Why do we talk about "size differences" when weight classes exist?

Because your mother cuts to Super Heavyweight Trebek

4Qr1.gif
I laughed way too hard. Thank you for this. Still my favorite SNL skits

probably everything everyone said plus the fact that at certain times and age in your life it's easier to cut weight and be able to recover. everything is a factor so certainly weight is a factor.

That's not what I said. I said size advantage matters less on the ground than it does standing up....
You don't even have to train to know that, you just have to look at the history of BJJ and how the UFC started

And I wasn't talking in the context of a similar skill set exactly. Obviously if both fighters are of similar skill than the bigger guy wins majority of the time

It's just not accurate. Look how many elite boxers move up through the ranks and stay elite. It happens all the time. Oftentimes they don't carry their KO power with them, but they're still highly successful. You don't see it nearly as often in MMA due to the grappling aspect. It's tough to fuck with a bigger elite grappler.

That's not what I said. I said size advantage matters less on the ground than it does standing up....
You don't even have to train to know that, you just have to look at the history of BJJ and how the UFC started

And I wasn't talking in the context of a similar skill set exactly. Obviously if both fighters are of similar skill than the bigger guy wins majority of the time

You are wrong. Size matters more in grappling. The history of BJJ and how the UFC started is not a proof to your point. There was a HUGE difference in skill between the guys in the first few years of the UFC. Even the commentators for the UFC have mentioned many times that weight matters more in grappling. Pretty much anyone who trains knows this.

Among analysts, "he's the bigger fighter" and "the size is going to make a big difference in this fight" seems to be a common talking point when predicting/analyzing fights these days.

When weight classes exist, why is this such a significant factor in fights? What is the point of having weight classes if we so frequently see, come fight night, that one fighter is significantly larger than their opponent?

If size is a determining factor when it comes to fights, perhaps the existing weight classes are too large and allow too much allowance in weight disparity.

Nothing is proven if at the end of the fight, the winner boasts "I was the bigger fighter" and, if the loser also says "he was the bigger fighter".

Why do they have weighins when fighters gain a bunch of weight before the actual fight?

probably everything everyone said plus the fact that at certain times and age in your life it's easier to cut weight and be able to recover. everything is a factor so certainly weight is a factor.

This. It's why I don't hate on big weight cutters. There's a risk/reward aspect to cutting weight. You're going to be more drained and probably take a cardio hit when cutting big time weight. Just like power, chin, speed, reach, etc. some guys have an advantage in that they're just naturally good at it. We don't bitch about guys with big time power or an iron chin having an unfair advantage. The only issue I have with weight cutting right now is that the penalty for missing is too light and the UFC's tendency to reward fighters for missing weight as long as they win (including giving them title shots) is just complete bullshit. You should not be able to advance your career by missing weight.

Well a lot of it comes down to the pound for pound debate. My issue always with the mighty mouse argument in terms of his greatness is that Cruz was the last great fighter that he faced. He lost. There was never any rematch. He dropped down and fought a bunch of second rate fighters as far as I’m concerned. So he was building a legacy on second rate fighters.

The only issue I have with weight cutting right now is that the penalty for missing is too light and the UFC's tendency to reward fighters for missing weight as long as they win (including giving them title shots) is just complete bullshit. You should not be able to advance your career by missing weight.

True. If you can do it, do it. but yeah penalty too small. A win is way better than 10% of your purse for weight missers.

True. If you can do it, do it. but yeah penalty too small. A win is way better than 10% of your purse for weight missers.

Especially when that win will allow you to advance in the rankings and even potentially earn a title shot. 10% is a small price to pay to go into the cage with a significant size advantage knowing that as long as you win the UFC will essentially act as if that weight miss never even happened.

Well a lot of it comes down to the pound for pound debate. My issue always with the mighty mouse argument in terms of his greatness is that Cruz was the last great fighter that he faced. He lost. There was never any rematch. He dropped down and fought a bunch of second rate fighters as far as I’m concerned. So he was building a legacy on second rate fighters.

Cruz can't cut to 125. And if he did I don't think he could perform well. Mighty mouse is legit pfp up there. I even think he won tonight but he coasted a lil bit too much. He did way more damage and I think that is the fight game's number 1 criteria. I think the narrative was for him to lose since the ufc didn't lik e him. They will like henry cejudo less. Henry is even less flashy than mighty mouse.

Cruz can't cut to 125. And if he did I don't think he could perform well. Mighty mouse is legit pfp up there. I even think he won tonight but he coasted a lil bit too much. He did way more damage and I think that is the fight game's number 1 criteria. I think the narrative was for him to lose since the ufc didn't lik e him. They will like henry cejudo less. Henry is even less flashy than mighty mouse.

Legacies are not about how many times you defended a title. It is about who did you fight? The reality is outside of Henry who proved himself tonight he didn’t fight anyone. His legacy to me is pretty much irrelevant. He fought a great fighter up a class and then dropped a class and beat second rate guys. I’m sorry I am not impressed by that.

Back