Why is Jones' height and reach advantage only a problem

For me Jones best advantage isn't height and reach, it is his toughness (durability) and wrestling.

Yes being able to kick from across the cage is an advantage, but he survived Gus' onslaught and Vitor's armbar. He took Cormier's hard shots. The dude is tough.

He really is. Even in the Cormier and Gus fight it looked like he was breaking but that was just his face his heart was still all there and he just kept going.

Funny thing is Jones didn't really use his length last night much.

He most certainly did. It's what gives him leverage to avoid takedowns, use shoulder strikes, arm cranks, great knees in the clinch, elbows, et cetera. It gives him an extra nanosecond or two that other guys just don't have.

And to the TS's point, people hate Wladimir Klitschko, too.

Ofc they all have advantages but Jon had the greatest physical advantages of them all.

I'm a Gus fan but i'll admit that Gus goes through alot more than Jon in order to make LHW.

We all know why they really try to discredit Jones TS.

Because Jones gets contriubted a huge amount of skill to him, the GOAT, etc.

When some of us think that he gets carries most of the way by his particular frame,
Giving him a whole arrangement of advantages.

I don't think it's fair to pit normal sized guys against a genetic freak and then claiming skill.
He is not skill-less, but take 8" off his reach, and 2" off his height, and i guarantee you his career would have looked very different

Gus and Weidman have advantages too, not nearly as extremely pronounced though.
But i also have this same mentality whenever i see one of them against a small guy -I'm like, big woop, he's supposed to win, no?

A big show of skill and superior technique would be the smaller guy beating the much bigger guys, especially if it's not due to cardio, which would typically be a much smaller guys advanatage

You pretty much summed it up. Many people especially agree with the bolded part.

Don't know that I've ever heard anybody say they have a problem with it. It's a huge advantage for sure but it's kinda standard in MMA that you want to be the bigger guy in the division.

Back