Why is nobody talking about Rothwell?

He has 1 good victory, and he fights about once a year.

The Heavyweight division is Werdum, Cain, JDS, Stripe, Overeem, Arlovski and Browne. Nobody else really matters. But hey... at least we have another season of TUF lightweights soon

The lighter weight tufs are ridiculous, heavyweight in ufc has maybe 1/3 the roster of lightweight. The guys don't have to be great, just get them in there.

Exactly. Ben showed his P4P skills by beating the larger man.

1de8e7e2_NicolasCageLaugh_zps450526da.gif

The Heavyweight division is Werdum, Cain, JDS, Stripe, Overeem, Arlovski and Browne. Nobody else really matters.

Rothwell BEAT Overeem, how does he 'not matter' compared to him, because he has a less appealing style? Also I think he would have a good chance of beating Browne, would love to finally see that fight after the feud they had a while back with Browne similarly trying to 'dismiss' Ben like you are.

Last edited:
Rothwell is awesome. I'm from Wisconsin and I always thought he was a doofy, awkward guy who was never going to challenge for a title. But after his winning streak, post fight interview with Anik, and his awesome story telling on mmajunkie's podcast a while back, I find him highly entertaining and likeable.

If you missed him on MMAjunkie, I highly recomend you listen, very entertaining and funny dude.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/07/stream...-radio-1996-with-ben-rothwell-and-john-morgan

His last in cage interview was so embarrassing.. I'd rather not be reminded of it..

"YOU AINT SEEN NOTHING YET.. MUHUHUHAHAHA"

Oh god fucking damn it!!!

Dude, that was hilarious. I would LOVE for Rothwell to somehow become the champ. It would be so entertaining lol.

Only no buzz because his next fight isn't announced not much to talk about now

Ben is awesome I really hope to see him fight for the belt, his whole act was so corny it was actually great lol

I think its because no one really thinks he's a threat or a serious contender. Ben has some nice wins but I dont see him getting much further them this.

Ben Rothwell has been fighting since 2001 and it was only in the Vera fight where for the first time in his career he decided to monitor his diet. He also incorporated circuit training and has looked leaner and sharper ever since. Prior to the Vera fight he never had back to back wins and now he has a tidy little streak going for him.

Professional Big Ben is right up there with motivated BJ and gameplan Randy.

Last edited:
Because he has an awkward style, and you never know which Rothwell shows up. That's why people keep counting him out. On top of that he's not that charismatic; when he gets a mic in his face it gets even more awkward lol

He has personally come on sherdog to be an asshole to people. He isn't making any friends from what i've seen over the years.

He's a solid HW fighter, but I can't ever see him challenging for the belt. He's good everywhere, but great nowhere. Big power and a great chin, but athletically limited.

Marketing.

The UFC and the media are too occupied with shoving RR and Conor down our throats that there's no time to report on non-marketable fighters.

Given the power of the media, we (the fans) oblige by mainly talking about what the media is reporting.

He is just a big ogre. He is more raw power and brute strength as opposed to skill and talent. What exactly is there to talk about? He's just not that good, but don't make a mistake and it's lights out.

I disagree with your assessment of Rothwell's skillset. The man has been in the fight game for over 16 years. Age and experience plus he is simply hitting his stride now. He has competed with the top 10 HW's and I cannot wait to see what they schedule him for next. He is a refreshing breath of fresh air in a division that has only a few real stars.

The way he stopped Overeem was beautiful, he is a big strong guy, decent technique and agility for his size and would have arguably competed better with Velasquez than almost anyone starting out fighting him if not for a stupid early stoppage. I would love to see him fight Cain again, hopefully moving UP the ladder he meets Cain somewhere in the middle, beats him (OR someone else) and earns a title shot.

He has personally come on sherdog to be an asshole to people. He isn't making any friends from what i've seen over the years.

You speak about this as if it is a bad thing. It would be great for more professional fighters to come back but then you'll only have couch bound neckbeards criticizing him even though they themselves never even set foot in a cage or ring. Also can you please provide a link to his posts on Sherdog?

I think its because no one really thinks he's a threat or a serious contender. Ben has some nice wins but I dont see him getting much further them this.

Hey dude. That is EXACTLY what people thought before his fight with Overeem and look how that turned out. Part of the reason we watch is to see the occasional fucked up win or fight. The unexpected victory entertains us, plus it shows all our opinions to be wrong.

I criticized him before the Vera fight but afterwards even though he was busted I was entranced, this dude has legit skills, and with Werdum coming back, Fedor, Arlovski and hopefully to some extent Frank Mir, this is a great time to be a fan of HW MMA. Thankfully Cain lost the title as it helped clear the log jam of contenders at the top.

I disagree with your assessment of Rothwell's skillset. The man has been in the fight game for over 16 years. Age and experience plus he is simply hitting his stride now. He has competed with the top 10 HW's and I cannot wait to see what they schedule him for next. He is a refreshing breath of fresh air in a division that has only a few real stars.

The way he stopped Overeem was beautiful, he is a big strong guy, decent technique and agility for his size and would have arguably competed better with Velasquez than almost anyone starting out fighting him if not for a stupid early stoppage. I would love to see him fight Cain again, hopefully moving UP the ladder he meets Cain somewhere in the middle, beats him (OR someone else) and earns a title shot.

I think he was being out classed by Overeem and was able to KO him because of his weak chin only.

I think he was being out classed by Overeem and was able to KO him because of his weak chin only.

Ah, the good old "he was winning right up until he got his ass whooped" argument.

I don't necessarily even agree with that. Overeem looked good for 90 seconds or so, but then he got rocked badly by Rothwell but recovered and then got cracked again in the next significant exchange about 45 seconds later. At no point did Rothwell look phased by anything Overeem landed.

Back