Why is this still happening in 2019, UFC?

Cain is targeting a specific demographic for his public persona. That is all.

32718758677_82187c7151_h.jpg

I'm confused by the flag shown for Contender #8.

They used to do this with so many fighters to artificially make the UFC seem much larger and more international than it was. It was always stupid, but now it's quite unnecessary. The organization, and the sport at large, is now quite international.

For example, if you go back to his earliest UFC when they would flash rankings screens like this, or for the Tale of the Tape, they would show the Croatian flag for Stipe Miocic. Stipe was born, raised, and trains in Ohio. Notice how they fixed that.

This is so disrespectful. I can't believe Cain allows it. Does he not value his citizenship?
He’s Mexican

Actually, the Flag is supposed to represent Nationality. Because fighters in the UFC represent Countries. Cain was born, raised and lives in America.

631851888.jpg.0.jpg

Yair Rodriguez is Mexican.

Not how it works in the UFC. Fighters choose which nation they want to represent, and Cain represents his heritage. People in the olympics do the exact same thing, competing for countries they’re not from but have heritage. Does it really matter than he prefers to represent heritage?

[
Still laugh whenever I remember way back when Werdum spoke better Spanish than Cain did before their match, and Cain getting ultra salty after Werdum jokingly claims he's more Mexican than Cain was.... And ofcourse beating Cain and taking his belt was just icing on the cake.

That was amazing and hilarious. The funniest part is that Cain actually lost because he couldn't adapt to the local Mexican climate while Werdum ended up training there and adapting with his superior cardio and Spanish.

Werdum is the real Mexican HW hero

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 11.32.46 AM.png

Any minute, Cain is gonna attract that Mexican demographic

Look at what flag Cain carries during fights. They display what he wants. His parents are from Mexico.

His flag doesn't matter. He doesn't hate on people from the USA.

Cain can fly Japanese flag for all I care because he likes anime.

Seriously why does this bother people so much, UFC isn't the Olympics, it's not a competition between nations

It's kind of hard to keep your top 5 ranking when you haven't won a fight since 2016. He may be a top 3 talent, but he doesn't deserve to be in the top 3 right now. If he wins a couple fights, he'll be right back up there I'm sure.

american snowflakes mad about a picture of a piece of cloth smh

I dunno if that was mentioned but maybe it will be interesting info for some people: I've seen quote from Arman Tsarukyan's interview in which he said that when he was filling papers for UFC, UFC matchmaker/matchmakers reccommended him to wrote that he represents Armenia instead of Russia (if I understand it right, in that case Armenian flag will be near his name in stuff like pre-fight stats during broadcast).
Also interesting stuff about Oleinik - he was and I think still hold Ukrainian citizenship, he got Russian citizenship few years ago and funny thing that Ukraine doesn't allow it citizens to have multiple citizenships.

Last edited:
People represent countries they arent from in the Olympics. Why is this a big deal to you?

Theres been plenty of athletes that use it in the Olympics, it's not like its few and far between.

Some meaningless stats. Seems to me like fighters in UFC with Russian citizenship is leaders in having multiple citizenships. Aleksei Oleinik (citizen of Ukraine and Russia, Russian wiki states that he is on a list of persona non grata in Ukraine), Shevchenko sisters, Valentina and Antonina (citizens of Kyrgyzstan, Russia and Peru), Arman Tsarukyan (Russian wiki states that he is citizen of Armenia and Russia), Mairbek Taisumov (citizen of Russia, Austria and Morocco), Magomed Bibulatov (citizen of Russia and according to his Wiki page in Chechen - France). Not sure if Lobov holds both Irish and Russian citizenships, not sure if we should count Jeff Monson (holds citizenships of US, Russia, LPR/LNR and Abkhazia), Yoni Sherbatov who was on TUF 24 might be Russian citizen (he doesn't have a Wiki page but Rissian wiki page of his younger brother states that he (Eliezer, younger brother) holds citizenships of Israel, Russia and Canada) and I think there were a couple of Americans on TUF who was born in Russia and moved to US later.

Seems I was wrong and only Anton Berzin (was on TUF 19 and foght on week 7 of season one of DWTNCS) might have Russian citizenship. Justine Kish, Ismail Naurdiev and Dennis Siver was born in what is a parts of modern day Russia but seems like they only holds American, Austrian and German citizenships.

Lol seriously, Lewis represented Canada in the Olympics despite being British.
Lennox moved to Canada when he was 12 and was still living in Canada when he went to the Olympics. He has dual citizenship.
It's not even close to the same situation as Cain.

Seems I was wrong and only Anton Berzin (was on TUF 19 and foght on week 7 of season one of DWTNCS) might have Russian citizenship. Justine Kish, Ismail Naurdiev and Dennis Siver was born in what is a parts of modern day Russia but seems like they only holds American, Austrian and German citizenships.
I looked in Wikipedia and it says that Amar Suloev was a citizen of Russia and Armenia (not in all versions of his page, actually). Also I remember seeing something about Dmitry Smoyakov and Poland but not sure if it's true and he holds a citizenship and not something else. Maybe Liana Jojua has a Georgian and Russian citizenship (on Bloodyelbow and Wikipedia she is listed with Georgian flag, but according to her facebook she lives in Moscow, Russia and graduated from school and university there and her Instagram says "Georgia/Russia").

Back