Why is sport jiu jitsu...

JerseyTrash

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Becoming so lame in regard to leglocks? Part of the reason I decided to start training jiu jitsu was because I always heard that it was the most effective form of fighting. Recently a purple belt in my school was DQed after slapping a knee bar on a guy in the PanAms. WTF is that about? The guy's been training for like 6 or 7 years and he's not allowed to use leglocks???

Becoming so lame in regard to leglocks? Part of the reason I decided to start training jiu jitsu was because I always heard that it was the most effective form of fighting. Recently a purple belt in my school was DQed after slapping a knee bar on a guy in the PanAms. WTF is that about? The guy's been training for like 6 or 7 years and he's not allowed to use leglocks???

If that is the case, that blows. Leg locks account for like 50% of my sub attempts. I used to train sub wrestling under a frank Shamrock instructor, did some Sambo and my BJJ coach is a CSW and SHooto instructor under Paulson, so I love the leg locks.

ya that sucks. i understand they can be dangerous, but thats just part of the game imo. when you restrict any subs below the belt it just makes things a lot less fun

it's the reason i do sambo. i started training leg locks day 1. and i know a lot of BJJ guys don't even start to learn them till they are brown belts, or even black.

usually they are allowed in No-Gi but at lower belts it is because of the pants. It makes it harder for the ref to see how deep it is and how much danger the guy is in. Plus it can be alot easier to get tangled up in the submission.

usually they are allowed in No-Gi but at lower belts it is because of the pants. It makes it harder for the ref to see how deep it is and how much danger the guy is in. Plus it can be alot easier to get tangled up in the submission.

when i was in pan am, leg locks weren't allowed till advanced or intermediate or something, it was like the 3rd level there. with no gi

I have been training bjj for over 2 years and have never been shown a single leg attack or defense! We should be shown atleast the defense to them just to make bjj 'the dominant' ground fighting art which its suppose to be, i personally would feel embarresed for my teachers if i had a sambo guy who has been training for only 6 months leg lock me after i had been training 4-6 years! (which is a real possibility)

I have been training bjj for over 2 years and have never been shown a single leg attack or defense! We should be shown atleast the defense to them just to make bjj 'the dominant' ground fighting art which its suppose to be, i personally would feel embarresed for my teachers if i had a sambo guy who has been training for only 6 months leg lock me after i had been training 4-6 years! (which is a real possibility)
this is my thing right here. my first day at my mma gym, my coach was showing sambo. i learned a knee bar before i learned anything else. when ever i roll against bjj guys that are better then me purple belts, and brwn belts... i have NEVER ran into a guy with better leg locks then me. that isn't being prideful, it's just me having been learning leg locks as soon as i started training.

Wow you guys are behind the times. One question though, why do people think leg locks are so important? They aren't any better or worse than any other submission. Why do people think they HAVE to know them over other submissions? I've been training with leg locks since the beginning, and I think some BJJ schools seem to be becoming too conservative on them. But the other guys are just a little too excited about them.

but BJJ guys don't learn them because they aren't used in competition. i think it's a huge flaw. but it's ok for me. i don't train "BJJ"

Wow you guys are behind the times. One question though, why do people think leg locks are so important? They aren't any better or worse than any other submission. Why do people think they HAVE to know them over other submissions? I've been training with leg locks since the beginning, and I think some BJJ schools seem to be becoming too conservative on them. But the other guys are just a little too excited about them.

htat's like saying "what's the big deal about arm locks?" yeah they are like other subs, but if you don't know arm bars, it will be pretty easy to get caught with one don't you think?

If leglocks aren't any better or worse than any other submissions, why is the BJJ community constantly frowning upon them?

They HAVE to know them the same reason you have to know how to apply/escape an armabr.

bjj guys know them.. just later than other styles.
that is over simplification. just learning them later makes it sound like it's no big deal. if guys don't learn them till brown belt or black belt, that's a lot of time

and it has clearly handicapped bjj practioners in no gi grappling tourneys such as adcc.

that is over simplification. just learning them later makes it sound like it's no big deal. if guys don't learn them till brown belt or black belt, that's a lot of time

In most tourneys:

Foot locks start at blue (straight foot locks)

Knee bars at purple

toe holds/knee slicers at brown.

Other than heel hooks (wich make it much more dagerous because of the friction of the gi) leglocks are allowed. Competitions are not designed to crown champions (especially in non blackbelt bjj) there are there to HELP DEVELOP YOUR GAME.

btw do you even know bjj for you to make uninformed statements like that?

and it has clearly handicapped bjj practioners in no gi grappling tourneys such as adcc.

is that sarcasm?

btw, where did page 3 went?:rolleyes: this thread had 3rd page like 3 hours ago, I swear!

yes i do. thank you for asking. i am a huge fan of the art. and have trained in it as well, not for rank or anything, but for knowledge

In most tourneys:

Foot locks start at blue (straight foot locks)

Knee bars at purple

toe holds/knee slicers at brown.

Other than heel hooks (wich make it much more dagerous because of the friction of the gi) leglocks are allowed. Competitions are not designed to crown champions (especially in non blackbelt bjj) there are there to HELP DEVELOP YOUR GAME.
That actually sounds very reasonable to me, though I believe kneebars should be allowed at blue also.

yes i do. thank you for asking. i am a huge fan of the art. and have trained in it as well, not for rank or anything, but for knowledge

how long have you trained and since it's clear that you haven't competed nor have helped teamates compete... How much "knowlage" of jiu jitsu do you have?

Back