Why is Bruce Lee considered such an incredible mixed martial artist?

Bruce only weighed ~135lb and was 5'8".

How could he possibly be incredible?

Im being sarcastic. Its so funny how this site has so many threads about height. Weight I can understand there are weight classes but height classes?

Ah, if it was sarcasm then it went over my head. Lol Cheers

He popularized mixing styles.

Others had done it before but he was the first to literally base his style off of stealing techniques from others. The way of no way was a brilliant martial arts philosophy.

As was his rebranding it as martial sciences.

This was the brilliance of Bruce Lee. His philosophy and teachings. Not his actual fighting skills.

People who believe that Bruce's significance came from his own personal fighting skills are greatly missing the point. He's more Belichick than Brady.

He won in his movie fights so fanboys just made up the myth about him of course

In truth if he wanted to fight he could have done vale tudo..but he didn't want to fight. Just another actor. It's just funny how many people actually believe he was a seriously capable fighter with zero proof.

Former kickboxing and karate champ Joe Lewis himself said Bruce Lee was as fast as a flyweight but hit like a heavyweight.
Plenty of the top martial artists of the time said he was legit.
Yep, and I do buy that. He probably was legit. But there's a huge gap from legit to being able to do okay in competition.
I bet there are tons of martial artists who are legit, they could be great trainers, very impressive while doing light sparring, training etc but who wouldn't even cut it in the UFC or their sports equivalent elite league.

He had all of the tools to be a great fighter - you can see he's shredded and powerful and weighed what, 135-145 without cutting? And blindingly fast. With modern training methods he could have been a beast.

Because before you were born or maybe before your parents were born he was at the front edge of martial arts.

He helped popularize it in the west and indspired countless people.

One of the sad things about MMA becoming mainstream is these kinds of questions get asked by people ignorant of the history.
Also that the martial codes are lost and idiots learn fighting.
Mcregor is the example of everything that's wrong and should not be associated with martial arts.

<Waaah>

His influence on the martial arts in general cannot be denied. Considering his history, philosophy, and training regiments have been cited by actual competitive martial artist for sometime.

You’re ignorant if you think (hypothetically) he is competitive with modern MMA fighters.

You’re also ignorant if you deny his influence on modern martial arts. Which has clearly morphed into what MMA is right now.

Former kickboxing and karate champ Joe Lewis himself said Bruce Lee was as fast as a flyweight but hit like a heavyweight.

He was probably the greatest fighter ever but definetely the one and only true creator of Mixed Martial Arts.

- Not fighting with each other?
Chuck Norris laughs, and says ''I was a professional fighter.''

He had all of the tools to be a great fighter - you can see he's shredded and powerful and weighed what, 135-145 without cutting? And blindingly fast. With modern training methods he could have been a beast.
- How well your body can handle the punishment in a real fight?
- How well can you control your emotions and the stress in a real fight?
- How well is your cardio in a real fight?
- How well your chin can handle a punch?
- How well can you handle the mental warfare in a real fight?
- How well can you handle the adversities such as small injuries before a real fight or your personal life problems before a real fight?

There are so many unknown factors that it's impossible to say ''he had all of the tools be a great fighter'' without testing any of these important factors in a real fight.

Last edited:
Because he was a movie star and was worshipped.

Truth is one of my favorite movie scenes ever is a scene from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood where Brad Pitt plays a stunt double and challenges Bruce Lee to spar. Bruce obliges and after doing some flashy shit Brad Pitt grabs the little man (because Bruce Lee was tiny) and throws him into a car door and fucks him up and the door up.

Obviously, he never really fought. So, you can't claim it's his fighting skills. But then many people say his thinking skills and his philosophy were above parr. Like he was the first person to think of mixing martial arts. That doesn't take a genius! Back then, there were people not just thinking of mixing them -- but actually doing it, and competing in it: sambo, for one example, among many. Where does Bruce Lee fit into the martial arts aside from movies and acting?
Try to imagine being in his role. He is an actor who performs martial arts and believes in it. Why would he fight if he was a movie star? He used his leverages to promote mma. Sherdog sure loves to diminish anyone

- Not fighting with each other?
Chuck Norris laughs, and says ''I was a professional fighter.''

- How well your body can handle the punishment in a real fight?
- How well can you control your emotions and the stress in a real fight?
- How well is your cardio in a real fight?
- How well your chin can handle a punch?
- How well can you handle the mental warfare in a real fight?
- How well can you handle the adversities such as small injuries before a real fight or your personal life problems before a real fight?

There are so many unknown factors that it's impossible to say ''he had all of the tools be a great fighter'' without testing any of these important factors in a real fight.

Ok let me rephrase - he had a great work ethic, was incredibly fit and strong for his size with exceptional speed and agility. He also seemed to have an open mind.

Back