Why does a close fight = robbery? (RE: Jones vs Gus)

its robbery when its a unanimous decision. I have seen fights much more one sided that ended in split. The fact that it wasn't even a split is disgusting. It should have been a split or draw. That's why its so bitter to grasp.

People are over thinking this.

Nobody is a diehard Gus fanboy and jumping through hoops to make it seem like he won. People simply watched one guy dominate anothers wrestling and striking skills, expected his hand to be raised at the end, and were disappointed when it wasn't. There were more boo's than cheers in that crowd after a winner was announced, Dana apparently didn't catch most of the fight happening 10 feet from his face, and the statistics were drastically changed multiple times after the fight to better reflect the disappointing outcome.

No big deal. This message brought to you by Gatorade, its what your body craves.

u sir win the internet , no highlights of gus in between rounds either even hen he won rounds, i counted three punches they showed while they showed everything jones threw

To be fair though, it did seem like the fight was predetermined to be decided in favor of Bones unless Gus finished the fight or won a ridiculously lopsided decision. And, to be sure, that is often how it goes in title defenses, the challenger has to be able to win unquestionably; if Gus had been given the nod it would have been a win that certainly could be arguable. For a UFC champ, especially one as viable as Jones, it is to be expected that in a close fight like this there would be some bias in favor of the viable champ. Because Jones and his fanboys are often so intolerable, it is also to be expected that we see seriously backlash when it does happen.

To be fair though, it did seem like the fight was predetermined to be decided in favor of Bones unless Gus finished the fight or won a ridiculously lopsided decision. And, to be sure, that is often how it goes in title defenses, the challenger has to be able to win unquestionably; if Gus had been given the nod it would have been a win that certainly could be arguable. For a UFC champ, especially one as viable as Jones, it is to be expected that in a close fight like this there would be some bias in favor of the viable champ. Because Jones and his fanboys are often so intolerable, it is also to be expected that we see seriously backlash when it does happen.

No it didn't.

The only real robbery was the 49-46 judge.

I woulda been fine with the outcome if all three judges scored it 48-47 Jones even though I thought Gus won 3 rounds.

2502762-6278897736-no-no.gif

workaholics-no.gif

But keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

You're a retard if you think it was a close fight. Theres more I can call you dumbasses but Im positive the mods will be sensitive.

Visible damage does not dictate who is winning a fight but in this case it did.
Jones' elbows did not land for the most part and only a jackass counting the back of the arm landing against the side of the head with no power n a spinning elbow attack would add it to Jones' tally. That is what there was plenty of from Jones, a lot spurts of aggressive yet only grazing low power contact that is more than likely counted as flush hits to you idiots that think you know how to score fights. For the many power strikes thrown by Jones, only several were significant and standard strikes were not as prominent as Gustfsson's. Compare that to the many jabs by Gustafsson that picked Jones apart. He picked Jones apart. Not only did he do that with jabs, but with a few other tools that worked including a good hook, and Jones' face showed it.
Even from the perspective of octagon control, Gustafsson had Jones outpointed, being the agressor in the start and frustrating Jones enough to make him work soon after and also at other moments throughout where Gustafsson would still leave Jones flustered with jabs, impeccable footwork and evasiveness. The only area it was really close was takedowns/wrestling, thats it. That itself makes it not a factor when compared to the aforementioned points I've gone over. Those are the facts, it was not a close fight as many would like to think it was or just go along with others saying it was because they themselves arent keen on whats important in determining who is winning a fight, not only by ufc scoring but by common sense mma tallying. Watch the fight again if possible and slow it down during striking and what I've said will become evident, theres no way around it. Anyone saying otherwise is obviously a lying, biased, worthless turd who has no place being a fan of mma.

My guess is that just because Jones didn't dominate and looked out of character, people believe he didn't win the fight coupled with the fact that most of those same people desperately want him to lose.

This about sums it up.

I had the pleasure of being there live last night and from my perspective, the only clear round with 100% certainty that I thought Gus won, was the first round.

Rounds two and three were so close they could have gone either way. Alexander was on his way to winning round four but got caught with that huge elbow by Jones who really put his stamp on it.

At the end of it, I felt it was an incredible fight, where both men elevated themselves to something spectacular. I just find it troubling that people can feel so certain that Alexander won by a comfortable margin.

Do people really feel it was a robbery or is Jones so disliked that they wanted him to lose so badly and were so close of feeling that satisfaction that they try to disparage his gutsy performance

I've said it before and I'll say it again, most of the times when the challenger does better than expected that equals challenger winning the fight, and I don't think that concept is going to change anytime soon.

If you would've posted last night you saw it 49-46, I can only imagine the kind of replies you would've gotten. Even though sites like Bloody Elbow, MMA junkie and of guy on this site (don't remeber his name) scored it that way, but of course they were journalist under Zuffa's payroll.

You're a retard if you think it was a close fight. Theres more I can call you dumbasses but Im positive the mods will be sensitive.

Visible damage does not dictate who is winning a fight but in this case it did.
Jones' elbows did not land for the most part and only a jackass counting the back of the arm landing against the side of the head with no power n a spinning elbow attack would add it to Jones' tally. That is what there was plenty of from Jones, a lot spurts of aggressive yet only grazing low power contact that is more than likely counted as flush hits to you idiots that think you know how to score fights. For the many power strikes thrown by Jones, only several were significant and standard strikes were not as prominent as Gustfsson's. Compare that to the many jabs by Gustafsson that picked Jones apart. He picked Jones apart. Not only did he do that with jabs, but with a few other tools that worked including a good hook, and Jones' face showed it.
Even from the perspective of octagon control, Gustafsson had Jones outpointed, being the agressor in the start and frustrating Jones enough to make him work soon after and also at other moments throughout where Gustafsson would still leave Jones flustered with jabs, impeccable footwork and evasiveness. The only area it was really close was takedowns/wrestling, thats it. That itself makes it not a factor when compared to the aforementioned points I've gone over. Those are the facts, it was not a close fight as many would like to think it was or just go along with others saying it was because they themselves arent keen on whats important in determining who is winning a fight, not only by ufc scoring but by common sense mma tallying. Watch the fight again if possible and slow it down during striking and what I've said will become evident, theres no way around it. Anyone saying otherwise is obviously a lying, biased, worthless turd who has no place being a fan of mma.

bravo sir well put :icon_excl

Back