Why is UFC still too scared to do 5 title fights in one night?

Adamant

Adamantium Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
On PPV there are normally five main card fights..... so make each one a championship bout. Five in a row. With nine weight classes currently in the UFC there's no reason they shouldn't be able to do this, especially with the proper planning. So what the hell is the deal? Why haven't we seen it yet?

Five title fights equals a maximum potential 125 minutes (if every fight goes to a decision) plus about 10 - 12 minutes between each fight. Time wise, that would be 173 minutes for all the fights (plus 10 minutes for misc). So that's 183 minutes total, worst case scenario. That's barely a tick over 3 hours. UFC could EASILY book a 3 hour time slot for the show. If a few of the fights end in finishes then UFC can fill the remaining time with prelim fights and other MMA-related media.

If one of the fights falls out due to injury, have a backup planned, and either make it an interim-title fight (challenger vs challenger) or a new title fight (champion vs replacement challenger). Or call up one of the other champions in a different class to defend their belt. Simple.

With 7 other champions on the roster who wouldn't be fighting on this card, there's no worry of a championship drought during the subsequent 3-4 PPVs.

At this stage of the game, there's no good reason for UFC not to do a mega card like this. If they hyped it correctly and put it in the right venue (maybe Cowboy's Stadium) it'd possibly be the biggest selling card in UFC history. Probably by a long shot. It may even be able to hit 2 million buys.
latest

WWE-Night-of-Champions-PPV-Logo.png

HW Championship
LHW Championship
MW Championship
WW Championship
LW Championship

Talk about epic. So why is UFC still too scared to do this?

Last edited:
overkill. also could be a fucking 10 hour event

Because they are not stupid.

Also, because business.

Because you draw more if you space them out and build cards around them.

Because they are not as stupid as you

PPV-shares to 10 fighters in one night?

You know they will need like 4 million PPV buys to earn what they make on a stacked 2 title fight card right?

Also - LW?
Yeah because paying Conor isn't expensive enough, you want to up his pay because he needs to share the spotlight? Would NEVER happen.

overkill. also could be a fucking 10 hour event
Agree with the overkill part, but 5×25=125, not 600. Just over two hours worth of fights, tops. If they paced it like a big Fox card, it could work. No way they ever do it though, too many unreliable athletes, plus a few months of 125 to 145 only as headliners if you take TS's suggestion. I'll pass.

Five five-round fights do not equal 125 minutes.

If it goes the distance, you end up with around 30 minutes plus decision, interview etc. Should be around 40 min total. Plus 10 min between two fights at the very least. Intro, walk-in etc.

We are talking 5 times 40 min plus nearly 1 h of bs. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Because there are too many sub optimum events as it is and there are not enough big name fighters.

Yeah, good point. Title fights that go 5 rounds take about 40 minutes, all told.

Yep, easy
Plus they give fighters an approx time to be ready, so they are not all of a sudden rushed to run out & fight.
Fighting is very mental (pun intended) so they just don't go "get out there".
They give them 10-15 minutes

MM v. Sergio Pettis
Cyborg v. Whoever Invicta's 135lb. champ is at the time
Amanda Nunes v. Ketlen Vieira
Nicco Montano v. Valentina Shevchenko
Rose Namajunas v. Jessica Andrade

UFC 250: Let the Buys Hit the Floor

Simple, if you put championship fights on there own cards you make more money.
Also if you put all the championship fights on one card, the rest of the cards for a year will suck.

That would be such a mess and hard to justify. Maybe for UFC 300 lol.

that would be a mess. you could make more money spreading that out, and on top of that ur paying all those champs on 1 card and then you have a drought of non title fights in that division since you had 5 champs fight on 1 card

its not a bad idea like a lot of jerks are saying necessarily.

its just not nearly cost effective enough. An uber card like that would draw probably 2x as many PPV buys, saying 2 million if they are REALLY lucky and Conor is on the card.

That would be a great PPV, but they would have to pay out at least 3-5x what they normally would for a good card.

it shouldnt be done often but I do feel for really special occasions, perhaps UFC 300, it would be totally worth it to do it. The UFC NEEDS something that is comparable to the Superbowl, Wrestlemania, NBA finals, World Cup, etc..things like that keeps the sport in the mainstream. people the lost interest years ago still tune in for the big once a year or whatever shows. Like I havent follow pro wrestling in 10 years, but I still NEVER miss a Wrestlemania.

Ok playing devils advocate. Which order would you put the fights in?

Agree with the overkill part, but 5×25=125, not 600. Just over two hours worth of fights, tops. If they paced it like a big Fox card, it could work. No way they ever do it though, too many unreliable athletes, plus a few months of 125 to 145 only as headliners if you take TS's suggestion. I'll pass.
it was a joke, buddy. but it would still be quite long

Back