Why Holm Looked So Good Against Rousey and So Bad Against Everyone Else

Double H is a counter fighter and won because RR couldn't or wouldn't stop charging forward while windmilling punches with terrible technique.

She is machida without the karate.

Doesnt come forward, when she does she is nowhere near as comfortable as countering off the back foot.

If her opponent sits back, so will she.

I agree with all of this but also want to add Ronda wasn't mentally focused leading up to the fight and Holly didn't fight the best version of Ronda.
It's not all Ronda. Edmund is dogshit. He offered no advice to a game plan that was rendered completely ineffective. I don't know who's call it is not to bring a more diverse takedown toolbox to the practice room but that's something that is sorely lacking in Ronda's game. I don't think she'll return to the same success unless she either ditches Edmond or completely changed camps and learns some wrestling

The game plan for Ronda was easy, and she had the skills to execute it.

Her other fights have been far more difficult for someone coming into the sport as a pure striker.

It really is that simple.

1. Holm beat Rousey who had succesfully defended her title 5 (really 7) times and totally dominated the fight.
2. Holm eked out a split decision against Pennington who had lost to the likes of Leslie Smith and Andrade.
3. Then Holm loses to Tate and Shevchenko.
4. Holm started MMA in 2011 but really picked up steam in 2013 just after the UFC accepted women and it became clear that there would be much more money in MMA than in boxing.
5. Holm trained for 2 1/2 years specifically to fight Rousey. She had a "Ronda Rousey" clause in her contract.
6. To fight Rousey, Holm had to - 1. avoid clinch takedowns, 2. avoid armbars, and 3. maintain distance and make Rousey pay a heavy price for trying to close distance.
7. She did not train to 1. defend shoot takedowns, 2. pursue aggressive striking, 3. fight southpaws, or 4. fight against Muay Thai pros.
8. Against Tate and Shevchenko she had about 2 months to prepare as compared to 2 1/2 years to prepare for Rousey.
9. It didn't help that her team was probably distracted by the Jon Jones mess just before the fight.

Ronda ran right into punches with her face moving in straight lines thinking she could outbox a boxer before it was to late and she was out on her feet

It's because Ronda is overrated and the rest of these girls caught up to her.

I'm not bashing right now that's just how I see it. Ronda is the female equivalent of Mark Kerr.

There's nothing wrong with that either. She grew an entire division and put women's mma on the map. While she stayed the same and got involved in movies though, the rest of these girls learned to strike, avoid takedowns and improved their ground games.

Ronda in her next fight will still come straight ahead with one punch at a time and then look to clinch and look for judo throws. These girls now know not to bull rush her, to pick her apart from the outside, and if they do get taken down I'm confident that most of them can survive on their backs.

Props to ronda for growing the sport, but the blueprint is out there on how to beat her.

Ronda would of beaten meisha again and id pick her over everyone still

Because only Ronda is dumb enough to charge her

Ronda would of beaten meisha again and id pick her over everyone still

I'd almost pick Miesha to heat her now. In their 2nd fight miesha was getting the better of the stand up. She has improved since then despite what happened in the Nunez fight. Has ronda improved or gotten worse? She hasn't been training for nearly a year, she is out of shape and she has had her mind focused on improving as an actor.

These other girls are in the gym everyday improving their technique, getting in better shape and they are hungry for success.

Ronda has millions in the bank and a blueprint out there on how to beat her now. Her judo keeps her a threat to anyone, but Holly showed how to deal with that as well. I legitimately think if Ronda comes back right now that she is MAYBE the #5 girl in the division. I'd actually like to be wrong about this because even though I don't like her, I do think the sport is more exciting with her fighting for titles.

I'd almost pick Miesha to heat her now. In their 2nd fight miesha was getting the better of the stand up. She has improved since then despite what happened in the Nunez fight. Has ronda improved or gotten worse? She hasn't been training for nearly a year, she is out of shape and she has had her mind focused on improving as an actor.

These other girls are in the gym everyday improving their technique, getting in better shape and they are hungry for success.

Ronda has millions in the bank and a blueprint out there on how to beat her now. Her judo keeps her a threat to anyone, but Holly showed how to deal with that as well. I legitimately think if Ronda comes back right now that she is MAYBE the #5 girl in the division. I'd actually like to be wrong about this because even though I don't like her, I do think the sport is more exciting with her fighting for titles.

There is maybe 1-2 people in the divison with the distance management to avoid the clinch.And meisha wasnt gettng the better of the standup she really wasnt.She was just getting thrashed less there.Rondas grappling is still head and shoulders above the rest of the divison as well

There is maybe 1-2 people in the divison with the distance management to avoid the clinch.And meisha wasnt gettng the better of the standup she really wasnt.She was just getting thrashed less there.Rondas grappling is still head and shoulders above the rest of the divison as well

Maybe.

She didn't out grapple Holm. She put Ronda down when Ronda tried that throw on her.

And plenty of women are better grappler than Holm.

On the ground I'll say Ronda is the best. But part of grappling is getting the takedown and Ronda is even a bit one dimensional there. She has judo throws but no wrestling.

It's not all Ronda. Edmund is dogshit. He offered no advice to a game plan that was rendered completely ineffective. I don't know who's call it is not to bring a more diverse takedown toolbox to the practice room but that's something that is sorely lacking in Ronda's game. I don't think she'll return to the same success unless she either ditches Edmond or completely changed camps and learns some wrestling

I can agree with this. Ronda's knees are fucked up from judo though. I don't know if this has something to do with not utilizing wrestling style take downs.

I agree. She should consider Kings MMA down in Huntington Beach. She really has to add more tools to the arsenal and also develop better defensive measures against other fighters - the division is evolving and if she stands still, she is in trouble.

Mate r u fishing for "usada" answer?

Nah. Holly's been tested a bunch of times and she is not the kind of person to cheat. I do think that her camp was fucked up by the drama over Jon Jones which happened to explode just as she was in the last few weeks before this fight. I sense that she is kind of a friend of Jones and Jackson/Wink probably were scurrying around figuring out what the fuck to do. These things can break concentration and screw up your preparation.

1. Holm beat Rousey who had succesfully defended her title 5 (really 7) times and totally dominated the fight.
2. Holm eked out a split decision against Pennington who had lost to the likes of Leslie Smith and Andrade.
3. Then Holm loses to Tate and Shevchenko.
4. Holm started MMA in 2011 but really picked up steam in 2013 just after the UFC accepted women and it became clear that there would be much more money in MMA than in boxing.
5. Holm trained for 2 1/2 years specifically to fight Rousey. She had a "Ronda Rousey" clause in her contract.
6. To fight Rousey, Holm had to - 1. avoid clinch takedowns, 2. avoid armbars, and 3. maintain distance and make Rousey pay a heavy price for trying to close distance.
7. She did not train to 1. defend shoot takedowns, 2. pursue aggressive striking, 3. fight southpaws, or 4. fight against Muay Thai pros.
8. Against Tate and Shevchenko she had about 2 months to prepare as compared to 2 1/2 years to prepare for Rousey.
9. It didn't help that her team was probably distracted by the Jon Jones mess just before the fight.
Um, look at the physique difference between her Rousey fight and her Misha fight.

Um, look at the physique difference between her Rousey fight and her Misha fight.

I didn't see a big difference and they had testing back then, didn't they? Her problem with Shevchenko wasn't a lack of physical strength - it was timing, strategy, reflexes, and - perhaps - insufficient "urgency".

only reason Ronda lost was because she was not taking Holly very seriously.
she was not in good shape in that fight and paid for it.

To be fair, Schevchenko or whatever her name is would destroy Ronda too, so using her to compare Holly against Ronda doesn't lead me to your conclusion at all.

I would even pick Tate to beat Ronda at this point in time.

I thought we had established long ago that Ronda was the most overrated fighter in history. Given that, it's really not surprising that Holly looked great against her and not so great against the new top tier.

Holm is the first real fighter Ronda fought

She's more well rounded

Ronda better hope she retires soon as holm will be the champ for a long time

All lies sherdog told me.

Back