also assume that she and her fans no longer thinks she is the female jesus christ anymore
Her 7 minutes of mean mugging was stupid especially when she folded after the first jab.

I bet she's at home shadow boxing, thinking "yeah, I'm a mean bitch, they're just out to get me".

I don't think that's a particularly accurate assessment since it requires you to think her two tricks, the hip toss and armbar, have been figured out. In truth, she has moved away from that strategy since the Bethe fight. She is actively trying to stand with better strikers and isn't even aiming for the clinch. Against Holm, she tried to use the clinch as a last resort, but it was already too late. If she had anything resembling a game plan I think she could still dominate with her two-trick attack.

I don't think that's a particularly accurate assessment since it requires you to think her two tricks, the hip toss and armbar, have been figured out. In truth, she has moved away from that strategy since the Bethe fight. She is actively trying to stand with better strikers and isn't even aiming for the clinch. Against Holm, she tried to use the clinch as a last resort, but it was already too late. If she had anything resembling a game plan I think she could still dominate with her two-trick attack.
She tried a throw last night. Nunes had her at the end of her punches all but that one moment, and then simply shrugged Rousey off.

When you arent well-rounded, there are going to be terrible matches for you. Its simple. Rousey still matches well to most of the division, but not well against longer strikers who are physically strong and have footwork.

Most of Ronda's competition previously actually ran straight at her with their arms out. Ronda has a good chin - eat one or two, get clinch, throw, armbar. Its how she won every fight except where she landed a good strike in that initial hockey fight into the clinch.

They both looked terrible, Ronda obviously embarrassingly so. Compare the standard to Cody v Cruz. Women's mma is fucking awful and I'm tired of it being rammed down our throats.

She brought millions of new eyes to WMMA.
But those millions were impressed with the hype job, not the real athlete.
So those millions probably left the building faster than Ronda.

She tried a throw last night. Nunes had her at the end of her punches all but that one moment, and then simply shrugged Rousey off.

When you arent well-rounded, there are going to be terrible matches for you. Its simple. Rousey still matches well to most of the division, but not well against longer strikers who are physically strong and have footwork.

Most of Ronda's competition previously actually ran straight at her with their arms out. Ronda has a good chin - eat one or two, get clinch, throw, armbar. Its how she won every fight except where she landed a good strike in that initial hockey fight into the clinch.

The "clinch" you're talking about happened after she had already been getting tagged for 20 seconds. She had no movement and just plodded forward with either no game plan or the wrong mindset to execute it. Look at her second Tate fight to see how her striking has actually devolved since she's started relying on it. She routinely used it to close the distance and had considerably better movement coming off her more judo-centered training. I think her fighting retardation is completely the result of shitty coaching. Neither of us are going to have a chance at validating our opinions as she's clearly not going to fight again.

They both looked terrible, Ronda obviously embarrassingly so. Compare the standard to Cody v Cruz. Women's mma is fucking awful and I'm tired of it being rammed down our throats.

Did your mom neglect you as a child?

Back