why do you train?

Fun, stay in shape, mabe when im older to one day compete in mma you never know :p lol

i train first and foremost because i enjoy the art of grappling, and i have found that as i get better i like it more and more.

In the short/medium/long term....To get in great shape, and for self confidence

In the long term.....For the glory of winning in competition of which there is no greater accomplishment. Whether it be sub grappling or MMA, you are truely a man if you compete.

because bjj is awesome.iv had a week and a half off due to sickness.can't wait for tonight when i go back.

Another good one that doesn't get mentioned much is that exercise builds brains cells. They call it neurogenesis.

mystic , more info on neurogenesis, sounds very interesting

is it just me or any of you guys cant get exited about regular sports as much as you use to, i used to have a PASSION for college football, still love soccer , used to a be a huge basketball fan, i still like them and enjoy them, but nooooothing like before. then i started zhoo zhit sooo and everything else took a backseat. BJJ>ALL OTHER. BJJ is a healthy obsession. it makes you sharper and more confident in everything you do and you cant put a price on that. its a living and breathing thing inside of you that evoles and gets better the more you train. progression in bjj is a buzz that lasts for days. but there are also the bad days. sometimes ill walk out the dojo felling like a million bucks then other times i have to bite down on a towel so i dont punch a hole in my wall. Jiujitsu has been very ,very good to me. but sometimes it tests how much you love it, those are the days you realize I LOVE THIS SHIT!! or else you wouldnt put up with it. ive met cool people, gotten very good high paying jobs from connections made in the dojo, lost wieght, eat better , the good things are countless. i have an intense sense of loyalty to this discipline that has given me so much and has made me a better person.

Fred Gage at the Salk Institute was the first to really ground this with studies on mice. Found that mice with running wheels had grown more brain cells than non-running mice. Adult mice. Before, it was previously thought adults could not 'grow' more brain cells. They can.
They also did studies to find if it increased intelligence. They placed exerciser mice and sedentary mice into mazes and the exerciser mice consistantly completed the maze quicker and more often. They were placed in a small pool, with an 'island' just under the surface in the pool. Both types would panic while looking for a safe spot. The ones that found the safe spot (island) were then re-placed in the pool at a later time and the majority of the mice that remembered the island were the exerciser mice.
Also, studies were done on ability to handle stress. Placed in a hi-stress situation, such as throwing a predator into the cage or forcefully close drowning, some would panic and others would 'freeze'. The majority of the exerciser rats were the 1st to 'calm down' after the threat was removed. Cooler rats.:)
These were done in the late 90's and have been shown in humans also. (Adult) human.

Just google exercise and the brain or neurogenesis and there is plenty to read.

I train to compete. I want to keep getting better and better so that I will win more and more matches.

becouse it's Fun, and for self defense and becouse it's So DARM FUN to tap someone

To stay strong and healthy. Staying strong is a duty,not a chore. I need to be strong for myself and be there for my family. Not always because I want to , but I need to. Nothing better for yourself then being strong and healthy for your life, self confidence, respect for yourself and others. Nothing beats a challenge of you against the metal your training with. Blasting through challenges you set for yourself you never though possable. The training stops when your hands are bleeding :D :eek:

I train for the fun and knowledge that comes with grappling and striking. I really don't think I will ever fight someone and almost never enter a mma event but its still fun. Yeah, I compete and do alright. But for me its just a fun thing to do.

At the academy I just hang back after training and watch my friends and classmates spar and I am just amazed at how we all knew very little but are getting better and better.

We hang out, meet visiting people, train, go out to fights or clubs together. We meet each other's family, g.f., co workers, friends, its awesome. We are like a big family.

To have fun, to do something I like, it's also a better way to keep fit than going to the gym.

Back