Why do so many people in bjj not lift weights

Weightlifting will not make you a better wrestler, wrestling will make you a better wrestler.

I plan on starting to do kettle bells this year.
Not going to make a huge deal if it. I can tire myself out in 15 minutes or so.

I really started to think about it after getting wrecked in competition. I’m in ‘average’ shape. While all of my opponents were athletic.
Seems like to hang in comp I’ll have to be in good of shape as the rest of competition.

Seems like ur problem is gas rather than strength

Last edited:
In other words, this is a thread so that TS can say hes better than everyone else that doesn't lift.
Ive lifted longer than ive grappled, but there are still guys who don't lift, who can throw me around purely because theyre more skilled than me. No big deal.

Raging douchebag idiot OP: Why doesn't everyone in BJJ train like totally all the time like me? I'm swole guys, SWOLE.
Other posters: various reasonable answers.
OP: Haha you're OFFENDED. BJJ people are so dumb. BTW I'm like super awesome and stuff.

Like I've said previously, shortbus is literally too dumb to insult. You guys should stop trying to reason with him, it's all going waaaaay above his tiny head. Ideally we'd remove his dumb genes from the collective gene pool, but until then, the only sensible thing to do is to mock him relentlessly for our entertainment.

Raging douchebag idiot OP: Why doesn't everyone in BJJ train like totally all the time like me? I'm swole guys, SWOLE.
OP: Haha you're OFFENDED. BJJ people are so dumb. BTW I'm like super awesome and stuff.

Like I've said previously, shortbus is literally too dumb to insult. You guys should stop trying to reason with him, it's all going waaaaay above his tiny head. Ideally we'd remove his dumb genes from the collective gene pool, but until then, the only sensible thing to do is to mock him relentlessly for our entertainment.

O.......................... K then....

No idea. I won't get back into muay Thai or BJJ until I am jacked strong. Strength matters a lot especially in MMA now. Days of Royce are over

I need to lift more. I used to be big into bodybuilding but once I found BJJ then lifting weights became boring to me. Anytime I have free time to exercise I want to do jiu-jitsu instead. But I do need to incorporate more S&C at the very least for injury prevention since I've been training many years and am getting older.

Why did this thread get so heated? Lifting and other exercises are a good supplement to BJJ. As long as you aren't replacing classes with lifting, it's a completely positive thing.

I need to lift more. I used to be big into bodybuilding but once I found BJJ then lifting weights became boring to me. Anytime I have free time to exercise I want to do jiu-jitsu instead. But I do need to incorporate more S&C at the very least for injury prevention since I've been training many years and am getting older.

You're absolutely right. When you're passionate about it, BJJ makes everything else boring.

Muay Thai and kickboxing classes are very good for the cardio and if you are at least curious about striking, it can be close to a BJJ class, the time flies and you had a super workout. The class I take also integrates about 20 minutes of bodyweight training (pushups, abs, squats...)

For the rest, I do some training at home, I do like 15 minutes of shoulder and neck training every morning, 3 X a week I do a 20 minutes abs training.

But I wouldn't be able to go and lift for an hour straight

I used to be very passionate about running, now I have trouble running more than 10K, wich was my ''short run'' a couple years ago.

I think it's like people who used to be very involved in teamsports when they were young. There's less competition and team spirit when you're an adult. I know some people who where atheletes that just totally stopped training because they find that everything is boring.

No idea. I won't get back into muay Thai or BJJ until I am jacked strong. Strength matters a lot especially in MMA now. Days of Royce are over

Someone will do the same that royce did in the future, it's history repeating itself.

I don't like neck training it's better to build the traps that stabilize the neck.

lifting weights + bjj < bjj + striking training in a real fight bro.

I fit this profile so I'll give my two cents.. I'm mid 40's and a bjj purple belt with 9 years of consistent training. For me to incorporate strength training of any sort I would have to miss bjj classes. There's just not enough time between a demanding job, family and very sport active kids. As it goes I am able to catch 2 classes a week and on a good week maybe three. Those aren't often tho

Weightlifting will not make you a better wrestler, wrestling will make you a better wrestler.
Weightlifting indirectly makes you a better wrestler
There's a reason why strength training is a big priority in wrestling.
Why did this thread get so heated? Lifting and other exercises are a good supplement to BJJ. As long as you aren't replacing classes with lifting, it's a completely positive thing.
This is the problem with this forum, I never insulted anyone that didn't insult me.
I simply stated my experience with bjj compared to wrestling.

Awww did the jocks pick on you at school bud? Is that why you're so insecure?

Lol we got a 31 year old pencil neck blue belt trying to insult me for no reason.
I never insulted anyone who didn't insult me moron.
I simply stated that strength and conditioning is very applicable to bjj and more people should do it, but little frail men like yourself show insecurities in these discussions clearly.

Lol at roiding douchebag for saying more poeple should lift, pretty much confirms you're a pencil neck

You clearly have issues with yourself.
Find a hobby cause your post to like ratio shows you're shit poster, but I could already tell by your post that include no substance.
I plan on starting to do kettle bells this year.
Not going to make a huge deal if it. I can tire myself out in 15 minutes or so.

I really started to think about it after getting wrecked in competition. I’m in ‘average’ shape. While all of my opponents were athletic.
Seems like to hang in comp I’ll have to be in good of shape as the rest of competition.
Be careful don't tell people on sherdog you are lifting to improve your grappling, kid who never grappled a day in their lives will give you false advice.
Or pencil necks will call you names for advocating lifting...
Look at all the angry people in this thread just for advocating strength training..
There's clearly some massive insecurities.
You say you need to work on your strength from personal experience yet someone else will tell you stamina...lol
As if strength has no place in competitive grappling, it's almost as if nobody in this thread grapples or lifts.

Last edited:
Wrestling is more strength dependent than BJJ. That being said, a great wrestler knows how to utilize his body more effectively than a physically stronger laymen, evening the playing field.

Never understood this mindset. In wrestling everybody lifted heavy, but in bjj most people I talk too, don't lift weights, which blows my mind.
many respected teachers lift weights and it seems that most people I roll with (white belt to black belt) it was like a 3:1 ratio of guys who don't lift vs do lift.

There's obviously nothing like grappling with stronger heavier guys to develop that functional strength, however you can't do that all the time if you're trying to actually improve technically.
If you go from benching 135 to 275 1rp max you would have to be delusional to not think that strength is going to transfer over, I know for a fact my whole body is allot more robust from lifting heavy since hs wrestling, many people in bjj are under some sort of false belief, it's like some hispter bjj shit
/Rant
Stipe doesn't lift weights. Ngannou lifts weights. Enough said

Wrestling is more strength dependent than BJJ. That being said, a great wrestler knows how to utilize his body more effectively than a physically stronger laymen, evening the playing field.

How is wrestling more strength dependent than BJJ?

Stipe doesn't lift weights. Ngannou lifts weights. Enough said
Stipe definitely lifts he just doesn't enjoy it.

Thats my point man! A bjj based grappler with a certain level of grappling will benefit greatly from strength because they know how to apply that strength.
It's not only wrestling, wrestling definitely requires more strength because everybodys fighting for their lives to keep their back off Matt so it's more push and pull than bjj.
But bjj has various positions And submissions that would greatly benefit from strength (kimuras) for example.
Most importantly it makes you more robust and less likely to be injured it's s good way to optimize your training

Stipe definitely lifts he just doesn't enjoy it.

Thats my point man! A bjj based grappler with a certain level of grappling will benefit greatly from strength because they know how to apply that strength.
It's not only wrestling, wrestling definitely requires more strength because everybodys fighting for their lives to keep their back off Matt so it's more push and pull than bjj.
But bjj has various positions And submissions that would greatly benefit from strength (kimuras) for example.
Most importantly it makes you more robust and less likely to be injured it's s good way to optimize your training

Hmmm. He recently said on Joe Rogaines podcast that he doesn't lift weights

Hmmm. He recently said on Joe Rogaines podcast that he doesn't lift weights
Well he clearly lied, he's in a gym with a belt on and lifting shoes.
He probably doesn't hit any tricep pulldowns lol but he clearly lifts as part of strength and conditioning

Last edited:
Well he clearly lied, he's in a gym with a belt on and lifting shoes.
He probably doesn't hit any tricep pulldowns lol but he clearly lifts as part of strength and conditioning
Well that was 2015 & I could see how would do possibly be doing that workout as a joke. He certainly doesn't look like he lifts weights

Back