Why do some fighters never learn the basics of striking defense?

Some fighters can’t even throw a simple jab or overhand properly, lol let alone defence

Imo if you have a good chin you may as well utilise it. Recklessly taking shots to the grill for your first 10 or 15 fights is easier than developing proper defence.

Nobody lives forever, the MMA game is a short-lived one.
All efforts should go towards maxing out the power on your haymakers IMHO.

Why didn't Rockhold learn to tuck his chin though? And as far as the idea of keeping his hands low helping with defense, it obviously didn't help him.
You’ll get no argument from me on rockhold’s defense being bad, Paddy is the same way, chin way up in the air during exchanges. I think some guys can drill forever but revert back to their instincts/bad habits in the cage. That’s my guess on Luke because that’s not the only bad habit that got him in trouble, he got KOd by Yoel for moving back in a straight line and got lined up.

ain't nobody got time for that

hands down
chin up
and let them swing baby

You should totally offer to teach them

Maybe cause defense doesn’t score like in boxing, guys just neglect it and focus on offense, hoping their chin doesn’t fall apart

which is insane because all of the greats are great because they had wicked defense.

Imo if you have a good chin you may as well utilise it. Recklessly taking shots to the grill for your first 10 or 15 fights is easier than developing proper defence.

Nobody lives forever, the MMA game is a short-lived one.
All efforts should go towards maxing out the power on your haymakers IMHO.

i'd rather save my chin for when i really need it instead of wasting it brawling with a 10-15 unknown bums.

Tae Bo is all about offense. The best defense is a good offense.

Maybe cause defense doesn’t score like in boxing, guys just neglect it and focus on offense, hoping their chin doesn’t fall apart
Not only this but striking defense in mma is different, more complicated. I’ve noticed a lot of fighter go with the “best defense is a good offense” strategy and seeing as I am a just bleed disciple I don’t hate them for this. It’s why I watch mma and not boxing. Lol

Back