Why do we never mention the walking stick / short staff / jo as a formidable weapon?

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
ITT I talk about a walking stick of a length of at least ~125 cm / 50 inches.

In theory, I really like it. I think we might even have a GOAT candidate.

It has a good balance between reach yet can be carried for walks (a quarter staff is deadlier but is huge).

It is a nasty, versatile and easy to use bludgeoning weapon: you can use it to poke from the front or hit from the side. I think people underestimate just how hard these things can hit. One quick, jab to the face or throat and the fight is over. One good jab to the ribs, same thing. One good swing to the head and you can crack a skull. If the attacker blocks with his arms, chances are he is getting numb or breaking something.

Since you use it with both hands (leverage) and due to its geometry, it is extremely quick. You don't need to load up, like with a baseball bat, and you can recover quickly.

It is one of the very few weapon that I think could be used effectively to defend against things like feral dogs.

You don't need a licence.

It is cheap and you can make yourself a new one if you have access to decent wood and are in trouble in the wild.

I think the walking stick might even have the advantage over a knife, an axe and even some swords, due to reach and speed.

Just as an example, please don't be put off by the whole decorum, but it appears that this dude could wreck some serious shit with his staff:

Discuss at once.

I broke my hip last year and still walk with a cane. It Sounds cool unless you really need it.

People cast Judgmental looks:
SLJ.gif

Good question - when talking about jo I would ask Randy Couture

I broke my hip last year and still walk with a cane. It Sounds cool unless you really need it.

People cast Judgmental looks:
SLJ.gif

Sorry to hear about your hip, bro. Hope you fully recover quickly.

Note that the walking stick is vastly different from the cane. A cane is as high as your hip, while said stick is as high as your sternum....

Sorry to hear about your hip, bro. Hope you fully recover quickly.

Note that the walking stick is vastly different from the cane. A cane is as high as your hip, while said stick is as high as your sternum....

In Texas, I think it's better just to carry a gun:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

"
Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:

(A) blackjack;

(B) nightstick;

(C) mace;

(D) tomahawk."

I can go cripp'n down the sidewalk like Stumpy from Rio Bravo with a walking cane all I want, but the Law's liable to look at a stick as a club if I crack any skulls.
I can get a Concealed carry permit and just pack heat. Less trouble.

Rio+Bravo3.jpg

Last edited:
In Texas, I think it's better just to carry a gun:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

"
Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:

(A) blackjack;

(B) nightstick;

(C) mace;

(D) tomahawk."

I can go cripp'n down the sidewalk like Stumpy from Rio Bravo with a walking cane all I want, but the Law's liable to look at a stick as a club if crack any skulls.
I can get a Concealed carry permit and just pack heat. Less trouble.

Rio+Bravo3.jpg

Interesting.
In Yurrp, no need to precise that carrying a firearm is almost impossible.

As for the walking stick, yeah, in a city it might raise some eyebrows, even if it would not be illegal.

But for going for walks on trails, forest ,mountains, etc. what a walking stick is intended to do, it is 100% fine, at least in Germany where I live.

But for going for walks on trails, forest ,mountains, etc. what a walking stick is intended to do, it is 100% fine, at least in Germany where I live.

Absolutely, sure beats nothing too.

But the implicit purpose of the thread is walking stick vs knife / baseball bat / tomohawk, etc.
So discuss, please.

A Stick's not bad, definitely in Parks etc.... I think there was a thread here before about canes n such in polite society.
1iDeSCE.gif
Jcrt.gif

Since I'm just a temporary crip I'd prolly feign weakness and move all feeble-like:
gjR8L3S.gif

Then bust out a surprise attack Willie Wonka-style:
tumblr_ocov4qIElh1qzk2apo1_500.gif

And start slinging lead with my new gat.
IMG_8908-660x438.jpg

Last edited:
I found this dude, who employs a very "non-Asian" approach:

It is very inspired by the Portugese "Jogo do Pau", which, I find, is completely different from the stick fighting we are used to seeing from Asia:

I have a walking cane made of 11 layers of fiber glass and a 300 weight stainless steel head.

100% I would rather have it than a knife, the leverage that you are able to get is considerable!

I have a walking cane made of 11 layers of fiber glass and a 300 weight stainless steel head.

100% I would rather have it than a knife, the leverage that you are able to get is considerable!

A 300 grams steel head you mean?

So I ordered myself a jo an it arrived :)
It's the standard 127cm (so it's a high as my armpit), made of oak and costs 16€.
It will be the perfect walking stick for going on uneaven terrain.

I much prefer single walking sticks on the longer side than say, dual normal length modern ones (everyone uses this where I live) because length is great on your knees when going down mountains.

Now I have handled it a bit in my appartment and it feels great. It certainly feels like it can carry huge acceleration if held like a baseball bat. Can't wait to go try it out outside :)

Well, in the same spirit you could always try training the "canne de combat" and then casually walk with one self-defense metallic umbrella ... More urban.

Well, in the same spirit you could always try training the "canne de combat" and then casually walk with one self-defense metallic umbrella ... More urban.

Canne de combat is pretty awesome but first of all extremely rare to find, and then I don't think that I'll start walking around with an umbrella.

In the countryside however, where I live there are wild boars and a few wolves sightings recently, so I'll defenitely feel more at ease with the walking stick (not to mention that I love walking with a stick anyways).

Okay to anyone interested I tried my walking stick today.

In its capacity as a walking stick I maintain that this is the perfect length & stick.

In its capacity as a weapon I am pretty amazed. I opted for a framework where I swing it like a baseball bat, holding it very near the bottom. Feels fast, versatile and deadly.

Back