Why I canceled my LASIK appointment.

Got PRK on my left eye 15 years ago. Never had any problems. Also doesn’t leave any scar tissue like lasik does so I could fight again and soon

Yeah PRK is much safer. Did it 11 years ago. Also everything still good.

Well that’s some scary shit. I had no idea it could be so dangerous. I have fantastic eye sight but girlfriend wants LASIK it looks as though her and I need to do some serious due diligence to weigh the pros and cons. Into the rabbit hole I go…
Lol it’s not that dangerous. Most of what he listed are common temporary side effects; not complications. He’s also pretending that they’re hidden from the public in some nefarious manner, but they are not. They are all well known and at least for me they were all disclosed before I even began doing pre-op appointments.

I’ve known exactly one person who has a complication from PRK. I can’t remember what went wrong but she had blurred vision in one eye I believe, I can’t remember exactly what wen wrong. She had to have a second surgery on it and it was fine after that.

A complication is a different thing and skimming through the op, the TS doesn’t seem to understand that.

I had PRK done.
https://www.bcm.edu/healthcare/spec...are-services-and-procedures/laser-eye-surgery

I think its a better solution than Lasik.

It bought me 25 years of no glasses. These days I need mild readers, but I'm almost old like @therealdope so that's normal.
PRK is better. It has a much longer recovery time is why some people opt for lasik. Also some people can’t get one or the other based on what’s happening with their eyes. PRK lasts longer and your vision only changes due to natural aging and not the surgery wearing off.

All of you not interested in LASIK because of the health risks should check out ICL, its where they insert a custom lens to correct your vision. No damage to the eyes, no dry eyes, 100% reversible (in like 5 year I'll change them and get new ones with low-light vision whenever that comes). 2012 I went from -9 to better than 20/20, its like 15/20? Whichever is better not worse. Thus finally making me perfect to go along with my sherdog physique, schlong and bank account.

But I want lasers to fix everything.

violent-extremists.gif

If this is about not wearing your glasses and improving your vision. This worked for me to an extent. I’ve been told i needed glasses since I was 8. Had contacts throughout college and couldn’t see shit when I took them off. I stopped wearing them because I hated glasses and contacts. I noticed that I was not struggling to see things like I used to. Street signs when driving, and pretty far distances in nature. I went back for a check up years later when my kids were getting theirs and because it was covered. The doc told me I didn’t need glasses. I’m sure there is an explanation. But my need for glasses was because I couldn’t see the board in school. I probably just didn’t want to see the words etc. who knows. But I’d check that book out. Thanks for posting.

Great thread ts. A colleague of mine had it done and his eyes spontaneously start watering regularly. i was thinking about it but now im probably not going to do it. Too many horror stories like you said.

Every few years I check into getting my eyes done, and every few years I research into it and decide it's not for me.

I wear glasses all the time, but it's just because it's easier than taking them on and off and forgetting them somewhere. They don't bother me really except when I go snowmobiling in the winter time.

Most of the people I know that have gotten it were happy with it but ended up having to wear glasses again as they got older, so for me that was kinda the kicker.

Thanks for posting TS.

If this is about not wearing your glasses and improving your vision. This worked for me to an extent. I’ve been told i needed glasses since I was 8. Had contacts throughout college and couldn’t see shit when I took them off. I stopped wearing them because I hated glasses and contacts. I noticed that I was not struggling to see things like I used to. Street signs when driving, and pretty far distances in nature. I went back for a check up years later when my kids were getting theirs and because it was covered. The doc told me I didn’t need glasses. I’m sure there is an explanation. But my need for glasses was because I couldn’t see the board in school. I probably just didn’t want to see the words etc. who knows. But I’d check that book out. Thanks for posting.
Close to it. It's about how eyes work, how it's a muscle that can adapt, be developed or made dependent on assistance. Steve Maxwell likes that book and did a quick video on one of the exercises in it. Says it helped him.

But the book is more detailed, of course. Some stuff is a bit fruity, self help, borderline-quackery sounding, but that's what you need to get published these days. Not that you shouldn't be skeptical of things, but this is worth a shot.

Last edited:
I had LASIK and while at first it was a decent upgrade my vision quickly regressed back to where it was. Then I got LASIK again and the results were amazing, but then it regressed again. I haven't had any negative long term side effects though, shit just didn't last long for me either time

How old were you when you had your procedure done? Had your eyes stabilized by then? I am assuming you are near-sighted...

I know, it’s called presbyopia.

Nevertheless, it still begs the question as to why you would want to carve a permanent lens into your cornea and assume all of the physiological risks of complications if your eyes are inevitably going to change shape as you age.

It's about enjoying a period of your life without having to use glasses or contacts.

My eyes had stabilized by my early 20's. I was a great candidate for LASIK. My brother had it done and loved it. His eyes did regress a bit over the years and he had a 2nd free procedure done to correct it.

For me I would have been able to enjoy a solid 20 years without glasses or contacts. Is it worth it? Probably. It really depends on whether you like how you look with eyeglasses and/or mind using contacts.

Assuming my surgery would have been successful i would have liked to have had it done. Unfortunately I am in my 40's now and presbyopia kicked in. I am in a shitty situation where I can't see far without my glasses or contacts and its uncomfortable (slightly blurry) if I try to read up close with them. This is a recent development (as in the last 2 years or so). So I have to take off my glasses to quickly read something up close. It is incredibly annoying but i am getting used to it. I generally do not use contacts anymore because of this problem. They do have new double vision contacts so on my next trip to the eye doctor I am going to test them out.

Everyone will generally get some form of presbyopia. It's more or less unavoidable. The question is how bad will it be.

For you it would be how young are you and do you want to be free of eyeglasses/contacts for a solid period of time before your 40's. Being aware of the risks is great but there will always be risks with surgery. The majority of patients are extremely happy with their LASIK surgery. I honestly do not know anyone who regrets it. Not trying to push you towards it but there is enough literature to say it's worth it depending on your age, whether your eyes have stabilized, what you do (occupation or hobby where glasses are an annoyance), etc...

I can't get lasik because I have chronic dry eye...prevents me from wearing contacts too.

Id get lasik tomorrow if I could....can't stand dealing with glasses

Btw WHO estimates by 2050 50 percent of population on earth will have myopia

Tech really fucking us in this regard

Had LASIK and there are some holes in your logic

first off , complications, they are generally minor and can be resolved. Too much cheese gives me complications. My cousin had complications and the other was flat out rejected. Side effects can last a while, months even, no worse than side effects of contact lenses.

secondly, trust issues on cornea thickness. There has been millions who have it done, I know a ton, haven’t seen a single person lost vision. This procedure is rather mature, like boob jobs.

third, this is an elective surgery, their marketing is profitable, not grossly. I got serious discounts on my eyes (haggling), you don’t have to get it, unlike many other racketeering practices like healthcare in general.

Lastly, you have two eyes and it’s done one at a time, there is room for error. I know women that have died giving birth, it’s about perspective.

the eye can be a scary place to get surgery, but having been through way worse medical trauma to the eye for my daughter and tens of thousands in costs, if eye surgeons can handle that, lasik should be cake.

Can confirm double vision (diplopia) is definitely a thing for me post-LASIK, even with glasses on, but it only occurs at night or in low light environments. It makes night driving pretty uncomfortable, but it's not a total deal breaker. I can't say I regret undergoing the procedure.

EDIT: I only risked it because my cornea was VERY, VERY thick, according to multiple doctors. So there was a huge safety margin in my case.

I feel the same way. I'm in the four eyes crew for life; I can't be assed with contact lenses either. Yes, I wear my glasses when I go out for dinner dates or the few occasions I go clubbing. IDGAF if it looks dorky, my wife finds me attractive in them. I take them off to go to the gym or to box, but my vision is fine up to about two or three meters anyway.

After reading this thread I have decided to take up metaphorical arms against LASIK and atleast oppose this type of surgery in theory.

I would also like to add I always knew something was sketchy about lasering peoples eyeballs but this just confirms it wholesale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paula676
Back