Why don't MMA gyms offer wrestling classes?

so what do you think about having some form of dedicated takedown instruction and sparring in a bjj /nogi grappling gym?

I thought TS could check out some MMA classes that offered wrestling classes.

Or at least he could offer his services if they did not offer wrestling.

I thought TS wanted learn how to use his wrestling skills with striking = MMA.

In my experience, almost all MMA gyms have a wrestling/takedowns class. Obviously they're not going to teach sport wrestling, with the points system and referee's position, but they tend to have wrestling classes.

so what do you think about having some form of dedicated takedown instruction and sparring in a bjj /nogi grappling gym?

I do not want to generalise because everyone gonna chime in and say that their school do that or do this etc...

But one day, I will have my own club and I will pay a striking coach and a stand up grappling coach to take a weekly class each.

If I cannot afford to pay them, they can teach one class per week and charge directly to the students.

The best option would be let a judo BB and a wrestling guy just train BJJ for free while they teach a free class per fortnight.

Most of them in my area offer either judo or wrestling. Really uncommon to find one that doesn't.

I know that the Relson Gracie Jui Jitsu academy of Ohio has a wrestling class. My high school wrestling coach teaches it. I personally believe that teaching pure wrestling is a little bit of a waste of time for a MMA. It takes years to become a really well rounded and technically sound pure. Unless you have already done it, you can learn the most common techniques in MMA through other martial arts. The basics of MMA wrestling (at least once on the ground) favor Jui Jitsu. Pure wrestling is something that is easily adaptable, and can translate into almost anything well. But I think if you are going to pick up a grappling style for MMA, it should be BJJ.

I think part of it might be wrestling doesn't translate as well into a recreational activity. If you wrestle, you probably compete. BJJ you can do twice a week, and not have to be in competition shape to do. Start working in a S&C routine needed for competitive wrestling, and doing takedowns daily and you'll scare off a lot of people.

Competition team would benefit, but competition teams don't keep the bills paid, casual members do. And casual members are going to lean towards kicking the pads or rolling from the knees.

I don't know that people are scared of starting standing, and in fact more BJJ clubs should do this. Even people with good takedowns, if they're drilled in isolation, won't have a good feel for the transition between standing and ground; IMO this is one of the most important parts of competition.

Our BJJ coach is also the MMA coach and every class he incorporates takedowns and takedown defense at the beginning of class.

After about 10-15 minutes, we move on to BJJ and roll for the rest of class.
Sounds like you need a more MMA oriented gym TS.

fixed. :icon_chee

While I would love to agree with you, being from a wrestling background, in the early stages of learning, BJJ can teach you everything wrestling can. Now I do believe that in the upper echelons of both groups wrestling would dominate if taught decent decent sub defense. However if picking up one or the other specifically to START mma, I would go with BJJ.

on fightworks podcast they had dave camarillo on and he said that wrestling is the most important grappling art.

he also says that bjj is incorporating more wrestling into bjj.

but all bjj/mma schools should have wrestling classes and there is more to wrestling that TD/TDD, like getting on top and top control.

as far as paying for a wrestling coach, how many bjj schools have students who wrestled in HS or college that may be able to work out getting free tuition and maybe some cheap pay?

in the early stages of learning, BJJ can teach you everything wrestling can.

no... fucking.... way.

if picking up one or the other specifically to START mma, I would go with BJJ.

nah. as a former wrestler, current judoka/bjj player..... I'd pick wrestling.

on fightworks podcast they had dave camarillo on and he said that wrestling is the most important grappling art.

yup. I'm going to have to side with dave on this one.

no... fucking.... way.

nah. as a former wrestler, current judoka/bjj player..... I'd pick wrestling.

So you're telling me that when you first started wrestling you didn't learn the basics, (double leg, single leg, sprawl) all of which I see in BJJ. Then you have the ground game of wrestling which is some what counter productive in mma.

So you're telling me that when you first started wrestling you didn't learn the basics, (double leg, single leg, sprawl) all of which I see in BJJ.

NO. because I also learned a high C, low single, roman tie, russian 2on1, head positioning, hand fighting, multiple set ups, chaining attacks, grambies, sit outs, leg vines, crab rides, etc etc etc.

learning a few simple takedowns in bjj class is NOT the same as learning wrestling.

Then you have the ground game of wrestling which is some what counter productive in mma.

like staying tight, controlling an opponent, and knowing how to instinctively scramble for top... all that stuff that is just useless in mma :icon_neut

where did you wrestle bro? your teammates are going to want to give you a wedgie when they find out how little you think of your own sport.

Last edited:
It should not be BJJ vs Wrestling or Wrestling vs BJJ. A well rounded grappler should ALWAYS mix the two. I mix in a lot of wrestling in my BJJ game also and it's not only the takedown aspect. My partners always note how I usually stay pretty tight and feel heavy on top. For me, it is instinctual; something I learned in Wrestling.

At btt in san antonio we used to have a wrestling specific class in liu of no gi once a week. Ultimately it worked out better to just include it with the nogi classes.

NO. because I also learned a high C, low single, roman tie, russian 2on1, head positioning, hand fighting, multiple set ups, chaining attacks, grambies, sit outs, leg vines, crab rides, etc etc etc.

learning a few simple takedowns in bjj class is NOT the same as learning wrestling.

like staying tight, controlling an opponent, and knowing how to instinctively scramble for top... all that stuff that is just useless in mma :icon_neut

I am not saying that BJJ is better, I am saying that the grappeling you see in mma is vastly different from wrestling. Before I started working on BJJ, I had a fight where I took the guy down and I held him there the way a wrestler would. I was in side control and kept chest pressure. Needless to say I was quickly pulled back into his guard before delivering any damage. By the way, my initial statement was that beginner wrestlings takedowns and scrambling are not much better than BJJ's. Its advanced wrestling where you see vast diferences in the techniques.

Oh and to the guy who said that my team would give me a wedgie, none of them were good enough. I often butt scooted towards them and still they could not beat me... My coaches on the other hand.......

Oh and to the guy who said that my team would give me a wedgie, none of them were good enough. I often butt scooted towards them and still they could not beat me...

Ohio is one of the top three wrestling states in the country,

many people would say they are second only to PA.....

............... and you were beating all the wrestlers in your school by butt scooting.

:rolleyes:

Back