why is diego fighting melendez?

tshort**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand this match up. I know it will most likely be a barn burner but i dont get why Diego would get such a high profile fight against a top 5 LW.

Diego has not legitimately won a fight since Paulo thiago more than a couple of years ago. Kampmann and Gomi beat him up good yet he escaped with the decisions some how.

He has not looked good in a while and Gil just fought for the belt...he needs to be fighting a better/more currently established top LW. He should not be up against a very lucky Diego whose skill has obviously diminished in the last few years.

My point is that I want to see top fighter fight other top fighters. I understand with injuries and timing that the fighters at the top can't always fight each other and they probably don't want to sit on the sidelines waiting for a fight while they are healthy and ready to go. I'm just very underwhelmed by this fight and want to see gil really test himself against the top of the division. Not someone who has seen their best days and is not even in the top ten.

I don't understand this match up. I know it will most likely be a barn burner but i dont get why Diego would get such a high profile fight against a top 5 LW.

Diego has not legitimately won a fight since Paulo thiago more than a couple of years ago. Kampmann and Gomi beat him up good yet he escaped with the decisions some how.

He has not looked good in a while and Gil just fought for the belt...he needs to be fighting a better/more currently established top LW. He should not be up against a very lucky Diego whose skill has obviously diminished in the last few years.

My point is that I want to see top fighter fight other top fighters. I understand with injuries and timing that the fighters at the top can't always fight each other and they probably don't want to sit on the sidelines waiting for a fight while they are healthy and ready to go. I'm just very underwhelmed by this fight and want to see gil really test himself against the top of the division. Not someone who has seen their best days and is not even in the top ten.

it can draw some buys and Melendez can get a easy W and jump right back to #1 contender, I guess.

it can draw some buys and Melendez can get a easy W and jump right back to #1 contender, I guess.

Well they are both Hispanic, fighting in Houston. Win/win? Not even being racist. And it honestly seems like a good fight on paper

Okay, when have you ever seen anybody get an easy win over Diego? Don't be so quick to write him off.

Seems a bit of a mismatch to me, especially since I feel Melendez beat Bendo, but oh well.

Gil should actually be fighting Gomi , but ither way Gil vs Diego is pretty solid as both have great cardio and can take a punch. Diego has had a long career and the only time he was finished was by Penn via cut... Gil has never been finished

Okay, when have you ever seen anybody get an easy win over Diego? Don't be so quick to write him off.

BJ comes to mind, and I think the Diego that fought BJ beats the current version of Diego.

BJ comes to mind, and I think the Diego that fought BJ beats the current version of Diego.

Not to delve too far into semantics but what do you consider an "easy" win? I will concede that Sanchez was over matched on nearly all fronts, but Jay had him hurt on multiple occasions and couldn't finish him until the fifth round with a bad cut... Surely there is some merit in that?

Diego has a name thats pretty much it...

He doesnt deserve the fight but w/e im just ready for Gil to move on and get a big fight after he whoops Diego. Maybe if Maynard beats Nate, Gil can get revenge.

Not to delve too far into semantics but what do you consider an "easy" win? I will concede that Sanchez was over matched on nearly all fronts, but Jay had him hurt on multiple times and couldn't finish him until the fifth round with a bad cut... Surely there is some merit in that?

I think Kampmann and Gomi beat Sanchez and it wasn't close....even if the judges don't agree with me. Maybe not easy to finish, but there have been a few people to easily beat him.

If Diego got the wins (regardless if people agree or not) they are going to move him ahead on who he fights. Gil lost so he moves a bit back. Yeah Gil is the favourite but almost every fight has a notable favourite. Diego will probably lose, but I dont think it will be the one sided beat down everyone thinks it will be.

Melendez isn't motivated blood-licking in shape BJ, so Sanchez should do just fine.

OK TS, who should have got the fight vs Melendez. it is easy to criticize, but a lot harder to come up with a better alternative.

I know theres a kick in the sack waiting for me on this, but I scored the Kampmann fight to Diego on aggression alone. HAVING SAID THAT... Gils waaay faster, and is gonna dictate a pace that Diegos gonna have a hard time with. If I was a gambling fella Id go Gil. But Id be a liar if I said I wouldn't love to see the upset. Either way, we all win, sick fight.

I know theres a kick in the sack waiting for me on this, but I scored the Kampmann fight to Diego on aggression alone. HAVING SAID THAT... Gils waaay faster, and is gonna dictate a pace that Diegos gonna have a hard time with. If I was a gambling fella Id go Gil. But Id be a liar if I said I wouldn't love to see the upset. Either way, we all win, sick fight.

from the moment the fight was announced i was supporting Gil. until he called himself the "Uncrowned Champ" and this was his first defense of his title.

now, i hope for the upset.

I would rather see Diego fight Melendez than watch a rematch of a rematch
that is the main event.

Good point. But do you think that that Diego could beat Melendez???

No one thinks Diego can win. He doesn't even have a punchers chance. Only chance he has is if the judges are drunk and score randomly.

Because under the new UFC regime, being a constant FOTN guy will get you promotions.

Winning and losing don't matter much anymore.

Back