Why is Bas Rutten never mentioned among top 10 HWs ever?

I see him mentioned in the top 10 quite a bit. But many fans dont know of him since he fought 2 decades ago

is there a place here you can see who's started the most threads?

oh, and Bas should be spoken of but he has these black marks on his record aka losses to Ken Shamrock.

Love the Rutten!!!

Nice necro. Almost a month to the day you made this thread,

Frank was 20lbs lighter and definitely lost the randleman fight

1280x720-3d3.jpg

Yeah, he really dwarfed Frank...

cccc.

And he won the fight vs Randleman, because Randleman wasn't active enough.

He was an early MMA pioneer and didn't have a long enough career to crosspaths with other really widely recognized top HW's. If he fought in PRIDE and beat Wanderlei, Fedor, Nog, Crocop, that'd be a diff story.

WTF are you talking about?

He was the best fighter in his era.

Ken beat him 2x, but Bas was still green on the ground then compared to Ken.

And Bas had a better MMA career than Ken, because Ken went to pro wrestling instead of spending his prime in MMA. Not Bas's fault.

Most of you f*ckers don't realise that Pancrase > UFC at the time and he was the longest reigning Pancrase champion.

i cant believe you just wrote that.

absolutely not.

you are making me rethink my high opinion of your posting.

Most of you f*ckers don't realise that Pancrase > UFC at the time and he was the longest reigning Pancrase champion.

there wasnt a time in Pancrase where Don Frye, Mark Coleman or Mark Kerr wouldnt have walked through that place.

and I love Frank Shamrock, criminalyl underrated fighter.

Pancrase was basically pro wrestling and came from pro wrestling.

He has top wins over: Suzuki, Maurice Smith 2x, Mezger, Frank Shamrock 2x, Funaki, Kohsaka

This is exactly why.

Praise them all you want,but top10 HW's would easily run through them.

Bas doesn't have a win against: Fedor, Cain, JDS, mir, Cro Cop, Big Nog, Werdum, Josh Barnett, Handy, Arlovski, Sylvia

Or Oleg, Coleman, Kerr, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Marco Ruas, Pedro Rizzo, Igor, Kimo

But he does have a win over Maurice Smith

How about Funaki, whom Sherdog ranked as the best fighter in the world in '96 and '97? He's a better win than several of the guys you mentioned. Bas isn't top 10 but that doesn't mean you should discredit his wins entirely.

there wasnt a time in Pancrase where Don Frye, Mark Coleman or Mark Kerr wouldnt have walked through that place.

and I love Frank Shamrock, criminalyl underrated fighter.

Coleman, the greatest of the bunch, said that Ken Shamrock humbled him, when they trained together.

I think you are severely underestimating the Pancrase greats.

Just so people know, Igor Vovchanchyn was considered the best fighter of Bas Rutten's era.

i cant argue that, and i routinely hoped for him to lose.

Well, he's certainly been one of the guys paving the way for the modern MMA metagame to develop. The question of who should be listed for the top 10 HWs ever in itself is very subjective in regards to the qualification criteria, and I personally can't look at Bas Rutten's past skillset without putting it into the proper context.

Guys like Bas literally taught themselves to efficiently fight via trial and error, mapping the way for what really works and which techniques work only in theory. Looking at what kind of a well-rounded skillset he managed to develop and how he fought all kinds of stylistic match-ups with success at that heavy of a weight class, I would say he is definitely worthy of being ranked into the top 10 all-time HWs.

It becomes a different question entirely if you start to compare Bas's prime skillset to the skillsets of current era HW's, and obviously Bas doesn't come close there.

I mean the man has won 12 consecutive fights for the lineal nr. 1 position.

He has top wins over: Suzuki, Maurice Smith 2x, Mezger, Frank Shamrock 2x, Funaki, Kohsaka and Randleman (controversial, but the rules were different).

And don't give me the competition crap because Pancrase had the best fighters in the world at the time.

Because he looks like a LHW and there's more than ten guys at HW I can think of that have accomplished more.

i cant believe you just wrote that.

absolutely not.

you are making me rethink my high opinion of your posting.

Look at the fighters Royce was beating in the UFC and the ones Bas was beating in Pancrase. No UFC HW champion under Bas's reign in Pancrase had better wins than him.

"Why is Bas Rutten never mentioned among top 10 HWs ever?"

His w/l record is padded by fighting nobodies.

Like Fedor? I believe Fedor had just 6 wins vs top 5 HW opponents. 4 of those are CC and Nog.

Someone is way too facts-oriented for this thread.

can you guess who?

He's a GOAT in the same way Rome was the GOAT world superpower (in its own time, but would be crushed today).

Back