Why isn't Chandler taking matchups while still waiting for Mcgregor?

Depression probably from getting strung along knowing a good chance the scenario that's playing out would occur.

I mean he's taken a lot of damage in his ufc fights outside of the hooker fight. His body/brain probably could use that time off.

Because after beating Tony Ferguson he realized he can only beat old, mentally damaged, drug addict, alcoholic, half retired fighters and the only relevant fighter left who falls into one or more of those categories is Conor

He'd rather sit out for 3 years for an attempt at an easy paycheck than lose yet another fight vs actual competiton in their prime

Probably is hoping that Conor will get his shit together and that the fight eventually happens.

You ever do something for a long time and then wake up one day and decide you are done with it? Michael Chandler is probably done at this point. Cash that Connor check and calling his career over

Because after beating Tony Ferguson he realized he can only beat old, mentally damaged, drug addict, alcoholic, half retired fighters and the only relevant fighter left who falls into one or more of those categories is Conor

He'd rather sit out for 3 years for an attempt at an easy paycheck than lose yet another fight vs actual competiton in their prime
he beat dan hooker who just entered the top 5.

More interested to know if the UFC offered him any fights these last few years and what his contract situation is. Just seems like he's been ready to walk away from the sport with or without Conor fight which is a shame cuz he's always been exciting to watch. But I can understand a guy his age not wanting to pile on more damage since he can afford not to.

If he takes a fight, he risks that, at any point after accepting it all the way until he recovers from it, Conor could accept someone else instead. And even if that doesn't happen, he risks losing in such a way that he loses relevancy and becomes not a worthwhile choice for Conor. Mike is sitting just outside the top 5, and Conor wants to try and jump as much as he can reasonably get.

More interested to know if the UFC offered him any fights these last few years and what his contract situation is. Just seems like he's been ready to walk away from the sport with or without Conor fight which is a shame cuz he's always been exciting to watch. But I can understand a guy his age not wanting to pile on more damage since he can afford not to.
Chandler claimed that the UFC offered him a title shot, so that's as big as an alternative fight as he could have gotten.

because he knows if he takes a fight there's a chance (a small one) that he might win which will lead to Mcgregor being too shook to fight him and being put off the fight completely

If I were to give my best guesstimate I’d say doesn’t want to jeopardise the Conor matchup with a loss to other competition.

And to sit in my armchair for a moment I think he may believe he doesn’t need any other matchups because of all the one sided work he’s put in to making this fight happen.

High risk, not really anything to gain. Why should this old veteran fight 2 or 3 up and comers for less money? He will take much more of that one fight.
If I had to choose between one big money fight or 2-3 risky ones with less money on the table, I would probably do the same thing.
He was a multiple time champ at Bellator, he should have enough money already to sit that out. And he will be good despite he may never fight again.

Back