Why do women not go for take downs below the waist

What change of pace!! Cub/moicano

Not just miesha but probably less than ten that use a double often
Cat zingano Sara Mcmann, Carla Esparza, Tatiana Suarez jessica Andrade and Claudia gadelha are basically it

THIS! Zingano and Mcmann are glorified wrestlers; Slutate was a bad high school wrestler; she just had good coaching and good cornering during her career.
Gadelha is a beast and has the technique to do it, also Sparza and Andrade.
But not many more from Zingano, Mcmann, Sparza, Andrade and Gadelha.

She has a tendency to use the head and arm throw a lot too, unfortunately.

Why is that unfortunate? She makes it work.
Suarez also uses the head and arm throw (!)

Not as many wrestlers in the women’s division. Hardly takes a genius to figure it out. The prominent wrestlers have all been mentioned.

They might get knocked out themselves after getting a whiff of rotten fish.

They don't come from the same wrestling backgrounds men do and they are also not explosive enough to change levels and get inside as quickly as an athletic male. You're simply watching lower level MMA.

Holly did it the best I've seen in WMMA and she's a boxer xD

Depends on the girl.

Carla and Suarez for example pretty much only go for below the waist take downs from what I've seen. Heck, Carla spams them half her fights.

They don't come from the same wrestling backgrounds men do and they are also not explosive enough to change levels and get inside as quickly as an athletic male. You're simply watching lower level MMA.

Tatiana Suarez is a terrific wrestler in the UFC. No one has been able to stop her power doubles. Crazy good compared to the rest of the SW division.

It's easier to hook under the boobs and trip longer legs I guess.
[<diva3}

1) Women have a heavier sprawl proportionately. It sounds like an old wives tale, but women actually do have a lower center of gravity than men. Women literally have "heavier hips" as a proportion of their body weight.

That cuts both ways. It makes their sprawl a more effective tool, and it means if their opponent can put their hips off balance it's more difficult to recover.

2) Women also have proportionately less upper body strength than men so pulling in hard against a sprawl is more difficult. Whereas standing throws they can lift with their core and legs.

3) Less women have come to MMA from wrestling programs. It's far more common to see women who started in traditional martial arts, MMA classes, or boxing than from freestyle or US folkstyle wrestling.

With all of that said, you still do see power doubles in WMMA, it's just less vital to their game.

Cat zingano Sara Mcmann, Carla Esparza, Tatiana Suarez jessica Andrade and Claudia gadelha are basically it
If you notice what most of those fighters have in common, it's a background in amateur wrestling.

My guess is that most male fighters have at least some exposure to amateur wrestling, and so have a leg up on women as far as being exposed to these types of takedowns.

But it is kind of weird, the girls love their head & arm throws.

If you notice what most of those fighters have in common, it's a background in amateur wrestling.

My guess is that most male fighters have at least some exposure to amateur wrestling, and so have a leg up on women as far as being exposed to these types of takedowns.

But it is kind of weird, the girls love their head & arm throws.

206gsib.jpg

Back