• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why don't we see 6'9" freaks like Fury dominate MMA?

Bob sapp nearly killed prime big Nog in mma with no training and also beat the GOAT kick boxer until then Hoost in kickboxing proving= if the money is there, a super freak who puts his time in the gym will likely dominate !
Bob Sapp was 100 lbs bigger than Nog and Hoost, and still never had a ranked win in MMA.

If Bob Sapp ever cleaned up enough to shrink within 50 lbs of his opponent, he wouldn't win a minute of any fight against a ranked guy.

TS must have missed the early days. And RIP to Varelens. I didn't realize he passed away, though I think I remember him being hospitalized at some point.
View attachment 931596
Varleans lost to Igor vov who was a full foot shorter

Not true

Height is a huge advantage in both wrestling and BJJ if you know how to use it right, especially in MMA.

Look at Jones for example, his leverage advantage works wonders when defending takedowns or in the clinch.
I can't speak for BJJ, but stalky types dominate Wrestling. You don't see a lot of guys like Jones or Anderson Silva in International amateur wrestling. You see a lot more guys built like DC, Johnny Hedricks, or Mat Hughes. Tall lanky wrestlers are sometimes great at stuff like leg rides or ankle picks, but they're generally easier to take down and are at a strength disadvantage in pure wrestling.

Not true

Height is a huge advantage in both wrestling and BJJ if you know how to use it right, especially in MMA.

Look at Jones for example, his leverage advantage works wonders when defending takedowns or in the clinch.
Struve, Bigfoot and Travis Browne all sucked

Is it? Please do tell about the 6 foot 9 wrestlers with awesome TDD
petriashviligeno.jpg

This dude is 6’6 and is pretty dominant

I have no idea why he wouldn’t be able to transition to mma, maybe mma is full of shitty athletes
Maybe some wrestlers don't wanna get punched

Maybe some wrestlers don't wanna get punched
Maybe, or they don’t make as much in mma. If the ufc got its shit together real athletes might crossover.

Fury has proven that being that tall/athletic + skills will make you virtually unbeatable.

Yet Ngannou, the current champ, is only 6'4" and the only elite HWs above 6'6" are Volkov and Sylvia who are not even close to Fury's level.

If Fury trained MMA full-time, it's hard to see any of these MMA midgets beating him. Imagine someone like DC trying to punch Fury's face lol, it'd look like a dad vs his 10 year old son
DC would take him down and pound him out inside the 1st, height is only an advantage when comes paired with great skills, in MMA is not always a huge benefit unless they are good with it like Jones or Adesanya, then again, Adesanya's toughest fight came from his shortest opponent.

Because of the stupid weight limit they have on the heavyweight division. It’s a fucking joke. A lot of guys that big would have to cut weight to fight at heavyweight for peanuts, or they could go over to boxing or professional wrestling and make a ton more money without starving themselves to do it.

Semy Shilt did ok for a kick boxer . Had he gotten into MMA earlier he could have done well. Tyson in boxing beat tall guys with speed power, compact core. DC only JBJ.

Even in boxing(with generations of tradition) 6 ft 9 was rare until this generation. There was a time Usyk would have been a standard HW(or even huge) HW just like in MMA. Instead we got people questioning whether or not he's too small at HW. Rocky Marciano would be treated like MM today. No Usyk is a typical size HW, Fury and Wilder are abnormally huge people like Primo Carnera.

Well I think he's a boxer so... because he's doing boxing?

Because they make money boxing or play real sports

You’re a bum, and you don’t know shit about boxing.
Tbh it can easily be considered that. Before Fury became who he is the k bros destroyed everyone and people said the division was weak. Idk if it’s the weakest ever myself but it’s not the strongest it’s ever been that’s for damn sure

Maybe, or they don’t make as much in mma. If the ufc got its shit together real athletes might crossover.
They dont make as much in MMA as compared to what? Wrestling? K.

Fury has proven that being that tall/athletic + skills will make you virtually unbeatable.

Yet Ngannou, the current champ, is only 6'4" and the only elite HWs above 6'6" are Volkov and Sylvia who are not even close to Fury's level.

If Fury trained MMA full-time, it's hard to see any of these MMA midgets beating him. Imagine someone like DC trying to punch Fury's face lol, it'd look like a dad vs his 10 year old son

If fury trained full time MMA he would have made a ton less money.

People grossly underestimate the effectiveness of leg attacks.

They dont make as much in MMA as compared to what? Wrestling? K.

wresting seminars, sponsorships, coaching, wrestling schools, just being an Olympian alone gets you a ton of clinics every year lol

Back