Why is Jones' height and reach advantage only a problem

KR811**

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It seems MMA fans only have a problem with Jones height and reach advantage.

MMA fans have no problem with Weidman's size advantage who was reported to be as big as HW Brendan Schaub.

MMA fans have no problem with Gustafson's size advantages. His accomplishments are never discredited despite the same size.

The same could also go for Donald Cerrone who is much taller than the rest of the LW division.

try to be a little more subtle when racebaiting next time.

try to be a little more subtle when racebaiting next time.

If I was race baiting then I would included people also having a problem with mighty mouse's size and discrediting exclusively black fighters as "explosive".

But I didn't do that know did I?

Who's got a problem with it? Everyone knows it's his advantage but the other guys you've mentioned haven't found ways to maximize the advantage as Jones has.

Probably because Jones uses his size and reach advantage the most efficiently.

Funny thing is Jones didn't really use his length last night much.

For me Jones best advantage isn't height and reach, it is his toughness (durability) and wrestling.

Yes being able to kick from across the cage is an advantage, but he survived Gus' onslaught and Vitor's armbar. He took Cormier's hard shots. The dude is tough.

Who's got a problem with it? Everyone knows it's his advantage but the other guys you've mentioned haven't found ways to maximize the advantage as Jones has.

Virtually every Jones hater uses his height and reach advantage to discredit Jones entire career. Yet they ignore other fighters who are roughly the same same size Jones fighting smaller fighters and taller fighters getting destroy by much small fighters such as Struve vs. Hunt.

Virtually every Jones hater uses his height and reach advantage to discredit Jones entire career. Yet they ignore other fighters who are roughly the same same size Jones fighting smaller fighters and taller fighters getting destroy by much small fighters such as Struve vs. Hunt.

Heavyweights are a bit different just because knockouts happen quite often. You don't have to be as skilled to win. Very few have height and the reach advantage as Jones does. But hey, someone has to figure out how to beat him.

Thats because Jon is usually fighting at a 10+ inch reach advantage. Cerrone or Weidman dont have such big differences in reach with their opponents. Jon's reach is just freaky.

Because Jones gets contriubted a huge amount of skill to him, the GOAT, etc.

When some of us think that he gets carries most of the way by his particular frame,
Giving him a whole arrangement of advantages.

I don't think it's fair to pit normal sized guys against a genetic freak and then claiming skill.
He is not skill-less, but take 8" off his reach, and 2" off his height, and i guarantee you his career would have looked very different

Gus and Weidman have advantages too, not nearly as extremely pronounced though.
But i also have this same mentality whenever i see one of them against a small guy -I'm like, big woop, he's supposed to win, no?

A big show of skill and superior technique would be the smaller guy beating the much bigger guys, especially if it's not due to cardio, which would typically be a much smaller guys advanatage

Heavyweights are a bit different just because knockouts happen quite often. You don't have to be as skilled to win. Very few have height and the reach advantage as Jones does. But hey, someone has to figure out how to beat him.

Struve is 7 feet and th biggest reach and got folded by a 5'10 Hunt.

I don't like Jon Jones as a person but he is the best fighter out there right now. Sure, his reach is a HUGE advantage but it's his fight I.Q. and timing that are the biggest problem for his opponents. He recognizes every opening that he has and his timing enables him to take advantage.

Because Jones gets contriubted a huge amount of skill to him, the GOAT, etc.

When some of us think that he gets carries most of the way by his particular frame,
Giving him a whole arrangement of advantages.

I don't think it's fair to pit normal sized guys against a genetic freak and then claiming skill.
He is not skill-less, but take 8" off his reach, and 2" off his height, and i guarantee you his career would have looked very different

Gus and Weidman have advantages too, not nearly as extremely pronounced though.
But i also have this same mentality whenever i see one of them against a small guy -I'm like, big woop, he's supposed to win, no?

A big show of skill and superior technique would be the smaller guy beating the much bigger guys, especially if it's not due to cardio, which would typically be a much smaller guys advanatage

Gus has the same advantages as Jones.

Sttruve has the same reach as Jones, think about that for a sec. And like I mentioned before, it's not as significant of a obstacle at heavyweight due to fights ending quickly with one punch.

Gus has the same advantages as Jones.

No, but close. (And close, because we are dealing with Jones, means a significant advantage/disadvantage, but we won't get closer)

They don't have a problem with people being physically gifted, they just hate Jon Jones.

Invoking Struve's name doesn't help your argument. He's a heavyweight and is 7' ... and , guess what, he has the same reach as Jones - 84".

It doesn't really matter, though, because after last night's performance I think Jones would be HW champ if he decided to move up to HW and fight guys his own size.

Back