Why does Italy keep picking up refugees?

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
http://www.spiegel.de/international...crisis-worsens-in-mediterranean-a-964304.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...1-italy-immigration-crisis-human-trafficking/

Those are old articles but they are still rescuing them.

Basically, the navy finds them floating out there because obviously they are waiting to get picked up. Navy brings them to the mainland, and sets them up with some housing. There is much anger from locals who feel gubment is taking better care of refugees. They are having their own issues with the economy, political corruption. How they expect to pay for their care?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPipuzDqPpM

[YT]mPipuzDqPpM[/YT]

I was suprised that the traffickers now just need to get a floating thing a few miles from the Libyan coast, and the European task force will rescue the hapless people on board. It's such an odd situation.

I was suprised that the traffickers now just need to get a floating thing a few miles from the Libyan coast, and the European task force will rescue the hapless people on board. It's such an odd situation.

this is a callous thing to say, but the Euros may just have to leave the refugees out there as fish food if they ever want this to stop.

Why do they keep interveneing to prevent sometimes hundreds of people from drowning or dying of exposure?

It's clearly because they are evil one-world government types bent on destroying European culture. That's obviously the answer.

this is a callous thing to say, but the Euros may just have to leave the refugees out there as fish food if they ever want this to stop.

The boats will come more and more often until they turn them around like Australia now does.

I don't think Italy cares as much since many of them are passing though (hoping to end up on the dole in the UK)

Should you just let people die? If you can save lives, you do it. All they want is a better life, can you blame them? Would you want your kids to grow up in Syria? Letting people drown is inhumane, it doesn't matter that their skin colour is different from yours.

Personally, I'd like the EU to be more aggressive - establish a coast guard along the Libyan shore, force the ships to land and then destroy them.

Should you just let people die? If you can save lives, you do it. All they want is a better life, can you blame them? Would you want your kids to grow up in Syria? Letting people drown is inhumane, it doesn't matter that their skin colour is different from yours.

Personally, I'd like the EU to be more aggressive - establish a coast guard along the Libyan shore, force the ships to land and then destroy them.

Good post. Just because you don't want an onslaught of immigrants, doesn't mean you cannot be a decent damn person to them.

And this is why Hungary is building a fence to keep refugees out.

...Because Italy won't let them drown?

Because they can't afford to house and feed them. Over 100 000 have passed through there so far this year. All the EU border countries have the same issues including Greece.

Because they can't afford to house and feed them. Over 100 000 have passed through there so far this year. All the EU border countries have the same issues including Greece.

There is a big difference between turning people away and letting them drown.

Definitely. I'm not even sure how I feel about the fence building.

What I'm saying is I understand the frustration with the burden of taking on a financial and cultural burden of foreign cultures. What do you suggest as a solution? I have no ideas.

How many rescued at sea were sent home and how many were sent to other countries in the EU? If most are getting spread out through europe, you'll get more boats.

I would think in the long run a boat and fuel with a trip to the coastline to drop them off would be much cheaper. Or they could round them up and harvest their organs for transplants. Whichever.

The traffickers prey on the respect for human lives in the West, thus all they need to do is get close to Italy and wait for the coast guard to rescue the refugees. I understand people want to escape hardship, but Europe can't afford to keep taking on these Middle Eastern groups. They got enough problem with their Muslims as it is.

I guess it makes someone feel good about themselves.

Or perhaps they're being bribed.

Back