Why Jones, not Dana, has all the power.

We should agree to something here, you can't be ducking someone you already beat.

Jones only won because, for some messed up reason that I won't understand in the sport of fighting, damage isn't scored. Jones got beat the fuck up, and put in the hospital. He may have won on the score cards, but Gus won the fight.

It's pretty clear that he wants to take as much time as he can before the eventual rematch.

They can threaten to take his title away, that alone could scare him into giving in. He has previously mentioned that he doesn't want to move to HW yet so he can beat a few other records while holding the belt.

Nah. They aren't going to take his belt, if they do they lose some of their contract power by giving up the "champions clause", which adds stipulations to their contract.

The big question is how long is Jones willing to hold out? The UFC needs to fill it's cards and is struggling for name fighters. No way in hell the UFC wants to go 2014 without Jones fighting again, but I get the feeling Jones would be willing to sit for 2014 if he needed to.

No where else to go? JBJ could go make Bellator or WSOF famous....he's holding the chips right now....period. Let the games continue.

Make them famous by facing the elite competition they have to offer?

Jones only won because, for some messed up reason that I won't understand in the sport of fighting, damage isn't scored. Jones got beat the fuck up, and put in the hospital. He may have won on the score cards, but Gus won the fight.

It's pretty clear that he wants to take as much time as he can before the eventual rematch.

Jones came closer to finishing and did lots of damage as well. Jones broke his foot on a kick, that's why he need helped out and needed to go straight to the hospital. I bet you both guys had concussions that fight, it was brutal.

Damage is scored, but not strictly on looks. Some fighters show damage fast, others hardly show it at all. If fights were judged on that, it'd be silly. BJ Penn could take 50 punches to the face and barely show it. GSP gets tapped and his face turns red and bloody.

Nah. They aren't going to take his belt, if they do they lose some of their contract power by giving up the "champions clause", which adds stipulations to their contract.

The big question is how long is Jones willing to hold out? The UFC needs to fill it's cards and is struggling for name fighters. No way in hell the UFC wants to go 2014 without Jones fighting again, but I get the feeling Jones would be willing to sit for 2014 if he needed to.

One guy won't hurt the UFC, it'll hurt Jones more in the long run as it's his career that he's wasting by waiting around. I believe the UFC would remove his title if he's not willing to face the challenger that they believe deserves the shot.

Now the entire UFC card is scrapped because Jones didn't accept a fight with Gus who once kicked his ass. WOW. Just wow.

i agree, the UFC needs JBJ alot more then JBJ needs the UFC. Being p4p no1 helps ofc.

They need each other. Neither needs the other a lot more than vice versa.

Jone would be very smart to use his leverage to get more money. I think he would be ill advised to use that leverage to pick and choose his fights.

They need each other. Neither needs the other a lot more than vice versa.

Jone would be very smart to use his leverage to get more money. I think he would be ill advised to use that leverage to pick and choose his fights.

Why not?

If he thinks he thinks Cormier is less of a risk and a close payday, he should want that fight.

Mayweather has chosen his fights for years. Is that great for the fans? Not necessarily, but it's been great for him. Jones is managing himself, he wants the fight he wants for the money he wants. I say good for him.

While it's not listed as official criteria, damage is a major factor, but what people fail to recognize is that damage doesn't carry over to the other rounds, it's only good for the round it was Done in

Definitely GSP and Anderson leaving the limelight has strengthened Jones' position. I agree with evrything you write TS. Well thought out.

Dana (The UFC really) are the ones signing Jones paychecks.

That gives them all of the power.

If the UFC is stupid enough to fire Jones he will simply go to Bellator drive the ratings up make a ton of money and make the UFC look like fools.

The UFC has all the power with every one of their fighters. If Jones refuses to fight the UFC can just strip him of the title and hype up whoever replaces him whether it be Gus or DC. If Jones was to go to bellator not man people would be buying Bellator ppvs to see Jones face some Bellator scrub.

um, The Eyepoker Jon Jones is worth $10,000,000

the majority owners of the ufc are worth $1,000,000,000 EACH

money is power, so it doesn't take a mathematician to figure out which side has more power.

The owner of the Miami Heat is worth around $6 billion, who do you think has the power in negotiations him or Lebron?

UFC won't strip him.

They could create an interim title, but I honestly don't think Jones would care. It would be Gus vs. Cormier, so there is a good chance Jones would wait it out and still end up facing Cormier.

They won't strip him because they'll lose their "champion's clause". Their hold on him won't be as tight without that, not worth the risk. Jones is still young, he might be willing to sit for a long time.

He would care unless he wanted to go into an early retirement. As long as he holds that belt, he is stuck fighting for either the UFC of no one.

Why not?

If he thinks he thinks Cormier is less of a risk and a close payday, he should want that fight.

Mayweather has chosen his fights for years. Is that great for the fans? Not necessarily, but it's been great for him. Jones is managing himself, he wants the fight he wants for the money he wants. I say good for him.

Thats stupid when it doesn't benefit you to root for him doing it. Are you his buddy or something?

Anyways, there is no fighter bigger than the UFC, and they will continue to do fine with or without him. Preferably with, but one reason I continue to be a fan of the UFC (like most of you hopefully) is the honest spirit of the competition. We can't have prima donnas hand picking opponents.

The owner of the Miami Heat is worth around $6 billion, who do you think has the power in negotiations him or Lebron?

Perfect comparison because LeBron James is the best player in the NBA and Jones is the greatest fighter in the world. The UFC can't really do anything to him that would risk them looking like a less credible sport. What are they really going to say he won't take a rematch with somebody he defeated. Not really a credible reason for stripping someone of the title or worse firing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back