Why do so many people in bjj not lift weights

I hope you're no higher than a blue belt. I control guys a lot bigger and stronger than me all the time and never lift. In fact they even say "wow I didn't expect you to be so strong" umm im not. I just know what im doing
Why you so offended bud?
I never said you had to lift to be able to do that, but you would be better if you did lift that's my point
Lol the fact you guys get so butthurt about this is hilarious.

Why you so offended bud?
I never said you had to lift to be able to do that, but you would be better if you did lift that's my point

Im not offended. Im saying this is a dumb conversation. Yes if I were magically 20% stronger I'd be better than I am now, but that's obvious. The question is whether people have time for that and if it would take away from their training.

Im not offended. Im saying this is a dumb conversation. Yes if I were magically 20% stronger I'd be better than I am now, but that's obvious. The question is whether people have time for that and if it would take away from their training.
You guys act like you're going to magically lose all your grappling abilty if you take a few days off, it's not 'magic' it's work.
All the best grapplers take that time off to build their body's because that's the most optimal way to train.
Don't get snappy because I want more people to take the time and build their shells.

You guys act like you're going to magically lose all your grappling abilty if you take a few days off, it's not 'magic' it's work.
All the best grapplers take that time off to build their body's because that's the most optimal way to train.
Don't get snappy because I want more people to take the time and build their shells.

All the best grapplers take time in their day to lift because their job is to be good at grappling. When we work they get in some flow rolls then lift, then teach a class then do some drilling, then go to class, then rolll. Most of us have at best 1-2 hours a day after work.

But you do, you need to also build stamina, you need it for fighting, this is the secret weapon of lightweight people, lol.
Pretty much. Focusing an hour a week on the main strength exercises (pull-ups, squat, deadlift, row, dips) will give you great strength benefits without sucking up too much time.

In short then...
Most bjj guys don't lift because:
(A) they don't have the time
(B) they prefer doing bjj to lifting
(C) its just not in the culture of the sport compared to wrestling or other sports.

And most likely a combination of the 3

I also think that the number of skills you have to acquire in bjj is a lot higher than in other sports and for that reason strength and conditioning maybe be less useful than extra skill work.

You get the continuum of sports where almost totally skill is a one end, (darts, pool, etc) and at the opposite end nearly all power (sprinting, etc) and bjj is closer to the skill end than wrestling is. You don't see a lot of darts guys s + c programs out there.

Why would hobbyists not lift weights in addition to BJJ?

No time. They are not professionals.
No want. They do BJJ because that is what they enjoy.
More use out of adding an extra grappling practice.

The answers are simple for anyone not TS, it would seem.

In other words, this is a thread so that TS can say hes better than everyone else that doesn't lift.
Ive lifted longer than ive grappled, but there are still guys who don't lift, who can throw me around purely because theyre more skilled than me. No big deal.

Why you so offended bud?

This video is pointless, as the 'BJJ guy' isn't that good. You can tell that in his technique.

All the best grapplers take time in their day to lift because their job is to be good at grappling. When we work they get in some flow rolls then lift, then teach a class then do some drilling, then go to class, then rolll. Most of us have at best 1-2 hours a day after work.

It's not the one hour workout it's the half an hour or more transit time to get to the gym , the waiting time for the machines e.t.c. plus you will get gassed unless you're shooting or taking many costly supps.

It's not the one hour workout it's the half an hour or more transit time to get to the gym , the waiting time for the machines e.t.c. plus you will get gassed unless you're shooting or taking many costly supps.

I agree. I am also getting really pissed that my gym doesn't have a class at 5 or 530. My gym does advanced class 630 on monday and wednesday and 730 on tuesday and thursday. That means on the early day im leaving the house at 6 and getting home around 830 if I roll after class and leaving at 7 and getting home at 930 on late nights. It was fine when I was single, but GF don't put up with that shit.

When GF stops minding the delay, it's when she will be banging the neighbor.

This video is pointless, as the 'BJJ guy' isn't that good. You can tell that in his technique.
Right cause it could never happen to a purple belt

The difference in strength was a big factor In both the bjj guys not being able to impose their game, you can't just lay on your butt and expect everyone to enter your guard..

Right cause it could never happen to a purple belt

The difference in strength was a big factor In both the bjj guys not being able to impose their game, you can't just lay on your butt and expect everyone to enter your guard..

The first video was too long I didn't watch it, but strength wasn't the big factor in the 2nd video. The one guy was clearly a very good grappler while the other guy was just shit. Maybe he was a purple belt IDK.

Because:
- they are not young any more
- they work full time
- they are not on PEDs
- they don't wanna feel like shit/sleepy all the time

Because the bench press doesn't translate to the street duh!!!

I plan on starting to do kettle bells this year.
Not going to make a huge deal if it. I can tire myself out in 15 minutes or so.

I really started to think about it after getting wrecked in competition. I’m in ‘average’ shape. While all of my opponents were athletic.
Seems like to hang in comp I’ll have to be in good of shape as the rest of competition.

Back