Why Melendez deserves a shot over Cerrone/Pettis.

so only fighters ranked in the top 5 are worthwhile wins.. okay.

thats not what i said... okay

i said melendez hasnt beaten anyone from the UFC that was top 5 and that i would like to see him beat one of those guys first before his title shot.

and dont give me that those guys he beat were legit prospects because...where are they now.

you talkin about years ago man, im talkin now.

out of his victories who is a top ranked fighter now.

is that ...okay?

Lauzon has never been in the top 5 and has been finished by 6 different fighters. Aoki is far superior to Lauzon and would never have been submitted by Gsot. Every single guy Melendez fought in Strikeforce would kill Jeremy Stephens and the majority would beat Guida.

im not talking about lauzon here.

im talkin bout gilbert and how i feel he should have to face a top 5 contender in the UFC 155 pound division before he recieves a title fight.

i have a feeling im talkin to a couple of diaz fans here.

It's called new fans who are not familiar with the history of the sport or it's fighters.

They see this young good looking kid who does lots of flashy moves and has been fighting in the UFC. So obviously he deserves it.

I don't know if it's that.
A lot of guys here hate Cesar Gracie's team too.

If title unifications matter - than all final Strikeforce title holders should get UFC title fights. UFC can't say the SF LW title matters, but the MW and HW one doesn't ect...

It is quite strange isn't it? I thought for sure that Gil was going to have to face a no. 1 contender to make sure he's legit...apparently there's a shortage of LW contenders these days? GSP I can understand, he's been chewing up WW for years. Cormier is basically the SF HW champ (was it ever actually given to him or is he just de facto?) and would he get a title shot if Cain wasn't champ?

I'd like to see Gil face Maynard before either get a title shot but eh. That will just make the vaunted Scrap Pack go winless in UFC title fights that much faster.

I don't believe Melendez deserves a title shot over anyone for his first UFC fight. Not saying he isn't a good fighter. I just think all fighters coming over from other orgs need to be tested first against someone else to even see how they are going to perform in the UFC. Whether it be transitioning from a ring to a cage, overcoming those UFC jitters that alot of fighters get in their first fight on the big stage, or whatever, we've just seen too many times from past experiences where a fighter is the top dog in another org and ends up being a let down in the UFC. 1) CroCop beat Sanchez but didn't look impressive at all 2) Shogun lost his first UFC fight 3) Lombard lost his first UFC fight 4) Jake Shields went undefeated for like 6 years but has failed to impress me in any of his UFC fights so far. 5) Wand wasn't the same when he came over.

So, for whatever reason the above failed to impress, whether it be injury, age, lack of focus, etc. I just think Gilbert should not be getting a title shot so soon because even though he impresses ppl in his Strikeforce fights, he could go in there against Henderson and end up getting destroyed. If he fights someone else first and fails to impress, then people would be glad he wasn't matched up against Ben. But it is what it is.

thats not what i said... okay

i said melendez hasnt beaten anyone from the UFC that was top 5 and that i would like to see him beat one of those guys first before his title shot.

there are quality LWs outside of the UFC, i thought bendo and co. proved this when the WEC merged.

aoki, thomson x2, kawajiri and masvidal is just as good a win streak, if not better, then any UFC LW is on right now.

pettis hasnt got any wins over any current top 5 LWs aside from bendo, over 2 years ago, since that fight he's only beat stephens and lauzon, while losing to guida. yet somehow he's so much more deserving of a title shot.

and dont give me that those guys he beat were legit prospects because...where are they now.

are you referring to thomson, aoki and kawajiri as prospects? lmao. they were established top ranked fighters when gil beat them, not prospects.

where are they now? well kawajiri has gone 4-0 since dropping to FW and aoki's still a top 10-15 LW. thomson has collected wins over healy, noons and proved in his fight with gil that when he's on top of his game he's able to hang with the best.

you talkin about years ago man, im talkin now.

out of his victories who is a top ranked fighter now.

is that ...okay?

out of pettis' victories who's a top ranked fighter now? bendo and that's about it, and since the win over bendo, pettis has lost to guida.

out of cerrone's victories who's a top ranked fighter now?

this is asinine logic anyway, what matters is what they were ranked when they were beat. kitaoka has a victory over condit from 5 years ago, condit's currently in the top 5 WWs, i guess kitaoka should get the next shot at GSP's strap. :rolleyes:

well your basis of thinking is that anybody that is in the 155 pound division in the UFC should have to go through thomson before they fight for the title.

beating a legit 10-15 ranked opponent outside of the UFC should not garner you a title shot in the UFC that has legit contenders already waiting and proven with the oranisation.

im not saying gil isnt a great fighter, i think he is awesome.

i just feel that he should prove himself in the UFC before given a title shot.

more specifically , he should have to fight maynard for the number one spot.

loser fights cerrone/pettis winner for the next title shot thereafter.

im not saying gil isnt a great fighter, i think he is awesome.

i just feel that he should prove himself in the UFC before given a title shot.

So you don't feel Pettis deserved a title shot when arriving in the UFC?

well your basis of thinking is that anybody that is in the 155 pound division in the UFC should have to go through thomson before they fight for the title.

beating a legit 10-15 ranked opponent outside of the UFC should not garner you a title shot in the UFC that has legit contenders already waiting and proven with the oranisation.

no, my basis of thinking is if a 155 fighter is the SF champion, ranked #2 in the world, on a 7 fight win streak with wins over aoki, kawajiri, thomson x2, ishida and masvidal then they are more than deserving of fighting for the title.

im sorry man i dont know what you want me to say, but looking at who those guys have beaten and whatnot, i dont agree with you.

specially cause i dont think that aoki or thomson would have anything for the UFC 155 pound division top contenders.

and kawajiri must have dropped down for a reason.

they are all good fighters and i respect them all, but i still feel that gil needs a fight in the UFC against one of theyr top contenders before fighting benson. Maynard has paid his dues in the org and deserves the shot in my mind.

Sure did....

so who exactly does deserve a title shot? Mayard. The guy coming off back to back title shots?

im thinking the number one spot at the moment should go thru maynard.

gilbert should fight maynard for the next title shot.
loser faces winner of cerrone/pettis for the next shot afterward

and i say maynard because its a different champ now. I mean if diaz can do it why not maynard.

im thinking the number one spot at the moment should go thru maynard..

Again the guy coming off back to back title shots?

So either Melendez or the winner of Pettis vs Cerrone should fight Maynard to get a title shot?

Especially knowing Henderson and Melendez are ready to go now?

i dont think your following what im saying.

Gilbert vs maynard --- winner vs henderson

^^ loser vs winner of ---cerrone/pettis

^^^ winner vs winner of -----gilbert/maynard vs henderson

and your arguement of henderson and gilbert are ready to go now , does not take away from the fact that maynard as well is ready to go now. also maynard is not coming off of back to back title fights, he just beat guida and if he beat melendez that would give him 2 wins in a row since his loss to edgar, solidifing himself as the number one contender and justifying a title fight against the new champion henderson. obviously if gilbert wins against maynard he as well solidifies himself as the number one contender.

i cant explain this anymore than i have, im sorry if i cant help you understand my theory. We all have our own opinions, this is just mine.

Melendez should have lost against Josh Thompson.

That's why. Not.

And Benson should have lost to Edgar the second time, seems fair to me. Just like Edgar is no slouch neither is Thompson being the previous SF champ.

i dont think your following what im saying.

Gilbert vs maynard --- winner vs henderson

^^ loser vs winner of ---cerrone/pettis

^^^ winner vs winner of -----gilbert/maynard vs henderson

and your arguement of henderson and gilbert are ready to go now , does not take away from the fact that maynard as well is ready to go now. .

I get that. But equating Maynard with Melendez at this point makes little to no sense. Maynard would be the first person to tell you that Melendez deserves the title fight more than anyone in the world, and he actually has said this before.

also maynard is not coming off of back to back title fights, he just beat guida and if he beat melendez that would give him 2 wins in a row since his loss to edgar, solidifing himself as the number one contender and justifying a title fight against the new champion henderson.

Well, anyone beating Melendez would justify them getting a title shot. The problem is that Melendez is obviously ahead of him right now.

obviously if gilbert wins against maynard he as well solidifies himself as the number one contender.

Of course, him beating anyone would. but he doesn't need to do that as he already is.

i cant explain this anymore than i have, im sorry if i cant help you understand my theory. We all have our own opinions, this is just mine

Oh no I get it....It just makes very little sense.

Back