Why No Hype Behind Robert Drysdale?

SuperBadAzz

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
5-0 with 5 1st round submission & he's one of the very best BJJ practitioners in the world.. It's obviously transferred well into MMA too as he has had no trouble submitting his first 5 opponents, one of those being TUF vet & BJJ BB Mike Nickels.. I haven't seen much of anything on this guy, but LWH is thin as far as amazing BJJ practicioners go & big guy with BJJ like Drysdale needs some hype, just ask Mir

Maybe it has something to do with him not getting medical clearance to compete in the UFC.

Maybe it has something to do with him not getting medical clearance to compete in the UFC.

That was two years ago. He might well be able to pass a medical now.

Wasn't it a potential brain anyeurism? Dangerous stuff in a sport where you get hit in the head constantly. Some can be corrected or repaired...

That was two years ago. He might well be able to pass a medical now.

All cases are different, but based on how the UFC immediately released Brian Foster and Chad Corvin for the same type of issues, I am guessing that Drysdale is going to have a tough time convincing them to take a chance on him.

For Frank Mir to have been training jiujitsu under this guy for years, you know he has gotta be one vicious mofo on the ground.

I've followed him closely since Mir linked up with him, he has looked good in his MMA performances, but the possible brain issue might be a hurdle for any hopes of entering into high level MMA, as has been said. I wish him luck though, we'll see.

Wow. I had no idea about the brain issue. It must suck to receive that news, especially when you feel fighting fit.

I think BJJ is always gonna take priority over MMA in his life, as it should. I don't see him being able to devote enough of his time to training to compete at a really high level in MMA. Brain issue aside.

It's hard to tell now. All the fighters are so well rounded now it's hard to tell how much success he would have. As far as we know, he might be a one trick pony that gets annihilated by a striker with good TD defense or great cardio and a solid ground game.

People never think about, but Reinhardt looked like an unstoppable animal with his ground game until he fought Lauzon in the UFC. He was like 18 - 0, all finishes. I could see this turning out similar

All cases are different, but based on how the UFC immediately released Brian Foster and Chad Corvin for the same type of issues, I am guessing that Drysdale is going to have a tough time convincing them to take a chance on him.

Such a shame with Foster. He was becoming one of my favorite prospects.

It's hard to tell now. All the fighters are so well rounded now it's hard to tell how much success he would have. As far as we know, he might be a one trick pony that gets annihilated by a striker with good TD defense or great cardio and a solid ground game.

People never think about, but Reinhardt looked like an unstoppable animal with his ground game until he fought Lauzon in the UFC. He was like 18 - 0, all finishes. I could see this turning out similar

Did you just compare Reinhardt's ground game to Drysdale's? come on...

yo enigma! its robert drysdale man!!!!1 not the blackbelt mcdojo badass tampon that was reinnohardt

Did you just compare Reinhardt's ground game to Drysdale's? come on...

Yeah I know. I'm just saying, he looked like a monster coming in. He had more experience behind him..

And that I remember people hyping him up before he came over, like Drysdale (who I think will fare much better than Reinhardt) and he got annihilated. I'm not saying the same thing will happen, but it just reminds me of how ppl were acting when Reinhardt was signed

yo enigma! its robert drysdale man!!!!1 not the blackbelt mcdojo badass tampon that was reinnohardt

Yeah I definitely think he will do much better than Reinhardt, I was just saying his record and hype seems really similar to the hype that Reinhardt had

Drysdale needs 1-2 more wins over better guys than he's been beating. Then he'll get a call I reckon, as long as he can pass the medicals.

Yeah I definitely think he will do much better than Reinhardt, I was just saying his record and hype seems really similar to the hype that Reinhardt had

Nobody thought Reinhardt was very good back then, some people actually watch fights instead of looking at records.

Didn't Jacare manhandle and embarass him at one of the ADCCs?

Yeah I know. I'm just saying, he looked like a monster coming in. He had more experience behind him..

And that I remember people hyping him up before he came over, like Drysdale (who I think will fare much better than Reinhardt) and he got annihilated. I'm not saying the same thing will happen, but it just reminds me of how ppl were acting when Reinhardt was signed

Hmm, from what I remember everyone knew Lauzon was going to destroy him. Wasn't really a surprise at all.

Back