why do the trainers do this?

You can try dry swimming all you want, learn the correct arm movement, get the perfect arm pull leg push coordination. But when you get thrown into the water for the first time you'll be splashing around trying not to sink, then you'll learn everything again because it's completely different story against the water resistance.

There were two big methods in the exercise science: the dissection method, where every technique and aspect is trained separately and is integrated in the big figure later, and the problem-oriented method, where the students are forced to develop on their own understanding and ways to solve the given problems.

Both methods have flaws on their own. You must find a balance between drilling of the technique and it's application.

You can be great at your "base" skills ie, footwork, jab, defence but if you dont use it in a fight/sparing you never can really put it all together. At that time your training a tottaly diffrent side of your skills. The mental games you can play with your partner, and thinking while in the action, not just throwing combos that look good in a mirror or on a heavy bag. Also shows how you can work in distress, or your agression, theres lots in sparing you can learn about someone that you wouldnt have a clue in working combos shadow boxing and bag/mit work.

Now i dont belive either of these can be over looked and as some others said it comes down to the teacher and there methods. I was sparing within 2 months vs some people that fight and train in the same class i go too. Yeah i get peppered every now and then, but would i have learned 1/4 what i have if we didnt do sparing. Not a chance.

Plus comming into my MT training i had been in one real street fight, and was always worried to hurt people/ get hurt if i had to fight again, but the sparing has really showed how resilient people are and i no longer fear fighting and actualy placed first in my first continous tourny a month ago.

If your school is tossing you too the wolfs in early sparing class and your not learning anything i think thats your teachers problem, but if they can teach you while your sparing i think your getting exposer you will need anyways if you want to take this to the next lvl.

I would never train anywhere that didn't allow some kind of sparring after a month or two of training.

The problem is with trainers that don't know how to run sparring sessions for begginers. You have to break things down into digestible chunks. Assigned offense and defense. Jab only sparring and other drills.

For MT or KB, have seperate hands only, feet only and intgrated sparring. It should start out at like 10% speed and effort, then 25%, 50% etc. It HAS to be enforced by the coach and experienced assistants who demonstrates what this looks like and does not allow brawling.

You cannot learn to fight without sparring. You will never learn real tactics, footwork, and timing without sparring. Everthing else is a dance routine. Dance routines are good for learning basic muscle movements but without aliveness and a thinking, resisting opponent, your training is crap.

Especially in MMA, there are guys with horrible form and good functional effectiveness. There are also guys that look like Bruce Lee doing shadow boxing in front of the mirror and fall apart once they take one good stiff jab in the face.

I agree 100%. The "chunks and pieces" approach makes it mentally digestable to everyone. If you go over stance, footwork, hand placement, head movement with chin tucked, shoulders high, etc,etc (all the other beginner stuff) the newbs wont pick up a dam thing. Its overload. I always coach in a day-by-day sequence. 1 day feet, 1 day head with hands protecting, and so on. By friday they should have a small amount of technique strung together. Teaching defense first is also good. People are way too anxious to start throwing punches, missing all the good stuff.

You have to spar, period. It is a totally different world when someone is trying to hit you or connect with you if you make a mistake. The stuff you 'think' about when on the bags and pads (eg hands up, or elbows tight, or watever technique errors you have) are easily forgotten if you aren't reminded immediately. When you're sparring you find out cos you get punched in the face, and that makes you remember for nex time lol.

I worked on pads for a while and wanted to spar, and was also told I had good technique, but it took me a while to transfer these ideas or being able to process them well enough to use in sparring. (there's so much ot think about, and it's a lot quicker, it's not like setting yourself to hit a thai pad, even if ht epad holder is striking you with teh pads). The TS's idea of "stopp sparring and learn proper form" is rubbish, obv differnet people handle things differently, but sparring is what allows people to pick holes in the technique you have, however poor it is, which helps ou correct.

People sparring too hard or tryina KO each other is just ego, as long as it is regulated and the coach is keeping on top of things I don't really see a problem. 90% of hte time the respect a person shows is returned.

EDIT: in agreement I would say that sometimes people are thrown into sparring without learning correct blocking / defending and that obviously makes life a little difficult for them, beacuse they can strike or they have the form to strike, but not defend or transfer from attacking to defending.

Yeh until you spar you dont know shit. I think obviously dont put complete rookies in to spar but after a month or two let them have a go. Whats the worst that could happen, they get hit a few times and realise they dont like fighting? Good at least they saved themselves alot of time. They enjoy it and it motivates them to train harder and catch up to their superiors? Also good.

What's absolutely disgusting is the number of incompetent trainers in MMA that are letting their guys get in the ring with a couple of months experience. I mean sparring is one thing but in a real competition is crazy. This is more than poor training, it is downright dangerous.

It happens alot. It's why so many fight cards are lined with guys with awful records.

Some clubs around here brag about how great this guy is doing after 3 months training. He beats a can worse then himself, then gets folded in 30 seconds against a half decent blue belt, or amateur level boxer.

I just started at my boxing gym about 6 weeks, and was told I'll start 'light sparring' last week.

This is after I told them I have 4 months of kickboxing, altho only 2 times a week, and some defensive drills where I looked okay avoiding punches or covering up.

My prediction? Pain.

As a beginner myself (sparring for about two months after a month of training, which was after training in I-don't-remember-what however-long-ago), I find that sparring helps with head tracking, reaction, and overcoming flinch reflex, all randomized variables that aren't easy to replicate in drills. It's a Darwinian approach to technique that brings out what works and kills off what doesn't (I've already mostly discarded my shoto/sugarfoot/gung fu/wtf stance I picked up a long time ago...that's all the same stance, btw. And let's not talk about old point sparring habits interfering with standup training).

IMHO, given that a generally greater amount of time is spent drilling (and the fact that you can drill on your own), sparring can be useful for choosing which weaknesses to improve on or strengths to take advantage of.

My only issue is that experienced fighters sometimes mix in with my beginner's sparring course, which is great if they know how to hold back and work with you but can be frustrating if they just want to beat on you. I've had both, sometimes in the same night, but I just deal with it and keep going back until I pass out or break a bone. I could really do without the frustration, though.

as long as you can do the footwork i think you can do some spars.

messing up the footwork and losing your boxing stance is the only NoNo in my book.

when your still fairly new to the sport just keep a tight guard, block a lot try to move a little bit and throw out your best jabs.

as long as the coaches keep an eye on you so you dont get in a brawl or something things should be fine.

after some spars you will notice improvement in your regular training as well.
plus you get a motivational boost after your first sparring.

Back