Why no footwork in kickboxing?

Kickboxers have amazing footwork it's just a lot more subtle. Every time you move laterally in kickboxing or muaythai you're at risk of getting kicked in the trailing leg. This causes a far heavier emphasis on movement that is "on-line" or forward/backward movement so to speak. Angles are used but they are much more subtle. Petrosyan tends to take a slight shuffle outward before his right leg-kick or his right power hooks.

If you watch the feet of the fighters in this video you'll see that they're actually performing a very subtle dance almost the entire fight. Every step forward must be matched with one back and every step back must be followed with one forward. If a fighter doesn't move on-line or angle off they will get hit.

Is he?

Wayne Barrett has 4 fights and in Glory after 1 fight.

Joseph Valtellini is a potential superstar and he's got 13 freaking fights. Oblonsky has like 10 fights, Vinicius has 9, Schilling isn't very experienced etc...

And those are just fighters from their next show.

Wayne Barrett has 20 amateur fights, so he has way more experience than you're letting on, even if it is amateur.

And sure there are some fighters that don't have near the experience you see in Boxing, but then you have European and Japanese guys like Petro, Yamamoto, Kubo, Levin, Verhoeven, Spong, Manhoef, Holzken, De Bonte, Zimmerman, Ghita, Saki, Ristie so on and so forth alot of the guys that have been in the sport for years that usually have 50-100 professional fights, how many Boxers can say that? And they are the majority in this sport. You name 5 guys and guess what 4 of them have in common? They're North American where Kickboxing isn't near the popularity level it is in Europe. Ofcourse they aren't going to have the same amount of fights as most Boxers. Boxing is North Americas combat sport of choice, Kickboxing declined in the 90s and just now is potentially getting a second chance here.

And so what if they're competing in the next show? It's a North American show showcasing two divisions that are just beginning to bring in good talent that didn't even exist in K-1, atleast in it's hay-day.

EDIT:

Joseph Valtellini also is 11-0 as an amateur.

Last edited:
Wayne Barrett has 20 amateur fights, so he has way more experience than you're letting on, even if it is amateur.

And sure there are some fighters that don't have near the experience you see in Boxing, but then you have European and Japanese guys like Petro, Yamamoto, Kubo, Levin, Verhoeven, Spong, Manhoef, Holzken, De Bonte, Zimmerman, Ghita, Saki, Ristie so on and so forth alot of the guys that have been in the sport for years that usually have 50-100 professional fights, how many Boxers can say that? And they are the majority in this sport. You name 5 guys and guess what 4 of them have in common? They're North American where Kickboxing isn't near the popularity level it is in Europe. Ofcourse they aren't going to have the same amount of fights as most Boxers. Boxing is North Americas combat sport of choice, Kickboxing declined in the 90s and just now is potentially getting a second chance here.

And so what if they're competing in the next show? It's a North American show showcasing two divisions that are just beginning to bring in good talent that didn't even exist in K-1, atleast in it's hay-day.

Imagree with the kickboxing being on the rise. If K1 cant get a TV deal landed this year with SPIKE TV, I think GLORY WS is going to be the one to bring it to the masses.

Although the fighters you mentioned may be obscure to the casual UFC fan stateside, the interweb has made it possible to keep track of the going on in the world of kickboxkng. I wish the US was more into kickboxing like Europe and the rest of the world. Boxing in the US is all but nullified, we need to televise kickboxing more.

Not so much MT...I do not think a casual person wouod understand it, but I thought GLORY did a great job until Spong cracked his shin.

This. Also, amateur only refers to a specific rule set in kickboxing/MT. I mean, Levin still fights in amateur tournaments and the guy has 50+ pro fights. Yod ad Levin even fought under ammy rules a few years back.

skill level in general is much lower in kickboxing and mma than in boxing

footwork is very difficult and takes a long time to master

by the time a boxer makes it to tv, he has had 150+ amateur fights and 20+ pro fights

mma and kickboxing have guys on tv after their 3rd or 4th fight

There is a place in Asia called Thailand and locals are into a combat sport called Muay Thai. The footwork is very subtle and looks nothing like Western Boxers, however, many of Thailand's professional fighters have double and triple the fights of Western Boxers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muay_Thai

skill level in general is much lower in kickboxing and mma than in boxing

footwork is very difficult and takes a long time to master

by the time a boxer makes it to tv, he has had 150+ amateur fights and 20+ pro fights

mma and kickboxing have guys on tv after their 3rd or 4th fight
Wow what a stupid post...

Wow what a stupid post...

It is super stupid. Pro fights have nothing to do with the amount of training one guys through--- generally, people who are starting out in boxing have a lot of fights at a rapid pace and people starting out as a pro in kickboxing have very few fights. They train the same amount.

It is super stupid. Pro fights have nothing to do with the amount of training one guys through--- generally, people who are starting out in boxing have a lot of fights at a rapid pace and people starting out as a pro in kickboxing have very few fights. They train the same amount.

Whatever takes me out of the crosshairs! lol!

Couldnt agree more tho. A fight count says as much for attained skill that hot dog sales say for attendance to a football game.

Plus what is that supposed to mean that the skill attained in boxing is higher than that of kickboxing and mma? That is WORSE than my Anderson Silva comment. I was trying to make a conjecture for generalities sake. This seems like more of "taking a shot" at MMA and Kickboxing.

I was watching a documentary tv show where a 14 year old MT fighter had 45 pro fights in Thailand and he had a long way to go still before he would be deemed to,have tight form and technique, which is more important in a MT fight than anything as far as scoring is concerned. Well, in Thailand at least, I havent seen many MT fights in the US. And those I have seen seem to be just IKA with elbows and knees.

In MMA individuals almost always have to learn three different base styles of combat before being able to fight ammy even. Footwork is important in EVERY fighting sport. Each with its own intricacies and levels of difficulty. Grantdd we have yet to see an MMA or Kickboxer do a standing shuffle, or place their arms behind their back and lean forward. Silva might have done that last one actually....

Whatever takes me out of the crosshairs! lol!

Grantdd we have yet to see an MMA or Kickboxer do a standing shuffle, or place their arms behind their back and lean forward. Silva might have done that last one actually....

Saenchai does a shuffle in almost every fight...

saenchai16.gif

Last edited:
Saenchai does a shuffle in almost every fight...

saenchai16.gif

[/QUOTE

Oh lord this thread is so literal...

That was a sarcastic refference to Roy Jones JR. And Ali with his "Ali Shuffle". I am more then familiar with those kind of shuffles In MT. Those are BEAUTIFUL examples of his forwork tho KUDOS gif-masters.

Back