Why no footwork in kickboxing?

we all know footwork and the use of angles can help a fighter tremendously

it's just not the same as in boxing or mma....boxers don't have to worry about kicks and knees.........it changes footwork/head/body movement dramatically

and mma has a huuuuuuge octagon while kickboxing is in a small ring.....anybody who has ever fought in a ring can tell you that it's smaller on the inside

kickboxers and mt fighters often trade near the ropes or a corner.......a toe to toe fight in the middle of the ring is much rarer

ring size and different weapons make for different footwork/head/body movement

very well put

Look up Ballantine vs Dekkers. They fought 3 times

MT and kickboxing have a more open stance because fundamentally you are not worried about takedowns and a low center of gravity. MT stance to me is a little wider and open than kickboxing which has a more karate like stance or boxing stance.

I feel this is because MT has a unique way in blocking body kicks in lifting the knee to touch the elbow and dont have alot to worry about as far as attack coming straigt down the pike aside from the teep or occasionaly straigt to the body (which peaves you open to a meatgrinder of knees) and kickboxers can get away with using a more boxing footwork style because alot of IKA is points Kickboxing.

I am studying under the Killer Bee Muay Thai cirriculum and training methods, so we are taught to be on the balls of our feet instead of being flat footed. This stems from an evolution of Muay Boran (think Tony Ja demos) which was a more kata orientated pre cursor to modern muay thai. Anderson Silva by far has the best MT footwork of any figter on the planet when he spars MT.

Last edited:
Just my opinion. He asked who we thought had good footwork. Hard to argue against Silva. I said when sparring because he is not a MT competitor but an MMA fighter.

MT and kickboxing have a more open stance because fundamentally you are not worried about takedowns and a low center of gravity. MT stance to me is a little wider and open than kickboxing which has a more karate like stance or boxing stance.

I feel this is because MT has a unique way in blocking body kicks in lifting the knee to touch the elbow and dont have alot to worry about as far as attack coming straigt down the pike aside from the teep or occasionaly straigt to the body (which peaves you open to a meatgrinder of knees) and kickboxers can get away with using a more boxing footwork style because alot of IKA is points Kickboxing.

I am studying under the Killer Bee Muay Thai cirriculum and training methods, so we are taught to be on the balls of our feet instead of being flat footed. This stems from an evolution of Muay Boran (think Tony Ja demos) which was a more kata orientated pre cursor to modern muay thai. Anderson Silva by far has the best MT footwork of any figter on the planet when he spars MT. Also a fellow killer bee.

mt stance is more open as balance is key to the scoring as well as the trips and dumps that are legal

That would cetainly increase the sports popularity! I swear man you look at some Olympic sports and are just baffled by their origin.

I really am not seeing what I said wrong. I have sen alot of his training vids and I just think he has very good footwork. Granted hes cocky and got KOD because of it, but he has excdllent MT skills.

I really am not seeing what I said wrong. I have sen alot of his training vids and I just think he has very good footwork. Granted hes cocky and got KOD because of it, but he has excdllent MT skills.

for a mma fighter! Guys like sam-a and saenchai make him look like a amateur

He was a journeyman MT/kickboxer at BEST who got his ass kicked by Pele. He abandoned a lot of his MT when he got to the UFC for boxing.

He just isn't very good.

Oh no!

Nono i did not mean to pitch him as someone whos an elite MT figter. I was giving an example of someone who has good footwork that uses MT. I also went mainstream without saying someone like Buakaw, Dekkers, or JWP.

I apologize I came across noobish. Was not my intent. I am a MT fan and didnt know how obscure I could get. Id take Million Dollar Baby over Silva anyday. You may all extinguish the flamethrowers.

Oh no!

Nono i did not mean to pitch him as someone whos an elite MT figter. I was giving an example of someone who has good footwork that uses MT. I also went mainstream without saying someone like Buakaw, Dekkers, or JWP.

I apologize I came across noobish. Was not my intent. I am a MT fan and didnt know how obscure I could get. Id take Million Dollar Baby over Silva anyday. You may all extinguish the flamethrowers.

Anderson looks like he has good footwork for Muay Thai because he is fighting in a gigantic caged area without having to worry much about leg kicks but being forced to move around to avoid straight shot takedowns. It's just a totally unfair comparison.

Anderson looks like he has good footwork for Muay Thai because he is fighting in a gigantic caged area without having to worry much about leg kicks but being forced to move around to avoid straight shot takedowns. It's just a totally unfair comparison.

Ok I realize my error. My apologies. If I can offer a repost, if you want to see good use of MT footwork and stance from a recent event, Sam-A fougt Superbank in Febuary of this year. As someone who is new to MT training (half a year) I thought that the fight was great.

I hope to see MT and even K1 or Glory gain some more ground in the US as far as media attention in the coming years.

Sorry again!

skill level in general is much lower in kickboxing and mma than in boxing

footwork is very difficult and takes a long time to master

by the time a boxer makes it to tv, he has had 150+ amateur fights and 20+ pro fights

mma and kickboxing have guys on tv after their 3rd or 4th fight

by the time a boxer makes it to tv, he has had 150+ amateur fights and 20+ pro fights

Majority of the kickboxers on tv have like 50+ wins.

You sir, are talking out your ass.

You sir, are talking out your ass.

Is he?

Wayne Barrett has 4 fights and in Glory after 1 fight.

Joseph Valtellini is a potential superstar and he's got 13 freaking fights. Oblonsky has like 10 fights, Vinicius has 9, Schilling isn't very experienced etc...

And those are just fighters from their next show.

Back