Why Holm Looked So Good Against Rousey and So Bad Against Everyone Else

1. Holm beat Rousey who had succesfully defended her title 5 (really 7) times and totally dominated the fight.
2. Holm eked out a split decision against Pennington who had lost to the likes of Leslie Smith and Andrade.
3. Then Holm loses to Tate and Shevchenko.
4. Holm started MMA in 2011 but really picked up steam in 2013 just after the UFC accepted women and it became clear that there would be much more money in MMA than in boxing.
5. Holm trained for 2 1/2 years specifically to fight Rousey. She had a "Ronda Rousey" clause in her contract.
6. To fight Rousey, Holm had to - 1. avoid clinch takedowns, 2. avoid armbars, and 3. maintain distance and make Rousey pay a heavy price for trying to close distance.
7. She did not train to 1. defend shoot takedowns, 2. pursue aggressive striking, 3. fight southpaws, or 4. fight against Muay Thai pros.
8. Against Tate and Shevchenko she had about 2 months to prepare as compared to 2 1/2 years to prepare for Rousey.
9. It didn't help that her team was probably distracted by the Jon Jones mess just before the fight.

Holm can sprawl and defend shoots just fine. She's not perfect but she stuffed a lot of Tate's shoots.

But I agree Holly is a one-trick pony and it was painfully obvious in the Tate fight that she really doesn't have many tools in her box to fight with, and it's all but confirmed now.

If Ronda could shoot TDs from the outside like Tate it would have made Holly's gameplan much more difficult. It's amazing how much simple skillsets can negate others.
Ronda has zero wrestling, and she isn't going to learn anytime soon.

She is machida without the karate.

Doesnt come forward, when she does she is nowhere near as comfortable as countering off the back foot.

If her opponent sits back, so will she.

WTF

That's a fucking insult to Machida.

Machida knows how to get aggressive, can put people away with his punches, has takedowns and an amazing ground game. How the hell One Trick Pony Holly even remotely comparable to that?

Machida's karate is even 100x better than Holly's shitty boxing.

I can agree with this. Ronda's knees are fucked up from judo though. I don't know if this has something to do with not utilizing wrestling style take downs.
I would imagine it makes it very difficult to change levels and shoot if her knees are as bad as rumored.

Um, look at the physique difference between her Rousey fight and her Misha fight.

Holm's physique looked just fine last night. Its her skills, or lack thereof, that is the problem.

1. Holm beat Rousey who had succesfully defended her title 5 (really 7) times and totally dominated the fight.
2. Holm eked out a split decision against Pennington who had lost to the likes of Leslie Smith and Andrade.
3. Then Holm loses to Tate and Shevchenko.
4. Holm started MMA in 2011 but really picked up steam in 2013 just after the UFC accepted women and it became clear that there would be much more money in MMA than in boxing.
5. Holm trained for 2 1/2 years specifically to fight Rousey. She had a "Ronda Rousey" clause in her contract.
6. To fight Rousey, Holm had to - 1. avoid clinch takedowns, 2. avoid armbars, and 3. maintain distance and make Rousey pay a heavy price for trying to close distance.
7. She did not train to 1. defend shoot takedowns, 2. pursue aggressive striking, 3. fight southpaws, or 4. fight against Muay Thai pros.
8. Against Tate and Shevchenko she had about 2 months to prepare as compared to 2 1/2 years to prepare for Rousey.
9. It didn't help that her team was probably distracted by the Jon Jones mess just before the fight.

Not sure about all this but more like he fought the fight of her life and caught Rousey early in the fight with a nice shot to the face and knocked her silly.

WTF

That's a fucking insult to Machida.

Machida knows how to get aggressive, can put people away with his punches, has takedowns and an amazing ground game. How the hell One Trick Pony Holly even remotely comparable to that?

Machida's karate is even 100x better than Holly's shitty boxing.

Way to nitpick.

Machida is not nearly as comfortable on the lead as he is on the counter.

Machida has boring fights left and right because people know this.

He may be better at leading but he there is a big difference in his counter ability and leading ability.

I never said Hollys kickboxing was anywhere as good as Machida's karate.

I dont think you know what one trick pony means. If one trick pony is Holly than its also Ronda, Lawler, JDS, and plenty more are one demensional.

I agree with some of your answers.

I think you exaggerate how little she trained other aspects of fighting, saying "she didn't train against southpaws, etc," but point taken.

A simple way to look at it is this; Holm is a counter fighter, Rousey is the opposite. Shevchenko is also a counterfighter.

I will add that she looked fairly dam good against Marion Reneau. She had Reneau hurt a couple times and was somewhat near finishing her at the end.

Ronda has zero wrestling, and she isn't going to learn anytime soon.
Ronda has plenty of wrestling. Let me tell you a super secret: wrestling is not about going for the legs all the time. It is about taking down and controlling. And those takedowns include hipthrows and trips. How someone who ragdolled Tate has zero wrestling? Every TD Ronda does is part of wrestling. What you are trying to say is that her style is not traditional wrestling.

Whats with the Ronda fans coming out of the wood works to bash Holly now, lol...

There is no reason to bash Holly,but there is reason to make Rousey haters eat crow,for alot of what they believed did not come to pass. Before Rousey lost the title,the division was a wasteland of broken arms,and now it seems like most of the other women struggle to win a few fights in a row,wether theyve got the belt or not.

Ahhh.. it just means WMMA@BW I'd growing and honda is classed lower than the current top 3-4 fighters excluding Miesha (Not sure if Miesha can beat Honda now but we will see). Honda's had her time. Life and the world move forward

I agree with some of your answers.

I think you exaggerate how little she trained other aspects of fighting, saying "she didn't train against southpaws, etc," but point taken.

A simple way to look at it is this; Holm is a counter fighter, Rousey is the opposite. Shevchenko is also a counterfighter.

I will add that she looked fairly dam good against Marion Reneau. She had Reneau hurt a couple times and was somewhat near finishing her at the end.

I agree that she looked very good against Reneau. I think she was very hesitant in the Tate fight because of takedown phobia (which turned out to be justified) and became hesitant against Shevchenko after getting smashed in the face with right hooks. Sort of the opposite of Ronda who just kept running into straight lefts. Holly didn't seem to figure out any way to adjust to Shevchenko as the fight continued. I would love to hear what Jackson and Winkeljohn were saying in the corner at breaks.

Way to nitpick.

Machida is not nearly as comfortable on the lead as he is on the counter.

Machida has boring fights left and right because people know this.

He may be better at leading but he there is a big difference in his counter ability and leading ability.

I never said Hollys kickboxing was anywhere as good as Machida's karate.

I dont think you know what one trick pony means. If one trick pony is Holly than its also Ronda, Lawler, JDS, and plenty more are one demensional.

It's not nitpicking. It's calling out a blatantly wrong statement.

Holm and Machida are both counter fighters, that's as far as the comparison can go.

You said:

Doesnt come forward, when she does she is nowhere near as comfortable as countering off the back foot.

Equating Machida with not coming forward and not being comfortable doing so is plain silly.
Machida has proven that he DOES come forward, and when he does he KTFO people out. Ask Rashad. Since losing the title Machida proved that he can and does go forward and gets aggressive and finishes people doing so. When people don't agressive with him Machida has learned to take the fight to his opponents.

Ahhh.. it just means WMMA@BW Is growing

I dont see that.

Rousey ran right at holly which gave all the more weight to the shots holly landed as well as the style clash and rousey's lack of ability to adapt to this situation,and had no footwork to speak of.

Holly lost her title because she just isnt good on the ground.

Miesha got blasted and panicked

how has it grown since rousey's demise?

Because Rousey had a terrible strategy...

It's not nitpicking. It's calling out a blatantly wrong statement.

Holm and Machida are both counter fighters, that's as far as the comparison can go.

You said:

Equating Machida with not coming forward and not being comfortable doing so is plain silly.
Machida has proven that he DOES come forward, and when he does he KTFO people out. Ask Rashad. Since losing the title Machida proved that he can and does go forward and gets aggressive and finishes people doing so. When people don't agressive with him Machida has learned to take the fight to his opponents.

Indeed. Machida lulls his opponents into a false sense of security,and then when someone throws a frustrated half assed punch they allready EXPECT him to dodge away from,he will explode with violence.

Back