Why is Bas Rutten never mentioned among top 10 HWs ever?

kikikhan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I mean the man has won 12 consecutive fights for the lineal nr. 1 position.

He has top wins over: Suzuki, Maurice Smith 2x, Mezger, Frank Shamrock 2x, Funaki, Kohsaka and Randleman (controversial, but the rules were different).

And don't give me the competition crap because Pancrase had the best fighters in the world at the time.

Last edited:
He was in the 90's, many mma fans weren't around for that.

I think people look at the era. Bas is a HW GOAT though.

Probably because he got subbed by Ken--twice. Also had a very controversial win over Randleman and retired without defending the belt. Many of his wins are not over quality opponents.

Bas is really a LHW. Struggled to reach 200lbs. In the contemporary culture of weight cutting he'd almost certainly be a MW!!

Back in the day he, Frank and Sakuraba were the three best fighters on earth. However, the rules of Pancrase were so restrictive compared to other MMA that it is very difficult to truly gauge how brilliant Bas was. He was the man, no doubt. I recently watched every single fight he ever had.

The UFC probably inducted Bas into the HOF recently to improve their relationship and thus prevent a possible Bas vs. Kimbo grudge match in Bellator.

Literally no way Bas comes out of retirement :icon_lol:

The UFC probably inducted Bas into the HOF recently to improve their relationship and thus prevent a possible Bas vs. Kimbo grudge match in Bellator.

Bas would kill Kimbo.

I mean the man has won 12 consecutive fights for the lineal nr. 1 position.

He has top wins over: Suzuki, Maurice Smith 2x, Mezger, Frank Shamrock 2x, Funaki, Kohsaka and Randleman (controversial).

And don't give me the competition crap because Pancrase had the best fighters in the world at the time.

Because he does not belong there....

Bas is one of the most likeable guys in mma but his resume is just outside top 10 at HW. How serious do we take Pancrease?

"Why is Bas Rutten never mentioned among top 10 HWs ever?"

His w/l record is padded by fighting nobodies.

Bas would kill Kimbo.

One of his arms has shrunk to starvation-victim level musculature and his neck is so fucked I'd be surprised if he can even move his head left or right.

Kimbo would be the favorite.

Because he had like 3 legitimate MMA fights.

Great guy though.

Bas is one of the most likeable guys in mma but his resume is just outside top 10 at HW. How serious do we take Pancrease?

Not much. It looked suspiciously pro wrestling-lite to me sometimes. Bas is pretty cool, but he only fought 2 times in the UFC. Not top 10 HW worthy in my opinion.

Probably because he got subbed by Ken--twice. Also had a very controversial win over Randleman and retired without defending the belt. Many of his wins are not over quality opponents.

That was way before Bas attained his final form.

It's like Chonan era Anderson, pre-K1 Werdum and the Demian Maia that fought Marquardt.

And are you saying Warpath Villareal isn't a quality opponent???

Back