Why is Edward's 9-0-1 streak not being talked about like Ferguson's 12 fight win streak

Simple question.

Leon NC also came after he was clearly taking Bethel to school.

Half of Ferguson's wins were over nobodies and ghosts of fighter's past.

Leon has a dominant W over Luque who's in title talks himself.

Leon should be talked about with the same gusto prime Ferguson was.

Honestly I believe Usman will fight anyone over Leon. Leon is the only person to ever neutralize Usman's wrestling.
Watch the third round of Usman-Leon first fight.

Leon was getting dominated pretty rough imo, I doubt Leon can defend/deter Usman wrestling, even Islam outgrappled Leon when he trained for a brief period at AKA

(I did saw improvement tho in Leon standup but - he's not exactly a finisher - and that 5th round in Diaz fight - is a disadvantage of a non-finisher in Leon)

Tony Ferguson is one of the most unique and exciting fighters in UFC history.

Leon is not.

This is a silly expectation.

Watch the third round of Usman-Leon first fight.

Leon was getting dominated pretty rough imo, I doubt Leon can defend/deter Usman wrestling, even Islam outgrappled Leon when he trained for a brief period at AKA

(I did saw improvement tho in Leon standup but - he's not exactly a finisher - and that 5th round in Diaz fight - is a disadvantage of a non-finisher in Leon)
Edwards did well in the first. 2 judges gave it to him. He defended Usman's early attempts to take him down, he definitely looked like the better of the two during the stinking exchanges and then when Usman finally did get the TD Leon was immediately threatening with a triangle and had basically neutralized any Usman offense.

It was actually a punch in the second round that caught Leon and allowed Usman to take control of the fight. After that punch Leon couldn't defend the TD anymore.

Tony was a wildman and fought like one.

I couldnt remember too much about Leon's fights or his personality. Also him getting three pieced and a soda was the height of good humor.

Edwards did well in the first. 2 judges gave it to him. He defended Usman's early attempts to take him down, he definitely looked like the better of the two during the stinking exchanges and then when Usman finally did get the TD Leon was immediately threatening with a triangle and had basically neutralized any Usman offense.

It was actually a punch in the second round that caught Leon and allowed Usman to take control of the fight. After that punch Leon couldn't defend the TD anymore.
If Leon ever got another title shot I think I will still give the edge in the standup to Usman.

Usman controlled Masvidal by takedown threat before the knockout.

Usman looked troublesome with Burns initially, but did later controlled Burns with good jabs.

If Leon couldn't imposed his gameplan (i.e. it is not Leon that leading the dance) then I give the advantage to Usman.

Usman able to take Colby pace for 5 rounds and later finishes him; Leon did got caught by Nate in the fifth. At least that is the math, pattern that I'm seeing here.

He set out for almost 2 years for no reason then had a NC in a fight that could have been a DQ. It's not hard to see how that hurt his momentum. The fact he was close to losing to Nate also doesn't look good especially because it was in the final round so that's what people remember about the fight.

Edit: He did get forced out of a fight due to Covid, but that was still like 1.5 years after his previous fight

Last edited:
Is it really that hard to see?

Tony's 12 fights were 9 finishes with a variety of submissions. D'arce chokes, triangles, RNC's, dude literally smooth af in transitions and subs and would also stand and bang

His style was high risk, high reward, but he still won

Edwards is 9-0-1 with 7 decisions.

"Tony fought a bunch of nobodies and guys past their prime," meanwhile Edwards has RDA/Cerrone on his win streak, too

Edwards isn't getting talked about the same way because his fights weren't as exciting. The most exciting moment of his win streak is Nate's 1-2 and "I got you" moment at the end of their fight, tbh

Simple question.

Honestly I believe Usman will fight anyone over Leon. Leon is the only person to ever neutralize Usman's wrestling.

Leon's best win is a toss-up between washed Nate Diaz, too small/washed Cerrone and RDA. Other than beating Seth Baczynski, he hasn't received a post fight bonus, and that was prior to his current streak.

Ferguson's best is RDA 3 years earlier and right after RDA lost the belt, overrated Kevin Lee and Edson Barbosa. T-Ferg had 5 FotN awards and another 4 " ..of the Night" bonuses.

Edwards is a very good fighter, but you can't expect people to just hype somebody up for uneventful fights against questionable competition.

Simple question.

Bruh what.

Leon's career highlight is getting rocked by Diaz.

RDA is a good win, and then what? A nearly 5 year old win against Luque? The razor close fight with Gunnar?

mr boring himself gsp said all he cared about was winning an didnt care if fans say him as boring.
While GSP was also called boring, he was mostly fighting the best in the sport. Even then, GSP still had some fun fights to watch. I don't have an issue with Edwards, but he's not the fighter I'm name-dropping for anybody to watch.

Simple question.

There is not 1 fight of Leon's winstreak as entertaining as any of Ferguson's 12 fight win streak.

The bigger question is why everybody handwaves away that Tony nearly lost at least half of those fights.

His streak was impressive because, for somebody watching him objectively, he wasn't really on another level compared to these guys, and may not even have been a top 5 fighter (the only two he beat were RDA and Cowboy). Thus the impressive part was that he was pulling off these wins, and pulling off is the correct word as rarely did he actually dominate any of them. He was pulling out wins after getting repeatedly dropped/10'8d, and so it was exciting and he was crazy, but that was causing overhyping to ignore those clear flaws.

He very well could've gone 6-6 and nobody would've ever talked about him. Which is to me why anybody seriously thinking he'd ever have beaten Conor/Khabib in 2016 are just being delusional. Not impossible but the favourite clearly wouldn't have been Tony given how much better Conor's standup/Khabib's grappling was. The writing was on the wall for the exact losses he ended up having.

Edwards meanwhile, last minute of Diaz nonwithstanding, actually is going out and dominating his opponents. He's clearly the superior fighter, but also is clearly coasting which is the issue. Nobody's going to get exciting watching someone do that. Even GSP, who people complained about's string of decisions, couldn't have that accusation launched against him as he clearly was at least still trying (watch how he punched the cage against Penn II in anger). You watch Edwards and either want him to actually start trying, or for somebody to actually push him to try.

Because a Point Fighter's streak is not exciting as a fighter that has a streak of finishing fights and not counting on a Judge's decision for every fight.

Leon Edwards streak is worse than Tim Sylvia's streak when he was champ.

Wrong.
Leon put such a hurting on Diaz for the first 4 and 3/4 rounds that Diaz couldn't muster the energy to finish a wobbly Leon.
This is a valid take, but the masses don't see it like that. Even fellow fighters look at it like Nate won.

Leon blew it big time getting sloppy in the last minute of the fight. It sucks because that fight was supposed to make him more known to casuals and provide him with recognition. I guess in a way it did, but it wasn't in a good way.

This is a valid take, but the masses don't see it like that. Even fellow fighters look at it like Nate won.

Leon blew it big time getting sloppy in the last minute of the fight. It sucks because that fight was supposed to make him more known to casuals and provide him with recognition. I guess in a way it did, but it wasn't in a good way.
What fellow fighters? Can you give 2 examples?

Neither guy deserved a title shot.

Ferg was on a can crusher streak and Leon was on a curing peoples’ insomnia streak

Simple question.

he doesn’t want to fight. according to Dana

Back