Why does a close fight = robbery? (RE: Jones vs Gus)

MirByArmbar

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of being there live last night and from my perspective, the only clear round with 100% certainty that I thought Gus won, was the first round.

Rounds two and three were so close they could have gone either way. Alexander was on his way to winning round four but got caught with that huge elbow by Jones who really put his stamp on it.

At the end of it, I felt it was an incredible fight, where both men elevated themselves to something spectacular. I just find it troubling that people can feel so certain that Alexander won by a comfortable margin.

Do people really feel it was a robbery or is Jones so disliked that they wanted him to lose so badly and were so close of feeling that satisfaction that they try to disparage his gutsy performance

People aren't that smart and are incredibly biased. Around here close equates to an automatic robbery.

My guess is that just because Jones didn't dominate and looked out of character, people believe he didn't win the fight coupled with the fact that most of those same people desperately want him to lose.

People aren't that smart and are incredibly biased. Around here close equates to an automatic robbery.

Yeah and thats the thing.

Do people want their favorite/least favorite fighters to win/lose regardless of how they do it? Personally, I don't care who wins at the end of the day, just want to see a good display of skills and athleticism and last night's main event exceeding every expectation.

It's unfortunate people have a sour taste in their mouth and are discrediting a likely candidate for Fight of the Year

jRC0PwGylD8Ol.png

close fight is a robbery when the guy you liked lost or the guy you hate and wanted to lose wins.

Simply as that. Take two loved fighters, two fighters like Hendo/Shogun who are legends and have fans that love them, close fight is just a close fight. Sure the guy you liked more you think he won but nobody was flipping out that Hendo is a bum and he didnt deserve to win that shogun fight and how it was the biggest robbery in the history of the sport.

But because people hate Jones, I'd say 60-70 percent of mma fans dont like Jones and wanted to see him lose, that makes it a robbery to them.

It was a close fight that Jones edged out late, both guys showed up, showed heart, a rematch would be great, no losers in that fight. Close fight, great title fight, not a robbery, not even a robbery if Gus won. It was just a close fight.

What he said^.

People can't admit that it was a close fight, if their favorite guy lost a close fight it automatically means robbery for them.

There isn't even a clear scoring criteria in MMA and people wanna talk about robbery like the fight had a clear winner.....

People hate Jones and love Gus.

I dont think people love Gus. They just hate Jones. Could have been Glover, Davis, Bader and the fans reaction would be the same. Its all hatred for Jones.

I had the pleasure of being there live last night and from my perspective, the only clear round with 100% certainty that I thought Gus won, was the first round.

Rounds two and three were so close they could have gone either way. Alexander was on his way to winning round four but got caught with that huge elbow by Jones who really put his stamp on it.

At the end of it, I felt it was an incredible fight, where both men elevated themselves to something spectacular. I just find it troubling that people can feel so certain that Alexander won by a comfortable margin.

Do people really feel it was a robbery or is Jones so disliked that they wanted him to lose so badly and were so close of feeling that satisfaction that they try to disparage his gutsy performance

re: title---- it doesn't. didn't read.

Because that's how nuthuggers and haters roll.

We still get people bitching about BJ/Frankie, Condit/Diaz, Shogun/Machida, blah blah blah. This is just the latest in a long string of fights people really wanted someone to lose but they didn't. Therefore the next best thing is to cry robbery until the end of time, clearly.

I dont think people love Gus. They just hate Jones. Could have been Glover, Davis, Bader and the fans reaction would be the same. Its all hatred for Jones.

lol maybe so, the hate is certainly strong with Jones. Gus is extremely lovable though.

I just saw the fight, without commentary.

Jones won, even though i was cheering for Gus. can't really debate more than that on the result, gus's effort was commendable but if only he had some more in the gas tank towards the end. at a certain point in the 5th i though he was close to collapsing.

Everybody hates my favorite fighter!

Sherdog has 270 000 users. Every time a fight is close, a fraction of those will believe it should clearly have good the other way, and therefore is a robbery. And people make more threads when they feel they have an opinion which isn't commonly accepted.

Polls are really a better way to take the pulse on a forum, and I don't think the majority opinion is that this is a robbery. Because it wasn't.

The Jones hate is absurd around here. It feeds into the notion of a robbery due to the hate on him and the bias toward Gus.

People are over thinking this.

Nobody is a diehard Gus fanboy and jumping through hoops to make it seem like he won. People simply watched one guy dominate anothers wrestling and striking skills, expected his hand to be raised at the end, and were disappointed when it wasn't. There were more boo's than cheers in that crowd after a winner was announced, Dana apparently didn't catch most of the fight happening 10 feet from his face, and the statistics were drastically changed multiple times after the fight to better reflect the disappointing outcome.

No big deal. This message brought to you by Gatorade, its what your body craves.

Because hate and butthurt cloud people's judgement. Every. Damn. Time.

Back