Why is GSP willing to return against Woodley but not against Lawler?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Obviously GSP has been taking and considering a comeback for sometime. Robbie was the long time champ and was running low on people to fight. GSP never said anything about returning against Lawler. But not that Lawler got beat and Woodley is the champ all of a sudden GSP agrees to fight him.

I believe that Tyrone is more dangerous than Lawler, faster, more 1 punch power, and good wrestling.

GSP would have UD'd Lawler but could be at a risk of getting KO'd/TKO'd against Woodley.

So, why did GSP agree to the Tyrone fight so quickly but not the Lawler one?

GSP won't take a fight he isn't confident he can win.

Why are all other contenders that have actually been working their asses off being pushed to the side....

Moronic fan base that goes : OH YEAH GSP or FUCK YEAH DIAZ.

3 years and 6 years off = instant title shot.

Complete joke.

Did he agree?

Anyway, might just have been timing, might be dumb thinking on my part , but maybe he didn't want to come back to overblown media circus of UFC 200

Robbie never brought it up and GSP is clearly looking for a payday fight. Tyron brought it up so now is interested.

Same with Bisping. It wasn't GSP idea to fight him.

GSP said Lawler didn't interest him, He beat tons of guys who beat Lawler.

Diaz
Shields
Hendricks
Miller

Because obviously Tyrone is the big money fight that everyone wants to see.

Obviously GSP has been taking and considering a comeback for sometime. Robbie was the long time champ and was running low on people to fight. GSP never said anything about returning against Lawler. But not that Lawler got beat and Woodley is the champ all of a sudden GSP agrees to fight him.

I believe that Tyrone is more dangerous than Lawler, faster, more 1 punch power, and good wrestling.

GSP would have UD'd Lawler but could be at a risk of getting KO'd/TKO'd against Woodley.

So, why did GSP agree to the Tyrone fight so quickly but not the Lawler one?

I don't know if this is why but GSP claims that his people were negotiating his return. Said if it was up to him he would have signed already but he promised his team that he would let them get the best deal for him.

Didn't Robbie also say GSP doesn't want to return against him or something like that? Robbie's one of my favorites but I have him losing a boring decision to GSP. Even now.

Lawler is a tougher fight for GSP than Woodley is. He's a better striker, has TDD, and is less likely to gas.

I have been asking myself the same thing.

Is GSP basing his picks on the fights with rory macdonald?? i know it sounds a bit out there, but really... i think he wasnt into that blood bath life.

and rory styled on tyrone, so maybe he is more confident he could do the same?!
also maybe he thinks that tyrone just had a lucky punch? who knows

Last edited:
Maybe Lawler's questionable test results had something to do with it.

UFC 205 50-45
St.Pierre Vs Woodley

Why are all other contenders that have actually been working their asses off being pushed to the side....

Moronic fan base that goes : OH YEAH GSP or FUCK YEAH DIAZ.

3 years and 6 years off = instant title shot.

Complete joke.
GSP at WW is in a class of his own. He is also the Linear WW champion as he never lost his title. He could sit out until he is 50 and if he wanted an immediate titleshot he would be entitled to it. Its not like he lost a bunch of fights and was a shot fighter coming back to grab one last paycheck a la Ken Shamrock. GSP is a good bet to beat any 170 lb fighter on planet earth. He is the only guy in the world that should get to the front of the line over Wonderboy though.

I think his people and the UFC have been trying to come to terms for awhile now. Finally they are close to making something happen.

Is GSP basing his picks on the fights with rory macdonald?? i know it sounds unlikely, but really... i think he wasnt into that blood bath life.

This could be true

Lawler is not a fight that someone coming out of retirement probably wants

Nick Diaz is even making excuses for reason not to fight lawler

Is GSP basing his picks on the fights with rory macdonald?? i know it sounds unlikely, but really... i think he wasnt into that blood bath life.

I think there is a more likely scenario that involves Rory. Perhaps GSP wasn't interested in a WW title run in the UFC as long as Rory was in the mix. It is possible that Rory is planning to sign with Bellator and has to wait out the UFC's matching period before making it official. GSP could now be free to jump back into the UFC WW waters if Rory is moving on.

Back