Why Do Some Fans Claim to Hate Trash Talk and Bravado???? I Love It

Are you telling me that all the trash talk between Rashad and Rampage didn't make things that much more tense during the build up and faceoff??? Obviously the fight was not incredible but still...
Funny you use that example because Rampage and Rashad are exactly what turned me off of trash talk. All that yapping, then they go in there and do a 15 minute light sparing session.

Meanwhile Hendo and Shogun are all bromance and smiles, yet their fights go down in history.

So ya, I’m supposed to dumb myself down to the point where I’m convinced that these two dudes talking trash will somehow go in there and punch each other harder because of it? No thanks, I don’t need it.

It’s not like it spices things up like in another sport such as basketball or whatever when there’s a rivalry and a fight could break out. In mma you’re gonna fucken fight the guy anyway, all that crap before the fight just reeks of pathetic insecurity that influences young men who are pretty lost as it is. So ya I don’t like it, and I don’t need it to get invested into a fight.

You say that because you were raised in that base way and are polluted by it and attracted to it. No one in my immediate family or extended family would want to watch it because it is base trash that appeals only to the lowest instincts in people.

You could not be more wrong saying they will watch it anyway. None of us, not a single one, would want to watch it because it is garbage and we have been exposed to much better forms of entertainment.

We are not talking about forcing something here but rather about educating someone and exposing them to more nourishing forms of media.
Alright man I got you. Imma take my polluted ass, sit in a corner and hate myself for the rest of my life because my parents were cruel enough to let me watch pro wrestling. Thanks for opening eyes.

Funny you use that example because Rampage and Rashad are exactly what turned me off of trash talk. All that yapping, then they go in there and do a 15 minute light sparing session.

Meanwhile Hendo and Shogun are all bromance and smiles, yet their fights go down in history.

So ya, I’m supposed to dumb myself down to the point where I’m convinced that these two dudes talking trash will somehow go in there and punch each other harder because of it? No thanks, I don’t need it.

It’s not like it spices things up like in another sport such as basketball or whatever when there’s a rivalry and a fight could break out. In mma you’re gonna fucken fight the guy anyway, all that crap before the fight just reeks of pathetic insecurity that influences young men who are pretty lost as it is. So ya I don’t like it, and I don’t need it to get invested into a fight.
This man/woman/person speaks no lies. ^

It was fun, but those two legit didnt like each other.

I like it when it's real, guys like Conor or Colby and so fake with it though.

Real beef and legit disdain is interesting.
To be fair Colby's trash talking has turned into real heat. He worked himself into a shoot.

Also I believe Conor/Aldo goes a lot differently without trash talk.

In this case it's very clear to understand why. Separate question. Do you train or have you ever been into martial arts yourself or are you strictly a spectator?

Strictly spectator. Had a year or so of "karate" back when I was a kid but that scarcely counts.

It’s entertaining. That’s why I watch MMA. So, I’m all for it.

There's room for both. The thing is being genuine. Polar opposites like Lyoto and Rampage, for example. There's nothing worse than being a fake nice guy.

MMA fans get selectively outraged at everything eventually, that's why.

Win too much, they hate you. Talk too much trash, they hate you. Too flashy, they hate you. Not flashy enough, they hate you. Too confident, they hate you. Not confident enough, they hate you.

That whole "You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain" is the MMA fan's motto.

I hate it when guys like Covington do it, because it's just so bad and cringey. Like WWE. And this covers probably 99% of UFC fighters as well.

I don't mind it so much when guys like Conor do it (except some occasions when he crosses the line a bit too much), because it comes more naturally. But I still want title shots to be awarded based on athletic merit.

I like witty zingers like Ben askren or Chael, they're funny and not too insulting. That's fine, but I hate fake, contrived trash talk like Covington or Conor nowadays, if you need to talk all that stupid shit to sell a fight it means that no one gives a shit about you in the first place. I have always thought that your skills should do the talking.

Alright man I got you. Imma take my polluted ass, sit in a corner and hate myself for the rest of my life because my parents were cruel enough to let me watch pro wrestling. Thanks for opening eyes.

this thread is about why people don't like trash talk and included WWE in the discussion. i am sorry if you feel attacked but it is on topic. i don't think you should go and feel ashamed at all and i am sure you are a good person.

WWE is pollution though and it beings humanity down in every way. it is also wildly inappropriate for children.

Just be respectful as possible after the fight.
Because maybe people don't like fake things ?!!

Smart trashtalk based somewhat on facts ala Cruz is actually entertaining but most of the time guys aren't smart enough or don't put enough time to do it right.

Because maybe people don't like fake things ?!!

Smart trashtalk based somewhat on facts ala Cruz is actually entertaining but most of the time guys aren't smart enough or don't put enough time to do it right.
This is true about Cruz, but are you implying showing respect after the fight is fake or just that most trash talk is fake?

*UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE*
There has been a lot of great responses from all sides for the most part and I appreciate the healthy discussion. Now I have been a member here for almost a decade so I am used to seeing dumb responses and trolls but some of you are acting extra dumb and trying to be smart asses at the same time. Not many of you and some of you I addressed directly and you contributed to the discussion. A couple others continued to play dumb. There is nothing strange, bizarre, or weird about the question. It's a pretty straightforward question. I never said I expected everyone to like the same thing as me. I never said people could not like different things. I never implied anyone was dumb for having a different opinion. If you are someone who hates trash talk, please tell us why. Even if you simply dislike or like it, tell us. I'm not hear to judge m, criticize, or debate. I'm simply trying to hear you out. To everyone with the dumb responses like "people like different things" or "watch wrestling" or some other bullshit, suck a barbwired dick. With that said, carry on gentlemen.*

I don't understand this about some MMA fans. Trash talk and promotion is a very important part of sports but ESPECIALLY combat sports and it's been going on forever. Long before McGregor was even thought of.

Some of you get really bothered and claim, "Oh the sport is turning into WWE" blah! That's another thing. What is the beef with pro wrestling?? It's silly. Most of us grew up on it and if some still enjoy it so what, but it's not necessary to compare.
This is still the entertainment business. Now of course I am against trash talkers jumping ahead of contenders who are clearly much more deserving but that isn't often the case.

I'm a gentleman myself, and yes I do feel like some things are over the line or some guys are straight assholes at times but that makes it all the more enjoyable when they get whooped. I enjoy most trash talk and bravado even when it's not from some of my all time favorites like Adesanya and BJ Penn. Even when it's guys like Rockhold, Rashad, Rampage, etc. It makes everything more interesting.

That fake humble stuff can get boring. Also you can be confident and braggadocious and humble at the same time.

Prolific talkers need to be prolific fighters.

If they are talking but not fighting 2-3 times a year.... they are shit bags.

Shit bags I’m usually willing to pay to watch, but shitbags nonetheless.

Fighters who don’t fight.... Booo

Muhammad Ali is a great example that I considered using. And yes I do believe people have their bias.
Muhammad Ali literally took up his trash talking act because he watched a pro wrestling match. Gorgeous George is directly responsible for Muhammad Ali's antics.

Muhammad Ali literally took up his trash talking act because he watched a pro wrestling match. Gorgeous George is directly responsible for Muhammad Ali's antics.

I've heard this before. I'll check the video out soon.

Just be respectful as possible after the fight.

Nah fuck that. If you someone crosses the lines, i dont want to see no handshakes after. It would be better if the loser who talked shit got taunted.

Nah fuck that. If you someone crosses the lines, i dont want to see no handshakes after. It would be better if the loser who talked shit got taunted.
This is understandable. And I do agree there should be unspoken boundaries. But once the fight is over that should be it. At least for the brief time period. It was foolish of Khabib to jump the fence.

Not that I don't understand. It was just wrong.

this thread is about why people don't like trash talk and included WWE in the discussion. i am sorry if you feel attacked but it is on topic. i don't think you should go and feel ashamed at all and i am sure you are a good person.

WWE is pollution though and it beings humanity down in every way. it is also wildly inappropriate for children.
Dude, I'm not offended. It was joke. Not hurt at all. I think you should helax, life's too short. If you don't want your kids to watch WWE, power to you. I'm not against WWE. I think it's wack but if my future kids wanna watch it then it is what it is. I can't imagine that they'll go slamming people through, talk trash and all that nonsense. Plus WWE these days has a tonne of positivity. It's family oriented and gentrified. Far cry from mma. But whatever you do you.

Back