Why no rash guards in gi tournament ?

Sometimes one gets tugged the wrong way (there's no rule against pulling the rashguard or sports bra in gi BJJ) and then you get a Janet Jackson moment. I fear that this is one of the reasons the women's events are so closely watched.

My personal theory is that at least some of the IBJJF rules were designed to increase spectator appeal.

lol, we are not watching women's bjj just to see a boob pop out.

but if ibjjf were doing things for sex appeal, then why did they ban women from wearing thongs?

rash guards are illegal for men coz you can get your fingers caught in them doing a collar choke.

rashgaurds/sports bras are legal for women coz the puppies have to be leashed. i do think that rashies should be illegal for women. sports bras only. dern's never popped out so i think we will live.

Probably so that it isn't inadvertently grabbed, screwing up grips. I find it plenty annoying rolling with guys who wear a rashguard under the gi. You're a man. Deal with it.

That's the same official reason for judo, especially wrt grip fighting (unofficially some say its because of tradition), but actually probably half the international competitors I've seen train wear them, partly to avoid skin infections, but mainly because they keep you from cooling off between randori (and keeping warm helps avoid injuries). One caveate - the judo gi tends to be thicker than a BJJ gi (thin gi's rip too fast in judo), so it makes it harder to inadvertently pick up some rashguard with your grip.

I've never cared one way or another; the amount of times I've seen people actually get their fingers caught (in judo or BJJ) is tiny. If it were common, you'd expect to see it all the time with women, who almost always wear a rashguard or t-shirt, but its very rare even in those cases. In winter I'll wear one (or a t-shirt), in summer generally I won't.

The only time I could see not wearing one being a problem in competition is if there's an injury, and you are cooling off while your opponent recovers. Suspect that's not an issue in southern climes where its always hot, but in a big gym in a northern winter the temperature can be around 65F, and you can cool off quickly under those circumstances.

I wear rashguards under my gi religiously, mainly just to help avoid skin infections.

I can't imagine why anyone would bother to get a rashguard that is baggy enough to screw up grips (oh wait...), but mine are all skin tight. Tori would need a ridiculous amount of time and effort, far more than is comfortable when in rolling/randori, to get my rashguards to the point of interfering with any techniques.

I've also noticed that usually on fat guys wear some shit under their GI.

You may notice that the straight female spectators go out of their way to watch the men's events if they can discreetly get a nice eyeful. Some divisions attract more attention than others. Just saying.

Senior 1 Men's White Belt Ultra Heavy?

i never knew this was the case in IBJJF glad i spotted this post, thanks for the heads up

I don't have a problem with Mackenzie being forced to take off her rash guard.

Now I can't help but imagine new rules stating women also have be bare chested under the gi in tournaments.

I truly wonder if that scenario was true how dedicated do some women need to be to still compete. All I can say is that the number of spectators would sky rocket to the point where the top BJJ guys can make NFL level money.

I just don’t like being shirtless hanging out , and the gi is also a bit scratchy.
#SoyBoyProblems

Back