Why is the UFC so adverse to putting on Celebrity/freakshow fights?

they signed cm punk and james tony. they are not so adverse against freak show fights
The Toney one made sense. They wanted to get back at boxing for talkin all this shit

The Toney one made sense. They wanted to get back at boxing for talkin all this shit

whatever the reason was.....it still was a freak show. james tony didnt train seriously at all. he was fat, not in shape and they gave him the worst possible opponent for his mma debut. that shit shouldnt have been sanctioned, it was total bullshit.
signing cm punk was also total bullshit. the guy wasnt even on amateur level, they used him to sell some pvp but knew he would never make it to the UFC if he started in a smaller org.

of course there were more freak show fights in the 90's but back thenm everything was new and it was not that clear where the sport was heading.

The problem with this is that fighters are going to rather want to do those kind of fights and possibly make more money than they would fighting for or defending the title and not bother/delay the fights that move things along. It disrupts UFC's whole system.
That's a good point, although there's no reason why they couldn't have strict contract rules, "champ has to defend 4 times before a boxing event or be stripped of the belt" , that sort of thing , I mean it would all be under their control so they could put up any kind of contract pressure they want.

But you are right I kind of am semi - subconsciously wanting the UFC system to be disrupted when arguing for this kind of thing
<Fedor23>

But I really do think it would make tons of money. Hell they could even do a ONE sort of thing with a pre lim card or boxing and main card of MMA, that's probably a little too much but that would also make them able to chop off some fighters for a leaner roster.

For someone who has long ago turned their back upon the embarrassing and childish, mid to late 20th century, so called "western civilization", who were known to worship, idolizes, and celebrate as "stars and celebrities", the pretenders, actors, imaginers, and makers of believe, please advise, what is an "influencer"??
You embraced North Korea? Every open society has those.

Last edited:
Reactions: HHJ
That's a good point, although there's no reason why they couldn't have strict contract rules, "champ has to defend 4 times before a boxing event or be stripped of the belt" , that sort of thing , I mean it would all be under their control so they could put up any kind of contract pressure they want.

But you are right I kind of am semi - subconsciously wanting the UFC system to be disrupted when arguing for this kind of thing
<Fedor23>

But I really do think it would make tons of money. Hell they could even do a ONE sort of thing with a pre lim card or boxing and main card of MMA, that's probably a little too much but that would also make them able to chop off some fighters for a leaner roster.
They are never going to make contract rules. They can't do that. They aren't gonna make rules they will willingly break themselves when it suits them. If you wanna have an org that does mixed rules watch Rizin and watch ONE.

UFC should stick to MMA. That is their strength.

They are never going to make contract rules. They can't do that. They aren't gonna make rules they will willingly break themselves when it suits them. If you wanna have an org that does mixed rules watch Rizin and watch ONE.

UFC should stick to MMA. That is their strength.
I mean I do feel like they could, you have guys that leave the organization to the detriment of the UFC because they want crossover fight. Say they signed a contract with ngannou stipulating he has to fight X fighter after boxing Fury BUT instead of the UFC getting no money for said boxing match they co promote with their own boxing org, and get a chunk of the pie.

Clauses could be fighter particular, I don't see why it wouldn't be in the UFC's ability as we are already talking about a well oiled machine that rarely "breaks" its own rules.

And I'm sorry but we are in the era of fucking Power Slap, and there's no way that's making more money then crossover boxing would and it's a horrible PR look for the UFC.

And I know I do watch Rizin and ONE, but Fight Pass already does Kick Boxing and grappling, so if there's fucking Power Slap and they have WWE, why not promote Boxing in your own org when it's clearly popular?

Clauses could be fighter particular, I don't see why it wouldn't be in the UFC's ability as we are already talking about a well oiled machine that rarely "breaks" its own rules.
Makes a bigger shambles of everything

"Our best guy is awesome at MMA but BOY he SUCKS at boxing!"

"LMAO @ how bad he did in that kickboxing bout, what a LOSER"

"OH he wont face that guy in that, he's ducking"

That would be stupid. Why make fake fights for just the casuals when you can make real fights for hardcores, casuals, and everyone in between.

For someone who has long ago turned their back upon the embarrassing and childish, mid to late 20th century, so called "western civilization", who were known to worship, idolizes, and celebrate as "stars and celebrities", the pretenders, actors, imaginers, and makers of believe, please advise, what is an "influencer"??
Oh we got a bad ass over here.

"I have the internet, post on sherdog, but I dont know what anything is, I post from a smart phone I got by killing a drifter who wandered to close to my cave"

Makes a bigger shambles of everything

"Our best guy is awesome at MMA but BOY he SUCKS at boxing!"

"LMAO @ how bad he did in that kickboxing bout, what a LOSER"

"OH he wont face that guy in that, he's ducking"
No the point is you'd match it right. Obviously we are not talking about highest level. Although to be clear I'm only talking about Boxing because kick boxing sells so little, Alex makes more in the UFC ha, of course kick boxing is an easier sport to transfer from but I do think it was the money, an equivalent level boxer would never.

they signed cm punk and james tony. they are not so adverse against freak show fights
I'm sure most will disagree, but considering the era I don't really think of James Toney as a freak show fight. Toney was an elite world class boxer who wanted to see what he could do. Ray mercer had just one ahotted tim sylvia. and even washed, had the potential to be dangerous. In hindsight it seems like a freak show, but considering there has never been prior or after an elite boxer crossover, it was legitimately intriguing.

I'm sure most will disagree, but considering the era I don't really think of James Toney as a freak show fight. Toney was an elite world class boxer who wanted to see what he could do. Ray mercer had just one ahotted tim sylvia. and even washed, had the potential to be dangerous. In hindsight it seems like a freak show, but considering there has never been prior or after an elite boxer crossover, it was legitimately intriguing.
This.

My friends who were into boxing were rooting for Toney.

No the point is you'd match it right. Obviously we are not talking about highest level. Although to be clear I'm only talking about Boxing because kick boxing sells so little, Alex makes more in the UFC ha, of course kick boxing is an easier sport to transfer from but I do think it was the money, an equivalent level boxer would never.
If you only gonna do this with lower level guys then the UFC dont need to bother with it.

If you only gonna do this with lower level guys then they dont need to bother with it.
Agree to disagree. That's the whole game of crossover Boxing. Which does have a real market right now.

Agree to disagree. That's the whole game of crossover Boxing. Which does have a real market right now.
Let them do it then.

I believe it is to UFC's strength to being the face of MMA.

Trying to be somethin else is dillution and probably more trouble than what its worth

Let them do it then.

I believe it is to their strength to being the face of MMA.

Trying to be somethin else is dillution and probably more trouble than what its worth
I agree somewhat, but its not where the sports at right now, and with Power Slap the whole dynamic of this conversation changes.

Without Power Slap, I probably wouldn't be arguing for something like Zuffa cross over boxing but that's where the UFC is at. And I'm not gonna pretend I didn't watch Paul vs Perry, I saw you there too in the thread ha, we were both rooting for Perry despite the odds.

The main or only focus should of course be MMA, and my primary gripe with the UFC is that MMA could be WAY bigger right now, could be having proper super fights, the fact that Topuria vs Holloway hasn't been booked and already been promoted for months is a travesty, and this Jones vs Stipe fight is a waist of everyone's time frankly.

I agree somewhat, but its not where the sports at right now, and with Power Slap this changes the whole dynamic of what I'm saying.

Without Power Slap, I probably wouldn't be arguing for it either, and I'm not gonna pretend I didn't watch Paul vs Perry, I saw you there too in the thread ha, we were both rooting for Perry despite the odds.

The main or only focus should of course be MMA, and my primary gripe with the UFC is that MMA could be WAY bigger right now, could be having proper super fights, the fact that Topuria vs Holloway hasnt been booked and already been promoted for months is a travesty, and this Jones vs Stipe fight is a waist of everyone's time frankly.
So your answer is that because UFC did the dumbest shit they ever did, the most mindnumbingly retarded move they ever could have done by endorsing slap bullshit they should just keep doing stupid shit that will in the long run to more harm than good?

I was rooting for Perry IN SPITE of the fact that he was clearly handpicked for this fight when they saw how badly he got tuned up by the smaller, older NOTBOXER Eddie Alvarez for most of their BKFC fight.

Cos I fuckin hate Jake Paul.

As far as crossover fights in general tho, even the fair ones, I am OK with them in principle. Just dont think the UFC should do them. Its a waste of time for they way they run things. If two guys fightin each other in MMA aint enough for people, then dont know what to tell you.

If you cant really grapple anymore, or the training of MMA is too hard on the body then leave and do a boxing fight like Nate and Mas did. All good.

Back