Why isnt Boxing shown in sports bars?

From what I understand it cost a bar about $1300 and since it takes about 130 people paying $10 a head to make the money back it's not easy for many bars to attract that type of numbers.

I have heard the UFC does not cost bar establishments as much.

I remember I was asking every bar if they were going to show the delahoya/mayweather fight. Most said no. I did find one bar, but there was like some 15 dollar cover charge. Quite gay. So my friends and I forked over 8 bucks each and watch the fight at home.

But that was a super fight. I caught Rahman/Maskaev 2 and Cintron/Magarito 1 at Hooters for free. Hmmm...

My small home town in upper WI has a decent percentage of Mexicans. And thankfully the Mexican bar/restaurant has a large screen TV. They always get the boxing matches & PPV ones.
Loving watching fights there. Just a great atmosphere, they all get into the fights quite a bit....
Big turn out for any fight.

I always see ads for UFC showings in the sports bars around Austin,

but no boxing :(

with the large filipino population in hawaii, a pacquiao fight will draw almost as much people to a sports bar as a bj penn fight or uh football game.

I've been to toronto and windsor numerous times. Watched the Tyson vs Lewis fight at Peppers sports bar in Windsor and the Gatti Ward I at Hooters in Toronto. I'm from Michigan and had a hard time finding ppv fights at bars there.

There are a few bars that show boxing PPVs on a consistent basis in Toronto, they get good crowds too, but they steal the signal and don't pay the fee.

that's what I was told around cincinnati. I've seen one ppv fight at a bar, you had to pay a cover charge for john ruiz and roy jones, but whether it was the fight or just saturday night the bar was packed, don't know why they didn't do another one. and for the life of me I don't know why they don't show hbo and showtime fights.

hbo also charges for regular BAD and WCB telecasts, there is some package a bar can get to allow them to show those. I dont know about showtime. The bar i went to, i saw floyd/hatton, pavlik/taylor 2, and 1 other that i forgot. My homeboys and I showed up for Pacman vs JMM 2, but the owner told me they didnt have enough interest for it and didnt know if there would be demand for the cover charge. They were, however, going to show Mosley/judah before it was canned. I dont know about the last one.

HBO fucks themselves over. Their fights could be so much bigger if they allowed bars to show more things for free and create REAL hype. Not bullshit hype from countdown shows or HBO: my story promotional shit.

I was told by a friend who owns a bar that you have to pay 800-1000 dollars for the right to show their PPV. Also, he said that too many drunks get "inspired" to fight.

its sometimes more than that, it depends on the size of the bar and what its max capacity. I think there is a price per person for every person the place can legally hold that the PPV provider charges, so the bigger the bar the more money it will cost

no elbows, no knees, no kicks, no submissions...

not very interesting

i guess the licensing fees arent worth it to the owners as it isnt really a productive investment

Back