Why no rash guards in gi tournament ?

In Nogi ibjj you have to wear a rash guard and cannot grab it.
In gi ibjjf, you can grab the gi but I can predicts lot of rash guard pulling and dq if they allowed them to wear rash guard.

It always seems to me that the IBJJF just lift many of their rules straight from the IJF.

In Nogi ibjj you have to wear a rash guard and cannot grab it.
In gi ibjjf, you can grab the gi but I can predicts lot of rash guard pulling and dq if they allowed them to wear rash guard.

but women wear them. mackenzie does :(

i call sexism

Probably so that it isn't inadvertently grabbed, screwing up grips. I find it plenty annoying rolling with guys who wear a rashguard under the gi. You're a man. Deal with it.

Probably so that it isn't inadvertently grabbed, screwing up grips. I find it plenty annoying rolling with guys who wear a rashguard under the gi. You're a man. Deal with it.

I used to be the same way, but you have a better chance of avoiding skin infections of you wear a hash gwardj under your gi

A lot of the local tournaments in my area don't follow this rule. Of the 4 I did this last year, only the IBJJF one had this rule.

I was told it was to prevent baggy rash guards from blocking cross collar chokes.

I thought it as dumb at first.

Than in practice I rolled with a dude wearing a rash guard that stopped me from getting a deep collar grip ANYWHERE. I ended up only getting handfuls of nylon as he fixed his posture and stayed safe.

I understand why the rules in place.

I used to be the same way, but you have a better chance of avoiding skin infections of you wear a hash gwardj under your gi

I have never gotten a single skin infection on my gi-covered areas from BJJ, and I'm on medication that makes me tremendously susceptible to skin infections.

I've never had my fingers caught in a rashguard, but I have had fingers caught in a t-shirt that was being worn beneath the gi. If the IBJJF permitted rashguards they would probably spend as much time and energy creating rules around rashguards and declaring them ineligible at tournaments, etc. to prevent competitors from gaming the system.

They're extremely permeable, how do they stop infection?
They stop your skin from being scraped, creating opening where nasties can get in. Which is why I wear sexy leggings for no-gi, for example. In the gi it's probably not enough of a concern to be worth worrying about.

Clearly if it's physically possible for women to do BJJ wearing them, according to the IBJJF, the problem must not be so terrible.

They're extremely permeable, how do they stop infection?

So are rashies, its been shown in several studies in judo that even on dirty teams with dirty gis and a lot of infections, people only get infections on parts not covered by the gi.

Any health benefit is probably after the fact rationalization for the rule- it is probably just tradition from judo passed on.

Only purpose for it now is for juiced out blackbelts to show off their abs at the worlds.

damn, cant believe how many dudes get butthurt over rashguards under the gi.
really?

Technically, for the women, rash guards are optional but not mandatory. Many women in the lighter divisions compete in just a sports bra under the gi, to make weight. (So, unfortunately, do some of the women in the and-over division who do not need to skimp on their clothing to make weight).

Interestingly, the sports bra itself is technically optional. There's no rule about being required to compete with one on, and I predict that sooner or later someone's going to be *that* desperate to make weight. Also, sports bras aren't all that stable especially when grabbed or pulled accidentally or on purpose. Sometimes one gets tugged the wrong way (there's no rule against pulling the rashguard or sports bra in gi BJJ) and then you get a Janet Jackson moment. I fear that this is one of the reasons the women's events are so closely watched.

My personal theory is that at least some of the IBJJF rules were designed to increase spectator appeal. The whole idea behind letting women compete in Spandex tights instead of board shorts? Not sanitation or strategy. If there were a strategic advantage to competing in Spandex, men would be encouraged to do it too.

I believe that requiring men to compete shirtless is simply the female equivalent of letting the guys watch Spandex clad women grapple. You may notice that the straight female spectators go out of their way to watch the men's events if they can discreetly get a nice eyeful. Some divisions attract more attention than others. Just saying.

Back