Why isnt Boxing shown in sports bars?

Fzubek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is there a specific reason why BWW and Hooters dont show PPV Boxing?

I think you ahve to get a license then charge a cover when you do PPV, maybe they just don't want to deal with the hassle

I was told by a friend who owns a bar that you have to pay 800-1000 dollars for the right to show their PPV. Also, he said that too many drunks get "inspired" to fight.

I was told by a friend who owns a bar that you have to pay 800-1000 dollars for the right to show their PPV. Also, he said that too many drunks get "inspired" to fight.

yes, you'd get a lot of "national pride" in some of those fights. I took in DLH vs Vargas (great fight) at a strip club and there were distinctly 2 different groups, even though the same nationality.

Here in Florida we have a chain called "Winghouse" and it is owned by Crawford Ker - former Dallas Cowboy. Crawford is a big fight fan - even donates a lot of money to our gym - and they pay big $$$ for every PPV they show.

They do make it back in food and alcohol.

Also...not trying to hijack this thread, but I have been trying since last night to post a new thread and it won't let me. I can reply to posts, but not create new ones.

Anyway, I am fighting tonight at the A La Carte Pavilion in Tampa. This is my first fight back since the Audley Harrison fight in April. I had 5 weeks to train for this fight, and I came in at 219.....5 pounds lighter than my previous 2 fights. My opponent is Earl Ladson, 13-18-1. He has gone the distance with some good opposition, and at the weigh-in last night I could see that he is here to win.

If you are in the area come check it out.

Also...not trying to hijack this thread, but I have been trying since last night to post a new thread and it won't let me. I can reply to posts, but not create new ones.

Anyway, I am fighting tonight at the A La Carte Pavilion in Tampa. This is my first fight back since the Audley Harrison fight in April. I had 5 weeks to train for this fight, and I came in at 219.....5 pounds lighter than my previous 2 fights. My opponent is Earl Ladson, 13-18-1. He has gone the distance with some good opposition, and at the weigh-in last night I could see that he is here to win.

If you are in the area come check it out.

Good luck man. Whoop that ass.

I asked the owner of my local sports bar to order a fight once and he said it would cost 5 grand for the licensing fees to that single fight.

theres a bar next to madison square gardn called Jack Dempseys and they show both boxing and mma

Does it cost the bars more to show Boxing PPVs than the UFC PPVs?

There are fighters everywhere around here in Texas. its not a matter of "where will they show the fight" rather "Where from all the places are we go to see the fight at???"

bars have to pay per person who shows up at their establishment. Here in suburban Maryland, there isnt enough demand for this. There is one bar 15minutes away, and they show about 6 PPVs a year, and no regular HBO fights.

Makes me sad :( :( :(

my assumption on why boxing isn't shown on bars is the difference in demographic between mma and boxing.

bars have to pay per person who shows up at their establishment. Here in suburban Maryland, there isnt enough demand for this. There is one bar 15minutes away, and they show about 6 PPVs a year, and no regular HBO fights.

Makes me sad :( :( :(

that's what I was told around cincinnati. I've seen one ppv fight at a bar, you had to pay a cover charge for john ruiz and roy jones, but whether it was the fight or just saturday night the bar was packed, don't know why they didn't do another one. and for the life of me I don't know why they don't show hbo and showtime fights.

my assumption on why boxing isn't shown on bars is the difference in demographic between mma and boxing.

your assumption is wrong, it's because boxing's promoters have a longer head start and figured that charging for their shows would keep hundreds of thousands of people from not paying full price. mma's promoters will follow suit soon enough.

Boxings always shown in bars and pubs in the UK, no where really shows UFC though sometimes you can see Cage Rage.

your assumption is wrong, it's because boxing's promoters have a longer head start and figured that charging for their shows would keep hundreds of thousands of people from not paying full price. mma's promoters will follow suit soon enough.

PPV only? I watched the ODLH/Forbes fight at a bar.

Back