Why I never thought Anderson wasn't that great

No way this thread was not a single moment never ever not one time never not great.

Than why didn't Chael Sonnen,Overeem become long reigning champions?
Steroids don't make you a champion, they just make you better than what you were. That sometimes is enough to make you a champion.

Then*

I must admit I picked Rich Franklin and Hendo to beat him both times.

All this time, I believed he was one of the most overated fighters of all time, especially on top of his hypocritical demeanor between what he says and does, which can be totally two different thing, one being of total respect and other being of absolute sensitive full retard a-hole.

Anderson did show the true heart of the champion in certain fights, overcoming the adversity and what not, but the main reason why I never thought much of him was the fact that

well, he just isn't that great at wrestling. When he fought Lutter and got taken down and mounted like a rag doll, there was this rumor, god knows where, where Anderson was letting him take him down to show his bjj skills or something. Did fish invent ocean to breathe through gills too or was it the other way around

I don't think Anderson is really that great at striking enough in a hypothetical skill for skill pound for pound setting where you can rank him that highly anywhere, really, other than the fact that he most often finds the wins. He was an amazing fighter, but not as good as some people made him out to be as the best of all time.

I believe Anderson himself said that he cuts from 230 and he is taller than Fedor. If he was a solid muscled 230 with his skill set, do you really think he would've beat guys like Schilt, Hunt, Hong Man Choi before tumor removal surgery which made him a living zombie, Crocop and those pure strikers? Of course not. Schilts would've front kicked Anderson's face in to the third row.

The best striker Anderson beat is Vitor probably, but a couple years back they fought, no one gave a fuck about Vitor but he somehow was making his way back to the relevance, but if I'm not mistaken, Vitor was coming off a year long lay off. Chris Weidman, who was a terrible match up for Anderson, from whom Anderson might have wanted to stay away from, if I'm also not mistaken, was also coming off from a lay off longer than a year.

Who's the second best striker Anderson beat? Rich? Hendo? Forrest? Lee? Leben? The list is astoundingly short for such an amazing striker, and for such an awesome boxer, he sure doesn't seem to have fuck all or a limited number of one punch knock out kos given how many fights he had under the belt.

Some people talk as if to make Anderson's accomplishments look greater, but the middleweight division in the past was, without a single doubt, the weakest division in the UFC that they had back then.

Yeah man, Anderson sucks

anderson-silva-front-kick-vitor-belfort1_medium.gif

anderson+silva+forrest+griffin+knockout.gif

Silva-vs-Bonnar-spinning-heel-kick.gif

He was. I think even Bas thought so

The audio isn't quite in sync with the video. But it's the full fight.

Chonan gets lit the fuck up every time Anderson decides to go after him, and often puts Ryo on his back foot. Round 1 Anderson had back mount about as long as Chonan was on top of him. There's nothing to indicate that Anderson was losing before the heel hook.

Bas mentions that he thinks Chonan is ahead on points, but that was mostly based on the fact that Anderson tended to just neutralize when he was on the bottom, rather than work to get up or set up submissions.

The audio isn't quite in sync with the video. But it's the full fight.

Chonan gets lit the fuck up every time Anderson decides to go after him, and often puts Ryo on his back foot. Round 1 Anderson had back mount about as long as Chonan was on top of him. There's nothing to indicate that Anderson was losing before the heel hook.

Bas mentions that he thinks Chonan is ahead on points, but that was mostly based on the fact that Anderson tended to just neutralize when he was on the bottom, rather than work to get up or set up submissions.

Even if you thought Anderson was ahead you've got to admit Chonan was doing surprisingly well and it was definitely competitive.

Even if you thought Anderson was ahead you've got to admit Chonan was doing surprisingly well and it was definitely competitive.

Oh I agree Chonan did much better than anyone expected him to, which is part of why people may think he was winning. It wasn't domination, but acting like he was handily losing that fight before Chonan pulled off the submission of the century is absurd.

I was never a fan of his, e.g rooted against him when he fought Vitor, Franklin, Maia. I thought he was very disrespectful at times, especially against Maia.

With that said, he is one of the greatest fighters of all time that have graced the octagon and I'm thankful for having been blessed to see him in both Pride and the UFC!

When my son is a little bit older, I will tell him about this man that for me was a pillar of mma.

1.) Obviously in a kickboxing match, Silva, a MW mma fighter would not do good against HW kickboxers.

2.) People always seems to point to the credentials of Silva's opponents to discredit his striking. To put it simply, Its one thing to be better a marginally better striker than your opponent, but when you can literally toy with #1 contenders then you are in another class entirely.

His striking technique was second to none. If you can't see why he's probably the greatest of all time then I feel sorry for you.

I like how people always makes these threads when a fighter are on his on his way down.

Than why didn't Chael Sonnen,Overeem become long reigning champions?

Well talent + steroids is the way to go.

No one said Anderson Silva didn't have talent...but he is a cheater that is a fact.

I never thought he was anything super special because he wasn't fighting high-level well rounded talent. The MW division was fractured between like 4 different orgs when he was champ.....not to mention the lhw division was full of fat mws until jones came along.

That aside....i never really cared when he fought UNTIL he said "I THOUGHT MACHIDA WON ALL 5 ROUNDS" (referring to shogun vs machida). From that point forward, I have actively rooted for him to lose every single fight he has had and a world of misfortune.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back