Why don't MMA gyms offer wrestling classes?

dabears82

White Belt
Reaction score
Considering how well amateur wrestling has been applied to MMA, I'm surprised I don't see any kickboxing or BJJ gyms offering classes. There are countless BJJ classes to be found in any metro area, but I don't think I've ever seen wrestling taught at any kind of martial arts gym. Why is that?

my mma gym offers wrestling classes

i think takedowns applies more to mma than giving up your back refusing to be pinned does. just my opinion

I think part of it might be wrestling doesn't translate as well into a recreational activity. If you wrestle, you probably compete. BJJ you can do twice a week, and not have to be in competition shape to do. Start working in a S&C routine needed for competitive wrestling, and doing takedowns daily and you'll scare off a lot of people.

Competition team would benefit, but competition teams don't keep the bills paid, casual members do. And casual members are going to lean towards kicking the pads or rolling from the knees.

Considering how well amateur wrestling has been applied to MMA, I'm surprised I don't see any kickboxing or BJJ gyms offering classes. There are countless BJJ classes to be found in any metro area, but I don't think I've ever seen wrestling taught at any kind of martial arts gym. Why is that?

go to a wrestling gym that offers other mma then

Any serious MMA gyms should have a wrestling class.

But why would a kickboxing or BJJ gyms should offer wrestling?

For one it is hard to find good coaches to teach at a mma gym, most are coaching at a school. We have a wrestling class at our gym and we are on the third coach, mostly because the other two had commitments to their high school team and regular job.

Any serious MMA gyms should have a wrestling class.

But why would a kickboxing or BJJ gyms should offer wrestling?

kickboxing, yeah, I don't know.

but bjj, because being a complete grappler includes being good at takedowns. that means some judo or wrestling

....but preferably both.

imo at least.

because being a complete grappler includes being good at takedowns.

imo at least.

But if you have a kickboxing or BJJ academy, you do hae to offer wrestling.

I think TS is confusing MMA gyms with BJJ gyms!

But if you have a kickboxing or BJJ academy, you do hae to offer wrestling.

I think TS is confusing MMA gyms with BJJ gyms!

yeah I agree with you about the kickboxing gyms. and definitely, MMA gyms should offer some form of takedown instruction. even most bjj places I've been to offer some judo and my current offers a bit of wrestling.

My Gym a 2 world class wrestler biiiitchhhhhhhhh!

yeah I agree with you about the kickboxing gyms. and definitely, MMA gyms should offer some form of takedown instruction. even most bjj places I've been to offer some judo and my current offers a bit of wrestling.

you mean the BJJ instructor is willing to part with some of his cash to pay a Judo and wrestling coaches...I am impressed!

you mean the BJJ instructor is willing to part with some of his cash to pay a Judo and wrestling coaches...I am impressed!

I was impressed as well, but it only reinforced my perception of Sergio Silva as a class act and his gym Open Door in Alameda as a great place if you are near the East Bay.

About Sergio Silva

shameless plug, but they are only charging 85 bucks a month, and if you live in the bay area you know that's a steal.

he's trained with Gracie Barra and Ralph Gracies (I trained there too a while ago), and his students place at the US Open, Pan Am games, and if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) but he has a world title himself.

The wrestling coach is a Div 1 wrestler, I don't know from where, but I've competed against enough of them to know that this guy felt like one when we rolled. Silva definitely subscribes to and instills in his students the importance of takedowns in BJJ, no gi/sub wrestling, or any kind of grappling.

im at 10th p in sf now, but it was a great place to train while I lived in the east bay

Last edited:
One of the reasons I'm curious about this is because I have a wrestling background, but I'm not really sure how to incorporate into the boxing/kickboxing classes I'm taking right now. I mean, I remember how to double leg, etc, but there aren't really any classes where I can work on blending kickboxing and wrestling together. I don't get this, because a kickboxing/wrestling mix is probably the most dominant combo in MMA today. I know Randy Couture wrote a book on the subject, but I figured someone would be teaching this in MMA gyms. Otherwise, you're just winging it and throwing in a double leg when it seems like a good idea.

One of the reasons I'm curious about this is because I have a wrestling background, but I'm not really sure how to incorporate into the boxing/kickboxing classes I'm taking right now. I mean, I remember how to double leg, etc, but there aren't really any classes where I can work on blending kickboxing and wrestling together. I don't get this, because a kickboxing/wrestling mix is probably the most dominant combo in MMA today. I know Randy Couture wrote a book on the subject, but I figured someone would be teaching this in MMA gyms. Otherwise, you're just winging it and throwing in a double leg when it seems like a good idea.

Do you have any MMA clubs that do not offer wrestling classes in your area?

dude, that's like walking into a bjj gym and wondering why they don't offer MT because just look at Anderson Silva after all. see where I'm going with this? :icon_neut

if it's a MMA gym you should expect it. in a boxing or kb gym, it's just a WTF question. otherwise if it's BJJ it would be nice if they have it but don't expect there to be a dedicated takedown class there.

Do you have any MMA clubs that do not offer wrestling classes in your area?

so what do you think about having some form of dedicated takedown instruction and sparring in a bjj /nogi grappling gym?

so what do you think about having some form of dedicated takedown instruction and sparring in a bjj /nogi grappling gym?

bump for lechien.

edit for OP: maybe more people would want to train it recreationally if we offered belts.....:icon_chee

Back